Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

One of the many joys of summer is to visit the farmers markets around the city. Most of these markets are a collection of stalls from various farms and they offer a good selection of produce, meats, plants, dairy products, baked goods, honey, flavored vinegars, bottled jams, pickles and relish, fresh flowers, and even crafts. Many specialty produce such as zucchini flowers, heirloom tomatoes, fingerling potatoes, fresh peppers, and the likes can most likely be found in these markets.

Some of these markets are family owned and they sell produce mainly from their own farms. One such market here in Minnesota is the Marshall’s Farm Market in Eden Prairie. This is a quaint market offering fresh, locally grown produce from their own farm two miles away. While they are not certified organic, they follow many organic growing practices and techniques. To complement their fresh produce, they also offer some products from nearby farms and businesses which include organic tortilla chips, salsa, jams and jellies, maple syrup, popcorn, apples (in season) caramel, and fresh bakery items. These goodies arrive daily at the market. Marshall’s is open July through early November.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

They do such a great job in displaying their produce. Antique kitchen appliances are used and displayed throughout the market. Prices are indicated using little chalk boards.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

This is the little country store adjacent to the market where they offer their dried goods and other products.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

Next to the market is the Marshall’s Garden offering plants, shrubs, trees, herbs, vegetables, and garden accessories for those who like to work the soil. There is a nice selection to keep you busy for the season.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

Perhaps the most showy display at Marshall’s Gardens is their enormous hanging baskets. Some of the flowers in these baskets are petunias and impatiens which come in a myriad of colors.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

This was my bounty from Marshall’s. I finally succumbed and bought some herbs even though it is a little late in the season. I came home and immediately prepared two dishes from my purchases. I used the rosemary in the Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary recipe below.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary

This is a good recipe to use your flavored salts and specialty peppers. Good, fresh produce need very little else. And now, the recipe…..

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 2 zucchinis, sliced into ¼ inch thick coins
  • 2 yellow squash, sliced into ¼ inch thick coins
  • 2 sausages, sliced into ¼ inch thick coins (any type)
  • 1 medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 sprigs rosemary, stems removed and roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • Freshly ground flavored salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Olive oil
  1. Lightly coat a large fry pan with olive oil. Pan fry zucchinis, yellow squash, and sausages in a single layer 2 to 3 minutes each side over medium heat until lightly brown. Fry in batches. Do not over crowd pan. Remove and set aside.
  2. Add onions and fry until translucent. Add rosemary and red pepper flakes. Stir, remove and set aside.
  3. Combined cooked zucchinis, yellow squash, sausages, and onions in a large bowl. Grind salt and pepper over vegetables. Add lime juice and toss to get vegetables seasoned.
  4. Serve immediately.

Pan Fried Summer Squash and Sausages with Rosemary
Disclaimer: I did not receive any monetary compensation for this write up. What was written are my personal thoughts and view.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Biren

Comments

1. lequan@luvtoeat says

"Good fresh produce need very little else." Well said Biren. I love all the fresh ingredients in your dish. Nothing too overpowering to take away the freshness of the squash and zucchini. The only problem I have with farmer's markets is that everything looks so fresh and delicious I want to buy it all.

2. redkathy says

What a lovely market. One of the few things I miss about living up north. I ate squash last night, would have been way better with some fresh rosemary! Love this dish!

3. IJust LoveMyApron says

Biren, seemed like you knew my thought :) I was thinking the other day what to do with my fresh rosemary from the garden. This is perfect. Also, the fresh produce you got going on here are easy to access at any where. Great dish for a side dish!

4. roxan says

You're in MN right? I would absolutely love to visit the farmers market up there! I bet they are beautiful. Thanks for this recipe, I have a bunch of summer squash i'm trying to use up myself :)

5. Reeni says

What a gorgeous market! That is the neatest stacked produce I have ever seen! And your dish is so fresh and bright! Surely delicious. I love how you allow the flavors to shine through. Thanks for linking it to the Showdown!

6. rotinrice says

They really do such a good job at making everything look so appealing. You should see them all decked out for fall with the apples, pumpkins, and squashes.

Glad I am able to join in this time :)

7. Elin says

Biren, thanks for sharing such wonderful pics of the store and market place with us. If only I have the chance to visit these places…God alone knows , I would have bought back the whole trolley of fresh veggies ! To a foodie…this is paradise :))

Your squash dish looks delish…simple , light and easy to prepare :) Tq for sharing the recipe.

8. denise fletcher says

Such a fantastic market and a whimsical and almost pretty store! Love how it's decked out.

A really simple and great looking side dish. I like the fresh and simple flavours. You're so right about good produce needing little else!

9. Patty Price says

Nice simple summer meal using all that yummy squash! How did you get all the beautiful photos of the market? Every farmers market I go to the people are swarming over everything! I got few shots at my local market but not very many.

10. Cook with Madin says

This is a lovely dish, simple yet full of flavors. Amazing market you got there, makes me want to go and shop there.

11. rotinrice says

I was there early and they were just setting up. In fact not all the veges are out yet and I had to wait a while for them to display it.

12. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says

Oh, the farmers market is my favorite weekly errand! But I don't buy summer squash –I have them coming out of our communal garden like crazy. We have been using sauteed squash in place of potatoes or pasta in many dishes, just for the sake of not wasting them! This looks fantastic. I know what my next squash dish will be!

13. the lacquer spoon says

Thanks for the beautiful photos, and lots of summer produces in one dish! Looks so refreshing :)

14. Carolyn Jung says

A great dish that, no doubt, tastes especially of summer. It's my fave season for precisely all those great veggies in your pretty photos.

15. MaryMoh says

Oh…what fun I always love farmer's market…so much to see and buy. Love your dish. I would love that for lunch…mmm

16. Mary says

I loved your photos today. Your squash and sausage casserole sounds just wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

17. Devaki says

Dear Biren – You are totally my kind of gal! You love sausage too! I just don't get people who don't care for it – I could eat it till I a blue in the face but thankfully I don't! :)

So wonderful the way you've fried the summer squash bounty with them – delicous! Your farmer's market looks so beautiful and well organized not like ours where lots of stuff is just piled high on ratty table :)

Lovely, flavorful post.

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

18. Anncoo says

WOW! I think this is great place to visit. I really love all those fresh vegetables and your dish looks colorful and appetizing.

19. Stella says

Hey Biren, I wish there was a place like that near me. There just isn't. I've searched high & low (smile). I'm glad you have one though, and your produce looks stellar. I feel like seared dishes like this one with squash and sausage are 'real food' too-easy & delicious!
    p.s. I can't complain too much about not having a cute country store, as I do have an organic farm near my house. They close for summer, but will open again in three weeks. So thank heaven for that (smile).

20. Velva says

What a beautiful Farmer's Market. The produce is stunning. I can see you have a made a great squash dish. The Summer vegetable that keeps on giving all season.
    Thanks for taking us along on your trip to the Farmer's market.

21. Joyti says

I don't eat pork (or beef) but otherwise this recipe looks amazing! Think I might try it out with soy sausages…it seems to summery.

22. Julie M. says

Ok, this entire post got my mouth watering. From the beautiful dish to the quaint little farmers market. I wish we had a farmers market as cozy as that one!

23. Chef Dennis says

what beautiful images , I love those yellow squash, so bright and beautiful! squash does lend it self so well to so many dishes, yours looks delicious!!

24. cozydelicious says

What beautiful pictures! And a perfect summer recipe. I have a ton of summer squash to use up – this will be great. Thank you!

25. Angie's Recipes says

The rosemary summer squash dish looks so fresh and delicious! I really enjoy this fresh summery post.

Angie

26. Cristina says

What a beautiful market…wish we had something like that here – it would be my new favorite place to visit. This is my kinda dish, your pan fried squash and sausage/rosemary. Great flavor combinations!

27. Judy / BebeLoveOkazu says

Biren, What a lovely summer dish! Marshall's seems like a wonderful market. I would love to shop there!

28. Kristi Rimkus says

I live in farm country, so farmer's markets are just around the corner. My favorite place to shop for produce. It supports local farming and the food is fantastic. I love how you've kept this dish simple and let the flavors of the veggies shine through.

29. nandini.p says

Hi first time here and iam glad i found it. Beautiful pics and nice collection of recipes. Love this summer salad. Adding sausage never would have occured to me… Thanx .

30. Kelly @ HotCookin' says

Biren, What a great combination! Squash, onions and sausage sauteed together…. The flavors are fantastic, I bet. I'm going to make your dish this weekend with some (homemade) cheese biscuits. Wonderful photos, too!

31. HoneyB says

I found your post through Reeni – and I am so glad I did! This is the one day I don't really have a meal plan for this week and I have everything to make this! I think it looks delicious and will make a meal of this with some crusty homemade Italian bread! Yum!

32. Liv Wan says

The farmers market seems so cool. I wish we have the same thing in Edinburgh as well. Your dish looks looks so refreshing and tasty. It seems like a perfect dish for summer to me. 😉

Trackbacks