Berry Good Banana Split

Enjoy a banana split and raise money for the OCRF, Ovarian Cancer Research Fund! Foodbuzz is posting a challenge and a Top 9 takeover on Monday, July 19th for this cause and will donate $50 for every Banana Split posted by a Featured Publisher. You can read more about this cause at Kelly Confidential.

With the abundance of berries at the stores right now, I decided to make my own strawberry sauce to go with the banana split. It is a very simple recipe that does not have too much sugar in it. This sauce will also be good with scones which will come in a following post.

Strawberry Sauce
1 lb strawberries (hulled and quartered)
¼ cup sugar

Place strawberries and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and let cool. The sauce should be thick and syrupy.

For the chocolate sauce, I melted ¼ cup Nestle’s Toll House semi-sweet chocolate swirls in the microwave at 50% power setting for 60 seconds. Stir in 2 tablespoons of milk and microwave at 50% power setting for another 30 seconds.

Other Ingredients
Strawberries, hulled and sliced into quaters lengthwise
Raspberries
Blueberries
Chocolate chip swirls
Whipped cream
Maraschino cherries

To assemble, peel banana and slice in half lengthwise. Lay the two halves in a boat or bowl. Slice banana to fit. Put two to three scoops of ice cream between the banana halves. Place berries and chocolate chips decoratively in the bowl. Drizzle with chocolate and strawberry sauce. Top each scoop of ice cream with whipped cream and cherries.

These are our other creations. Have fun!

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!

Comments

1. leaannbrown says

Beautiful! Thanks for the heads up about the Banana Split Event. I hadn't seen anything about it yet. Most certainly will try to participate.

2. Stella says

Oh my gosh, Biren, I was thinking about making a banana split recently. Yum! Yours looks so delicious. I love the look of it in your photos, especially with that pretty cherry *drool*

3. lisa says

you have won the banana split award! looks very delicious and sweet. love the abundance of strawberry!
    Lisa
    CookNg Sisters

4. Cristina says

The strawberry sauce sounds fantastic. Very nicely put together, Biren. Really like those banana split boats.

5. love2cook says

GOSH, the Banana split with berries are making me go ga-ga now! I really really feel like grabbing the glass over the screen. Hehehehe…

6. Liv Wan says

This banana split looks so yummy. Especially the strawberry sauce….I will try to make it at home this weekend. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

7. denise fletcher says

I love the first sundae – and you made your own strawberry sauce? Very rajin, you LOL Best of luck for the challenge. Hope you win!!!

8. lequan@luvtoeat says

Beautiful and yummy looking banana splits Biren. I'm afraid to show my daughter as I know she would want one.

9. Megan says

Yum diddly dee yum yum! Wow, I have not made a banana split in such a long time! I just made homemade raspberry ice cream… time to get the bananas. Thanks for mentioning the great cause! Love that you did this! ♥ miss megan

10. anncoo says

WOW Biren! The banana splits look lovely with all that berries on it! Can't wait to try some. Going to make one too :)

11. Lazaro says

Great, great job with these Banana splits. I am a big fan of your creations. Good luck with the contests!

12. rotinrice says

Thanks Stella! I had fun with this one – assembling and eating, of course! Good thing I have two teenagers here to help with the eating :)

13. rotinrice says

Thanks Cristina! We had fun with this one. The boats are really nice but having to decorate 3 scoops in this weather and still having to take pictures is a challenge. The ice cream melted but it still tasted pretty good :)

14. rotinrice says

Thanks Leanne! It was fun putting these together. My teenagers enjoyed it and wouldn't mind having it more often.

15. rotinrice says

I do too but it was my eldest who got to eat that one. The strawberry sauce is easy peasy. I do every year when the strawberries go on sale. Thanks!

16. rotinrice says

It's really easy to put together. You can get the strawberry and chocolate sauce in bottles. A healthier version is to just assemble them with the berries and fresh cream.

17. Anna says

Oh Biren, that looks awesome, and it's lovely to help. All those berries make it healthier right? Guilt free. :-D

18. Reeni says

Your banana split looks scrumptious with your homemade strawberry sauce! And it's such a great cause – I hope I have time to get my entry in.

19. Julie M. says

Yum! Your banana splits look divine! I'm sure my kids would love if I participated in this event. Enjoy your dessert!

20. sweetlife says

oh great split, my gilr slove adding all kinds of "EXTRAS" to their creation.,..great cause..and wonderful pics, glad you helped out
    sweetlife