Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita

Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita

Recently I found another interesting ethnic grocery store not too far from where I live. This Indian grocery store is pretty well stocked. There’s even a restaurant adjacent to it which I should try one of these days. Judging from the crowd in there, it must be pretty good. This store carries all kinds of basmati rice, flours, spices, and even fresh vegetables. They have all kinds of rotis (flat breads) in their frozen section as well. I especially like their snack aisle as they have a wide selection of snack mixes, boondi, maruku, fried and roasted chickpeas. I have taken a liking to the Kerala and Madras mixes. These are spicy snacks of peanuts, dhal, and boondi (fried gram flour puffs).

One day while I was checking out with two packs of the snack mixes in my basket, the lady at the store suggested that I might like to try mixing it with yogurt as a condiment to go with curries. That really piqued my interest as I have always like raita, a vegetable salad dressed in yogurt but have never tasted it with snack mixes. I was eager to give it a try.

Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita

When I got home I mixed two spoonfuls of the boondi with vanilla yogurt because that was the only kind I had in the refrigerator. It was a pretty good snack but not suitable as a condiment for a meal. The yogurt was sweet and the boondi was a little too spicy for me. Not satisfied, I went back to the store and bought plain boondi this time. She suggested that I mix in a little chopped mint leaves. Great idea!

Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita

My next stop was the health food store for a container of thick, rich, creamy Greek yogurt, a cucumber, and some cherry tomatoes. I was not disappointed this time. The raita was cool, minty, thick, creamy and refreshing with a nice crunch from the boondi. The addition of cumin and mustard seeds releases a nice fragrance and sweetness to the salad.

Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 1 cucumber
  • 6 cherry or grape tomatoes
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp mustard seeds
  • ½ cup (20g) boondi (gram flour puffs)
  • ½ cup (113g) plain yoghurt
  • 1 tbsp thinly sliced mint leaves
  1. Peel cucumber with vegetable peeler leaving strips of the skin unpeeled. Slice cucumber into quarters lengthwise. Slice off seeds. Halve each strip of cucumber again lengthwise and then cut crosswise into cubes.
  2. Salt cucumber with ½ tsp salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Drain.
  3. Slice baby boy tomatoes into quarters by cutting lengthwise and then crosswise. Set aside.
  4. Toast cumin and mustard seeds in a pan for about 2 minutes. Remove and allow it to cool.
  5. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.
  6. Serve immediately.

This cool tasty Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita is delicious with curries or grilled meats. The boondi (gram flour puffs) provide a nice crunch.

Cucumber, Tomato, and Boondi Raita
NOTE: This post was updated on May 16th, 2014 with new pictures. No changes were made to the recipe.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Signature WP

Comments

1. Cristina says

How nice to have these type of mkts close. I don't know of any types of specialty mkts or even farmers mkts closeby. :( You've mentioned some new types of food I've not heard of…I need to get out more! =) I'm so on a salad binge right now and this looks inviting…perfect!

2. rotinrice says

It is really fun to visit all these ethnic markets and to discover new things :) With the weather warming up, it is really nice to have salads. As soon as I finished the photography, I had half the salad. It was really cool and refreshing.

3. roxan says

I love browsing at markets too! It's so funny, I don't go window shopping at the mall anymore, I go to different grocery stores.

4. Miranda says

I would love it, but I would not be allowed to make this. LOL.
    My husband stays clear from all white and creamy: Mayo, Sour Cream. Cream Cheese…He is odd. :) Oh well…..More for me. 😛

5. Cook with Madin says

Hi, this salad looks refreshing, great for summer time. I would love to try this. There's an Indian grocery not too far from where we live, I will buy some boondi, my husband loves trying new recipes. Thank you for sharing.

6. Rick says

You should open an online store full of unique grocery products. Maybe called "Biren's Buys". It would be a hit.

7. MaryMoh says

I have not tried, actually haven't seen, boondi. Got to try to find it. Your salad looks delicious.

8. lequan@luvtoeat says

That is a gorgeous presentation Biren. When I first saw the picture I was intrigued to find out what was in this beautiful dish. What a magnificent combo of ingredients. Both minty, and refreshing at the same time. I have never had boondi before. Thank you for opening my eyes to them. Have a great weekend Biren.

9. Mary says

What a lovely salad for warm weather. It really sounds delicious. Tibet is one of the countries. You still have 2 more to identify :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

10. xiaoyen says

I have everything listed in the ingredients except the boondi. The unfortunate thing for me not being able to find a single Indian store in my city. I was able to find most of the spices at my local health food store. This salad looks so healthy and yummy!

11. Reeni says

The market sounds wonderful! And so does this raita! I never had boondi before – nor heard of them. I am always learning of new foods from you. I would love to try this.

12. rotinrice says

Markets are fun places to browse. Whenever I visit a place, I make it a point to go to their local market :)

13. rotinrice says

You can make the salad without the boondi. It will still taste good, just without the crunch.

14. denise fletcher says

Great salad – a nice take on traditional raita! I've never tried boondi before. It always struck me as very greasy looking because of the greasy smear on the inside of the packaging! Maybe I need to find the right manufacturer? I'll look out for a better one and give this a try next time I make a yogurt salad. Thanks for the inspiration :)

15. I Just Love My Apron says

This is a great summer dish. I can picture it when you described the texture, Biren. I like the crunchy texture! It's fun to have ethic stores closeby.

16. tigerfish says

The raita usually tones down the heat of other spicy Indian dishes. You have a creative take on this one. You must be happily exploring the Indian grocery store ;p

17. Ren says

Hello- So happy I found your blog- Your foods look so great and I look forward to trying some of the dishes you made.
    Nice to meet you.

18. sweetlife says

beautiful salad, I have not found any new markets here…maybe I should drive araoud more often…i have never tried boondi before..great recipe

sweetlife

19. CaseyAngelova says

This looks like a great salad. If I can find the boondi, I would love to add this to my memorial day menu. Thanks for sharing Biren!

Trackbacks