Banana Bread French Toasts are a real treat for a special weekend breakfast. It combines banana bread, french toast, and coconut. The coconut goes amazingly well with the banana bread. It is a real winner!
I found this recipe from The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion – The All Purpose Baking Cookbook. The recipe called for eggnog which I am not a fan of and so I substituted it with half-and-half. Instead of sweetened shredded coconut, I use unsweetened coconut as the banana bread itself was already pretty sweet. Here is my adaption of the recipe.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (120ml) half-and-half or milk
- ¼ sp ground nutmeg
- 4 oz (110g) unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 slices banana bread
- Maple syrup (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, and nutmeg until smooth. Pour mixture into a shallow pan.
- Place slices of banana bread into the egg mixture. Allow the bread to soak up egg mixture for 30 seconds. Turn and do the same for the other side.
- Place grated coconut on a plate. Remove soaked bread from pan, place onto dessicated coconut. Turn and coat the other side.
- Heat butter in a large non-stick pan on medium heat. Transfer bread to pan and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.
NOTE: This post was updated on December 27th, 2012 with new pictures. No changes were made to the write-up or recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎