Steamed Eggplants

Steamed Eggplants

Eggplants come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes but my favorite is the Chinese eggplant. It is long and slender with a deep purple color. The skin is thinner and the flesh more tender as compared to some of the rounder varieties.

Eggplants are like sponges capable of absorbing a large amount of oil when fried. Roasting or steaming them are healthier alternatives. My mom roasts them whole over charcoal fire. Once roasted, the skin is removed and the flesh cut into bite sized pieces. For steaming, she usually peels and cuts them into pieces before placing them on the steaming rack. Cooked eggplants from both methods are then dressed with soy sauce and garlic oil. Sometimes a little sambal (chili condiment) is added to the mix.

Steamed Eggplants

This Steamed Eggplants recipe is a slight adaptation of my Mom’s recipe. I added a little mirin (Japanese cooking wine) to the dressing to give it a slightly sweet flavor. It is simple yet tasty and can be prepared in 20 minutes. It is also an excellent vegetarian option and is delicious served with rice.

Steamed Eggplants

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 1 tbsp canola/vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 2 medium sized Chinese eggplants
  • 1 green onion, finely sliced
  • Dried bonito shavings, shichimi togarashi, sesame seeds (optional)
  1. Place minced garlic, canola oil, and sesame oil in a small microwave proof dish and microwave for 1Β½ minutes on high. Remove and add soy sauce and mirin. Stir to combine.
  2. Peel eggplant with a vegetable peeler. Cut into quarters lengthwise. Then cut into 2-inch pieces.
  3. Place eggplants on a steaming rack and steam for 10 minutes. Remove and drain.
  4. Pour oil and sauce mixture over eggplants. Garnish with spring onions and optional toppings (if using).
  5. Serve immediately.

This Steamed Eggplants dish is a favorite of the family. I cook it often to go with our regular rice meals. It is light, healthy, and delicious. Do give it a try.

Steamed Eggplants
NOTE: This post was updated on August 26th, 2013 with new pictures.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Biren

Comments

1. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says

Great way to prepare eggplant – which I love though as you say, it does suck up oil like a sponge. Saved for trying out!

2. Biren says

5 Star Foodie – The addition of mirin makes it really nice…..a little Japanese influence :)

denise@quickies on the dinner table – I hope you enjoy it….do make sure to drain it well as it also has lots of water in it!

Cajun Chef Ryan – Thanks!

Angie's Recipes – I love steamed dishes too and do a lot of it daily…..really healthy and easy!

3. Anncoo says

Eggplants can lower cholesterol. I like to cook eggplants with chilli. New time must try your steaming method.

4. Joy says

Biren I love this dish! My mother actually jsut taught me how to make steamed eggplant this past weekend — also the photo of the eggplant is very very good! I must try your recipe sometime, it looks delicious :)

5. Biren says

Anncoo – Yes, eggplants are really good in a spicy sauce but a little hard on the kids. My boys really enjoy it steamed.

Joy – Thanks Joy! It is so good to have Mom around to give advice. I hope you will try this recipe.

6. Table Talk says

I absolutely love eggplant, and add it to stiry-fries, soups, sauces, and anything else I can sneak it into. It is low in calories, and full of flavor.
    Love this steamed version!

7. says

I’m loving that bowl of sauce! πŸ˜€
    This is going to be the recipe I use the next time I buy eggplants! πŸ˜‰
    I’ll let you know how it turns out when tried! :)

Trackbacks