Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns have long been a symbol of Good Friday. There are many stories about the origin of these buns but the common thread is the significance of the piped icing cross on the bun. Throughout the week leading up to Good Friday and Easter Sunday, these buns are widely sold at the grocery stores.

These buns also bring to mind a nursery rhyme that I was acquainted with as a child. Some of you out there may know this old English rhyme.

Hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns!
One a penny
Two a penny
Hot cross buns!

If you have no daughters
Give them to your sons
One a penny
Two a penny
Hot cross buns!

Hot Cross Buns

This recipe was adapted from The Cooks Encyclopedia of Bread Machine Baking. I have made this several times in the traditional shape with the piped icing cross. I’m feeling a little creative this time, and decided to twist two thin dough ropes together to form the cross. As such, I had to make the buns a little larger so that the cross can sit on the bun.

Hot Cross Buns

• ½ tsp salt
  • 1½ tsp rapid rise dry yeast
  • 1½ tsp apple pie spice
  • ¼ cup (35g) dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup (40g) golden raisins
  • Egg wash

Pour milk into bread machine pan. Add egg. Sprinkle flour over. Add apple pie spice. Place butter, sugar, and salt in separate corners of bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the middle of flour and add yeast.

Snap bread pan into bread machine and close lid. Set bread machine to dough setting. Press the start button. Add cranberries and raisins 5 minutes before the end of the kneading cycle.

Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly oil a baking sheet. When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and place it on a lightly floured surface.

Punch down gently and divide dough into 6 equal sections. Shape 4 of the sections into ovals. Cut the remaining two sections into 4 strips each giving a total of 8 strips. Roll each strip into 12 inch ropes. Twist two ropes together. Cut twisted rope into two, one about 5 inches (12.5 cm) and the other 7 inches (18cm) in length and place onto oval shaped dough to form a cross. Tug ends under dough. Repeat with the remaining strips of dough.

Place onto baking sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place to rise for 45 to 60 minutes or until double in size.

Brush buns with egg wash. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Hot Cross Buns

Each bun is sufficient for two persons.

Hot Cross Buns

These buns are slightly sweet and have a very fine texture. Slice and serve warm with butter.

Have a Blessed Easter! :-)

1. Sarah Naveen says:

Awesome!! perfect and yummy!!

2. Tina says:

Looks delicious and perfect…

3. Anncoo says:

WOW! This is perfect for my breakfast!

Happy Easter Day! I've an award for you, please come and pick it up when you're free.

4. simply.food says:

Hot cross buns look lovely and soft in texture.Nice click too.My 1st visit here.You have a nice collection of recipies.

5. Supriya Nair says:

Delightful treat…looks very apt for a breakfast menu. Luv the clicks.

6. Casey Angelova says:

Those look amazing! I have a busy week of cooking coming up, but I might need to squeeze these in!

7. Kamalika says:

Hi Biren, now almost everyday I am listening to this rhyme with all the other becoz of my daughter….but never came to know what a hot cross bun is…thanks for sharing…u jst made it so perfect…just reading ur title my mind automatically started singing hot cross bun….:))

8. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says:

A lovely twist on the traditional version – I think yours is much prettier and looks yummier! I'd love one for my breakfast tomorrow *rubs growling tum* Or maybe one, right now! ;)

9. Subhie Arun says:

thats looks great feast dear…absolutely perfect bake… looks yummy n awesome shot too…luv ur recipes..glad to follow u!

10. Jagruti says:

Hi Biren
    stumbled down from another blog..just went through few of your post, beautiful and awesome! hotcross buns looks perfect!

Have a nice Easter!

11. Princess says:

The buns look great. Love your presentation.

12. Cherine says:

Those buns are absolutely fantastic!

13. Stella says:

Hey Biren, this looks wonderful. I like how you made a loaf instead of little buns! I bet that would make great French toast….

14. Biren says:

Sarah Naveen – Thanks for the compliment.

Tina – Thank you.

Anncoo – Thank you and a very Happy Easter to you too. You are so sweet. I will pick up the award later.

simply.food – Thanks for your compliments. Thanks also for visiting and following.

Supriya Nair – Thanks! We had 2 buns for breakfast this morning. Saving the other 2 for tomorrow :)

Casey Angelova – Thanks! Yes, you have to make these for the weekend.

Kamalika – The rhyme does have a catchy tune :)

denise@quickies on the dinner table – Thanks Denise! We will have the remaining two for breakfast tomorrow.

Subhie Arun – Thank you and thanks for following. Hope you return often :)

Jagruti – Thanks and thanks for following. A very Happy Easter to you too!

Princess – Thank you. Glad you like the presentation :)

Cherine – Thanks for visiting and for the compliments :)

15. Sortachef says:

These look almost too good to eat. I love the addition of pie spice. Great and Gorgeous – Thanks!

16. Yummy Team says:

Great buns! Nice presentation too..

17. Cookin' Canuck says:

What a lovely version of these traditional buns. I love the bread braid over top. It simply wouldn't be Easter Sunday without hot cross buns!

18. Cinnamon-Girl says:

These are just gorgeous! I love the crosses on top. I imagine they are every bit as delicious as they look!

19. Rumana Rawat says:

Looks delicious… i love to make this, but i always feel it is deficult for me to make. but i'll definitely try this out.:-)

20. Cooking Rookie says:

Your buns look great!

21. 5 Star Foodie says:

These look spectacular! Happy Easter!

22. luvtoeat says:

i liked that you added a cross on the top of the bun. that added a nice touch to it. those buns llok delicious!

23. Divina Pe says:

That is a perfect piece of bread, not only for Easter for also for regular days.

24. Peggy says:

VERY awesome presentation! Nice job, and they look so tasty!

25. ARUNA says:

They look gorgeous!!!

26. Angie's Recipes says:

These red cross buns are simply lovely and tempting!

27. Kathleen says:

Biren, your hot crossed buns look stunning!

28. Biren says:

Stella – Great idea! Maybe I should make some french toast with what's left :)

Yummy Team – Thanks for visiting and following :)

Cookin'Canuck – Thanks and I do try to make some hot cross buns every year.

Cinnamon Girl – Thank you. I wanted it to look a little different. Very pleased with the outcome :)

Rumana Rawat – It is easier than it looks. Do give it a try.

Cooking Rookie – Thanks!

5 Star Foodie – Happy Easter to you too!

luvtoeat – Thank you.

Divina Pe – Thank you. It can be sliced and used as sandwich bread.

Peggy – Thanks Peggy!

Aruna – Thanks for the compliment and for visiting :)

Angie's Recipe – Thank you.

Kathleen – Thanks Kathleen. I enjoyed making them :)

29. bunkycooks says:

These look lovely! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

30. Love this design.. Pinned it so that I have the design when I make my hot cross buns next week.