This Banana Bread French Toast is one special treat for a weekend breakfast or dessert. It is a must try if you happen to have left over banana bread. If not, make some using my Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread. Save it and pretend it is a leftover. Then make this scrumptious Banana Bread French Toast. It is a winner and you will not be disappointed!
I found the recipe from The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion – The All Purpose Baking Cookbook. The recipe calls for eggnog which I am not a fan of and so I substituted it with half-and-half (half milk and half cream). Instead of sweetened shredded coconut, I used unsweetened coconut as the banana bread itself was already quite sweet. Here is my adaption of the recipe.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (120ml) half-and-half or milk
- ¼ sp ground nutmeg
- 4 oz (110g) unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 slices banana bread
- Maple syrup (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, and nutmeg until smooth. Pour mixture into a shallow pan.
- Place slices of banana bread into the egg mixture. Allow the bread to soak up egg mixture for 30 seconds. Turn and do the same for the other side.
- Place grated coconut on a plate. Remove soaked bread from pan, place onto dessicated coconut. Turn and coat the other side.
- Heat butter in a large non-stick pan on medium heat. Transfer bread to pan and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.
NOTE: This post was updated on December 27th, 2012 with new pictures. No changes were made to the write-up or recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎