Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

This Lemon Poppy Seed Braid is the first loaf of bread I was ever taught to make. I was 12 years old at that time and was living in a small town with little else to do after school. My mentor was a Canadian lady who made the most wonderful baked goodies. My mom is a great cook but she is not a baker. She was more than happy to allow me to go over to Mrs. D’s house for my lesson in bread making.

Mrs. D made all kinds of breads and cakes but I was most captivated by her poppy seed braid. I asked if she could teach me how to make it and she kindly obliged. I went over to her house one day after school and was treated to some delicious cake before the lesson started. I remember having had to stand on a step stool to do the kneading. It was hard work for my then small hands and skinny arms but I thoroughly enjoyed the lesson. Mrs. D even gave me some fresh yeast so that I could make my own loaf at home, which I did the very next day.

Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

I do not have Mrs. D’s recipe with me any more as it was such a long time ago. I wrote it on a scrap of paper that got lost while I was busy growing up and forgot about bread making. All I remember was that it was a beautiful braided loaf with poppy seeds sprinkled on the top. The recipe below is my own creation made using Meyer lemons. The bread turned out beautifully with a golden crust and a moist and tender inside. Ro-Ri San and the boys loved it so much that I had to make another loaf two days later. Adding lemon to the low-fat milk is like using buttermilk. I guess that was what made the bread so tender and flavorful. I am sure this lemon poppy seed braid will make Mrs. D proud.

Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

Prep Time: 2 hours

Yield: 1 loaf

Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

• 1¼ cup (300ml) low fat milk
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3½ cups (525g) unbleached white bread flour
  • 2 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp rapid rise dry yeast
  • egg wash

Pour milk into bread machine pan. Add lemon juice. Sprinkle flour over milk. Add 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and lemon zest. Place butter, sugar, and salt in separate corners of bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the middle of flour and add yeast. Snap bread pan into bread machine and close lid. Set bread machine to dough setting. Press the start button.

Lightly oil a baking sheet.

When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Punch down gently and divide dough into 3 equal sections. Roll each section into a 14 inch rope. If it is too sticky, lightly flour it. Place on baking sheet and braid the three ropes like braiding hair. Press the ends together and tuck under. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 to 40 minutes or until double in size.

Preheat oven to 400?F (200°C). Brush braid with egg wash. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon poppy seed over braid. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

This bread is delicious served warm spread with some butter or lemon curd.

Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

Lemon Poppy Seed Braid

Biren

1. Sarah Naveen says:

Such a flavorful and yummy recipe..looks so perfect ..loved it :)

2. Pari says:

Hi Biren, I am so impressed with your bread I am sure Mrs. D will be so proud looking at it. Working with yeast is an art which I am yet to master, but ur bread inspires me to try my hand.
    Hope u find time to visit my space some time. Take care.

3. Cinnamon-Girl says:

What a perfectly braided bread! Just gorgeous. I bet it tastes every bit as good as it looks. Great for dipping in that yummy looking soup!

4. Divina Pe says:

Such a beautiful bread. It's nice to learn from other people and so much fun. I do miss that. I think I should visit a neighbor soon. :0

5. Tina says:

Soo soft and delicious bread…

6. Silence Sings says:

the brd looks so perfect…grt job…

7. Angie's Recipes says:

Great breakfast braided loaf!

8. MaryMoh says:

Looks perfect. I always love homemade bread. The smell and texture is just superb.

9. Princess says:

Biren

The bread looks absolutely delicious.I must give it a try.

10. Gulmohar says:

That's so flavorful..Great breakfast bread :-)

11. Nam (The Culinary Chronicles) says:

Ooooh–looks delicious! I'm hoping to pull up my sleeves some time this weekend and try my hand at some bread. :)

12. Kaitlin says:

This is such a beautiful loaf of bread. I would love to try it!

I hate losing recipes… I love that you were able to recreate it :)

13. Kathleen says:

This really makes me want to start baking bread. It is absolutely gorgeous! I also think the china tea cup and plate are stunning! Wow!

14. Biren says:

Sarah Naveen – Thank you.

Pari – It is very satisfying to make bread. I hope you will give it a try. BTW, I did visit your blog and left a comment on your latest post :)

Cinnamon-Girl – We did enjoy the bread very much. My youngest son loved it with the soup :)

Divina Pe – Thanks you. Yes, it is fun to learn from others. These are rare opportunities.

Tina – Thank you!

Silence Sings – Thanks!

Angie's Recipes – We had it for breakfast this morning with sliced turkey and cheese :)

MaryMoh – Homemade bread is really tasty. It is really worth the effort.

Princess – I hope you will try it :)

Gulmohar – Thank you!

Nam (The Culinary Chronicles) – Thank you! Bread making is very rewarding. I hope you will get to try it this weekend.

Kaitlin – Thanks for visiting and for your compliments. I wasn't sure at first if it will turn out well, but was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Kathleen – I have always been and still am a fan of braided breads. They look so appealing and homey. Thanks for your compliments :)

15. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says:

The foods that have the deepest place in our hearts are always the ones that come attached with warm memories. Beautiful loaf Biren, and a wonderful story!

16. Julie says:

This looks so delicious, I can almost smell it from here :)

17. Natashya KitchenPuppies says:

What a great loaf! So nicely braided. And I love the combination of lemon and poppy seeds.

18. Vanillastrawberryspringfields says:

Youer braided loaf is beautiful and the poppy seeds heightens the work of art …..

19. Table Talk says:

Absoultely beautiful bread, and so festive!

1. September 22, 2010

[...] Lemon Poppy Seed Braid [...]

2. April 2, 2011

[...] by it that I had requested for her to teach me how to make it. You can read about it in my Lemon Poppy Seed Braid post. I made a couple of loaves, left off, and got busy growing up. I related this story to Ro-Ri [...]