This Edamame Chicken Stir Fry is dish I concocted after my discovery of frozen edamame (green soy beans) not too long ago. I cook it often as it has become a family favorite. The preparation is quick and easy with the use of a few simple ingredients. It is a dish perfect for lunch or busy weeknights.
Edamame (green soy beans) was a relatively unknown ingredient outside of Japanese cuisine until recent times. It is now growing in popularity among health food circles and is readily available in the frozen section of most Asian grocery stores. The kernels have a crisp texture and a buttery and nutty flavor. Frozen edamame need very little cooking. Simply boil them for a few minutes and they are ready for use in salads or stir fries.
I sometimes garnish this Edamame Chicken Stir Fry with a little toasted sesame seeds. Today, I have decided to leave it out but it is delicious either way. Do give it a try. You will not be disappointed.
- 20 oz (560g) boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into quarter inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 cup (150g) frozen edamame (green soy bean kernels)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced at a diagonally
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, pepper, and corn starch in a bowl. Mix well and leave to marinade for 10 minutes.
- Boil edamame in a small saucepan for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add carrots and fry for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to pan. Sauté garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add chicken and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add boiled edamame and carrots. Season with salt. Stir to get everything well mixed. Turn off heat.
- Drizzle sesame oil over chicken.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: This post was updated on March 23rd, 2014 with new pictures and additional write-up. Minor changes were made to the original recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!