Ochazuke (Rice in Green Tea)

Ochazuke

It was a beautiful day here in the prairie, sunny with temperatures in the high 60’s. The perfect kind of day for a fun outdoor activity. After a late breakfast, I was thinking of a quick and light lunch so that we can have the rest of the afternoon free for our activity.

One of the quick meals that Ro-Ri San and I enjoy is Ochazuke which is rice in green tea. It is said to be a Japanese comfort food and is taken as a snack or a light meal. There is very little cooking to be done – just cook some white rice and make a pot of genmaicha. The rice and tea are normally accompanied by some seaweed, pickles, and furikake (rice shakes). A handy condiment tray that holding jars of soy sauce, sesame seeds, and shichimi togarashi (7 spice chili pepper) can be used to further flavor the dish.

Genmaicha is green tea combined with roasted brown rice. A few grains of popped rice resemble popcorn.

Ochazuke

Flavored anchovies are delicious in ocha-zuke. This beautiful tray with 3 different flavors was a gift from a good friend who just returned from Tokyo.

Ochazuke
Ochazuke

Takuan is Japanese pickled daikon. It comes in two colors – yellow or white. I prefer those without the coloring. I have added a few drops of soy sauce, beni-shoga (red pickled ginger), shichimi togarashi, and katsuobushi (dried shaved bonito) to this bowl of takuan.

Ochazuke""

Ocha-zuke (Rice in Green Tea)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 2 servings
  • 2 cups cooked medium grain rice
For the tea
  • 3 tsp genmaicha
  • 3 cups hot water (175°F/80°C)
Condiments
  • ¼ cup flavored anchovies
  • ¼ cup julienned takuan
  • ¼ cup nori strips
Garnish
  • Shichimi togarashi (seven flavor chili pepper)
  • Beni-shoga (red pickled ginger)
  • Katsuobushi (dried shaved bonito)
  • Soy sauce
  1. Divide the cooked rice into 2 separate bowls. Place flavored anchovies, takuan, and nori strips into small bowls. Add a few drops of soy sauce and sprinkle a little beni-shoga, shichimi togarashi, and katsuobushi over takuan.
  2. Pour a little hot water into a teapot. Swirl it around to warm up the teapot. Discard water. Place genmaicha in a brewing basket and place the brewing basket in the teapot. Pour 3 cups of 175°F (80°C) water into the teapot. Allow tea to steep for 1 minute. Remove brewing basket.
  3. Pour tea over rice and serve immediately with condiments and garnish.

This was my bowl of rice with the green tea, shichimi togarashi, seaweed, and soy sauce.

Ochazuke

We completed the meal with California cuties for dessert.

Ochazuke

This was the activity that took the rest of the afternoon….. Ro-Ri San in the lead, followed by Ro-Jiro and Ro-Taro.

Ochazuke

Biren brought up the rear.

Ochazuke

All our neighbors were grilling and so we decided to grill too.

Ochazuke

Spring greens, avocado, and grape tomato salad with roasted red pepper vinaigrette in a bottle. Hey, a girl has to have a break sometimes!

Ochazuke

Depositing back the calories…

Ochazuke

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. Kamalika says

HI biren…so u njoyed ur weekend in a full tune…loved the grills….I never tasted any japanese food yet….the table presentation is very welcoming and classy….

2. bunkycooks says

A girl definitely needs a break! I am all for that and I need it more frequently these days. It looks like you had a great afternoon!

3. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says

I've always been fascinated by Japanese rice in green tea but have not tried it yet. You've really spoiled us with all these lovely photos -thanks for putting in all that effort! It appears that you live in a beautiful place and I must admit, I'm just a little bit jealous ;)Another wonderful post Biren!

Btw, for a mother of two teenagers, you're one smoking hot mama!! 😀

4. luvtoeat says

What a beautiful table setting with the rice. I Agee, sometimes a girl does need to have a break. That's why I love BBQ season, let the hubby do all the work for a change 😉

5. Biren says

Kamalika – Thanks and yes, we had a lovely afternoon :)

bunkycooks – If only we have more of such days. Life gets too busy sometimes…sigh!

Rumana Rawat – Thanks!

Turmericnspice – Thanks!

denise@quickies on the dinner table – You have to try this as it is really easy. It is good with any kind of pickles and some Japanese rice shakes. It is really quite pretty out here especially when the weather cooperates. Love the sunny and still relatively cool days :)

LOL! I am glad you think so, but a picture can also hide a thousand flaws 😉

MaryMoh – Thanks!

Jay – It was a day well spent :)

Anncoo – Thanks!

5 Star Foodie – Thanks and the weather has been really nice.

luvtoeat – Thanks! I do enjoy setting the table even though the food is simple. It's great that barbecuing is a man's thing. That way we can sit back a little during the weekends :)

Jagruti – Thanks!

penny aka jeroxie – Thanks for visiting and for your lovely comments. Do give this a try as it is really easy to prepare.

tigerfish – Do give it a try. I never get tired of it as it can be different each time depending on the condiments used.

6. DongXing says

Hello Biren.

The japanese rice looks so classy and eye-catching. I love all those pickles, although I am the only one in the family who is crazy about it. Not that I am complaining, more for me, hee, hee, hee. By the way, do you toast the brown rice yourself or can you buy them ready toasted? I love green tea, and I think brown rice green tea would have another depth in flavour that I am keen to try. Yes, our BBQ is out too. We had our first BBQ for the year on Sunday, very very satisfying about the husband cooking it outdoors and me just sitting on the bench enjoying my punch and the sun. Long may it last, sunshine and BBQ!!!

7. Biren says

DongXing – Thanks! The tea comes with the toasted brown rice in it. Just look for packaged genmaicha and it should be ready to use. Some Japanese grocery stores do sell the toasted brown rice on its own and I've bought it once and added it to my sencha. I think it is better to just buy the genmaicha.

Gulmohar – Thanks! It was a lovely afternoon :)

8. Cinnamon-Girl says

Rice in green tea is a new dish to me. It sounds real good and fun to eat with all those accompaniments. It was nice to see you with your family enjoying the outdoors!

Trackbacks