Mee Goreng literally means fried noodles in Malay. The main ingredients are yellow noodles, chilies, tomatoes, and eggs. Other ingredients may include shrimps, fried tofu, and bean sprouts. It is a much enjoyed street food in Malaysia and Singapore.
As Ro-Ri San assumes kitchen duty this weekend, Ro-Taro requested for him to make this dish. Through the years, Ro-Ri San has tweaked the recipe and adapted it to available ingredients here. A twist to this version is the inclusion of Spam (a.k.a. luncheon meat) and chili mix. Instant ramen is used instead of fresh yellow noodles because the latter is not easily available here.
This dish does take a little time to prepare but it is well worth the effort. Spam may be substituted with shrimps or eggs if preferred. Do give it a try. It is a wonderful weekend lunch kind of dish!
- 4 packets (12 oz/340g) instant ramen
- 1 pack (12 oz/340g) extra firm tofu, sliced into 1¼-in x ½-in x ½-in pieces
- 6 tbsp (80ml) vegetable oil
- 1 can (12 oz/3340g) Spam Lite, cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili, sliced
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 4 small potatoes, boiled, peeled, and cubed
- 2 tbsp McCormick chili mix
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cubed
- 8 oz (225g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Boiled noodles in a large pot of water for about 2 minutes. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Fry tofu until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining vegetable oil. Brown spam and onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, red and green chilies, potatoes, pan fried tofu, and 1 tablespoon McCormick chili mix. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add noodles, soy sauce, and remaining McCormick chili mix. Stir to get everything well coated and well mixed.
- Finally add tomatoes and bean sprouts. Stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately with lime wedges.
NOTE: This post was updated on June 29th, 2013 with new write-up and pictures. No changes were made to the recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎