Quick breads are a snap to prepare as the ingredients are simply mixed together in a large bowl, spooned into a loaf pan and baked. In less than one and a half hours you will have a warm delicious loaf on the table. Preparation only takes 15 to 20 minutes and the baking itself is about an hour. No wonder they are so popular.
This Dates and Zucchini Bread recipe was adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. I halved the sugar and nuts and added half a cup of chopped dates. There was enough sweetness in the dates to make up for lack of sugar. Actually I think half a cup sugar is plenty. I also added a half cup milk as it appeared to be a little dry while I was mixing the ingredients together. That really helped as the bread was tender and moist and not too dense.
- 1½ cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (110g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (60ml) low fat milk
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- ½ cup (80g) chopped dates
- ¼ cup (25g) chopped walnuts
- Grease and flour a 9-in x 5-in loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350?F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, egg, vegetable oil, milk, and zucchini. Add dry mixture to zucchini mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in dates and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and allow it to cool completely.
This bread makes a great mid morning or afternoon snack. If you like the idea of zucchini bread but want it for breakfast or dinner, check out my Zucchini Loaf. I do have another recipe using dates as in Dates and Granola Bread.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!