Coconut Candy

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

With a long weekend coming up, I decided to make a sweet treat today. Back when I was growing up, this Coconut Candy was very popular. It is pretty easy to make and relatively inexpensive as it requires only a few ingredients which most people have (except for the coconut) in their pantries.

Coconut Candy

The recipe calls for freshly grated coconut but since that is not easily available here, I used dried grated unsweetened coconut for this recipe. I am really delighted with the way the candy turned out. The Ro-Ri boys loved it!

Coconut Candy

The first time I made this candy, I used only condensed milk but not regular milk. The dried coconut was able to clump together with just the condensed milk. This time round, I used a little more coconut for a thicker candy. The dried coconut appeared really dry. I had to add half a cup of full fat milk to rehydrate it so that it could clump together. Because of that the cooking time had to be increased from 10 minutes to 20 minutes.

Coconut Candy

Coconut Candy

Yield: 24 cubes

Coconut Candy

• 2 2/3 cups (227g) dried unsweetened grated coconut
  • ½ cup (110g) sugar
  • ½ cup (120ml) milk
  • ½ cup (4 oz/160g) condensed milk
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 8 to 10 drops food coloring

Grease a 7-in x 5-in (18cm x 13cm) pan or rectangular container.

Melt butter in a non-stick pan on low heat. Add coconut, sugar, milk, condensed milk, vanilla essence, and food coloring. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and coconut clumps together, about 20 minutes.

Transfer mixture to prepared container. Level the surface with a spatula. Press down firmly with wax paper or plastic wrap. Set candy aside to cool.

After about 30 minutes, cut into cubes with a well greased knife. Allow candy to cool and set overnight.

Remove cubes from pan and store in an air-tight jar.

Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Coconut Candy

Coconut Candy

NOTE: This post was updated on August 21st, 2012 with new pictures. Minor changes were made to the recipe. Video was included on April 28th, 2012.

1. Mother Rimmy says:

I love coconut. These look like something I could make. I cook, but don't bake much. Love the pictures too!

2. pTsaldari says:

Really enjoyed my visit to your site and the Coconut candy. It's brilliant! Your presentation was wonderful and I shall return for another visit. Thank you for sharing,
    Cheers, PT
    You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

3. Cookin' Canuck says:

What a fun, easy recipe. This would be a treat that my family would definitely enjoy.

4. MaryMoh says:

Wow…with condensed milk. Must be very delicious. Hope to try soon.

5. Biren says:

This was a childhood treat and fun recipe to recreate. There were so few ingredients and it took just 10 to 15 minutes to make. The last time I had this was way back when. Mary's condensed milk recipe reminded me of this :)

6. pegasuslegend says:

This looks so much like the candy we had in Puerto Rico which we absolutely love, the ingredients sound like its the same one! Cant wait to try thanks for sharing part of your childhood memories!

7. Biren says:

Pegasuslegend – Thanks! It brought back good memories :)

8. DongXing says:

Tried this recipe after taking my daughter (6-1/2 years old) home from school. She is absolutely impressed and awarded me with top marks for such an "excellent" treat for a Friday afternoon. This brings back wonderful memories and taste of my childhood. Many many thanks for the recipes. Even my husband who doesn't like anything sweet, but loves coconut, can't stop eating, or sampling as he calls it!!!

9. Biren says:

I am so glad your daughter and husband enjoyed the treat. It is a fast and easy one to make.

10. DongXing says:

The coconut candies which I made on Jan 22 are all gone, much to my daughter's dismay. They were all eaten by my French sister-in-law and her family. I made another batch, pink this time, to appease my daughter. She is now in control of who gets them, making sure the father stays out too. Thank you, this is an easy teat to make.

11. Biren says:

I am glad your daughter likes the candy. It is good to know that the recipe is well received :)

12. subhie says:

hey biren…i lov this candy ad back home..r u frm malaysia?

13. Biren says:

subhie – I am glad that the recipe resonates with you. I have received similar remarks from other people of that region :)

14. ang says:

biren, do you have a good recipe for sugee cake? and keep up the great job, always such a pleasure visiting this site, reminds me of home!

15. Biren says:

@ang – Thanks for visiting! Actually I might have one somewhere. I have been thinking of making a sugee cake for sometime but I have to search for the sugee. Don't know where to get it. BTW, where is home for you?

16. Kathy Gori says:

This looks fabulous. Can’t wait to try this

17. Violet says:

This coconut candy reminds me so much of childhood days. I used to like them a lot. I heard that coconut candy with butter doesn’t last as long as those without. IS it true? Can I omit the butter and replace it with vegetable shortening ie Crisco or Copha (Australia)?

These turned out well with the butter and since it is not a big batch, they were gone pretty fast. I guess you could omit it or use Crisco but it will not have the fragrance of butter.

18. I would love to try this as Chinese New Year gifts this year, but would just like to know how long these can keep unrefridgerated?

19. Sasha Lane says:

Hi Biren. I love your website and being a born and bred Asian myself living in Washington State State now, I feel very close to home with all your wonderful blogs :) Thank you. Coconut Candy is one of my favourite snacks and I am going to try this. I have a question though, can I use coconut milk instead of regular milk?

:) Sasha

Thanks Sasha for the compliments. I am happy to hear you enjoy both my blogs. :) Please go ahead and use coconut milk if you wish. Just make sure you cook until the coconut clumps together and is quite dry so that the candy will harden and set.

20. Leslie says:

My son is getting married 8/31/13. Would love to make this, but am wondering, can I make ahead and freeze?

Congratulations on your son’s marriage, Leslie. Sorry I missed your comment and now the event is over. I was actually in Europe at that time and it somehow slipped my mind until now. Anyway, yes, I think you should be able to freeze these candies and put them out to thaw for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.

21. my husband loves to eat this… thank you for sharing!

1. April 2, 2011

[...] chicken curry, steamed glutinous rice, kuih pie tee (top hats), tahu bakar (stuffed grilled tofu), coconut candy, agar-agar (jellies), and an assortment of kuihs (steamed cakes). Drinks normally consisted of rose [...]

2. August 21, 2012

[...] previous time I posted about coconut candy was in January 2010. Back then I could not find fresh grated coconut and had to use dessicated [...]

3. September 18, 2013

[...] years later, after extensive research**, I have found the perfect recipe for it on Rotinrice. The only problem is that there was no actual need to edit it, and as frustrating as it is to not [...]

4. November 22, 2013

[…] 1. Coconut Candy Recipe: Roti and Rice […]

5. May 4, 2014

[…] We have a new video posted on the Roti n Rice Channel. I wanted to make a dessert and so I chose Coconut Candy, a childhood favorite of mine. I am happy to say that it is quite popular on YouTube as it is here […]