Curried Corn Chowder

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Curried Corn Chowder

Cloudy skies and autumn rains mark the beginning of the end of summer. As the weather turns colder, we turn to rich, thick, creamy soups to warm the stomach and ward off the cold. It is a good time for making this Curried Corn Chowder while fresh corn is still easily available at the grocery stores.

Curry powder and ground ginger give the Curried Corn Chowder greater flavor. The potatoes provide volume while the corn reminds us that summer is not quite done yet. There is still hope for an Indian summer before the first snow fall.

Curried Corn Chowder

Curried Corn Chowder

• 6 ears of corn
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, stalks removed
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 6 cups (1.5 liters) chicken stock
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1 cup (240ml) half-and-half/milk/single cream

Cut off corn kernels from the cobs. Set aside.

Heat butter in a large pot. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Stir in curry powder, ground ginger, and all-purpose flour. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.

Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Add potatoes and corn kernels. Bring soup back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove pot from stove. Puree to desired consistency using an immersion blender.

Season with salt and pepper.

Add half-and-half/milk/single cream and allow it to heat through. Turn off stove.

Serve this warm and comforting Curried Corn Chowder with your favorite crackers, croutons, or crusty bread.

NOTE: This post was updated on September 12th, 2014 with new pictures.

1. Stella says:

This sounds super delicious, Biren. I love that you used fresh corn. I don't usually do that-don't tell anyone though (smile). It's really b/c the corn is so expensive here, unless I go down to an organic farm about an hour away. I did that one time this last summer…
    Anyway, look yummerz and warming;)

2. Pam says:

Biren, great recipe that I have to try. We love corn chowder! This will probably be the last week for fresh sweet corn at the farmer's market. So sad. It's really chilly here this morning, around 48 degrees so this bowl of chowder would be a wonderful thing!

3. 5starfoodie says:

So comforting and delicious! I would love the curry flavor!

4. Mary says:

What a lovely chowder Biren. It looks and sounds delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

5. Sommer says:

Delicious! I've been making soup this week as well!

6. rumana says:

Very comforting and delicious:)

7. aipi says:

Oh, this looks so good n sounds so delicious ! A real good fall harvest recipe for cool nights!

US Masala

8. Anncoo says:

WOW! A comforting soup, wish I could try some :)

9. lequan@luvtoeat says:

Now THAT'S comfort food! Oh how I want a bowl right now. Believe it or not, we're already in single digit (celcius) weather here :(
    I bet this tastes amazing with all those combined flavors. Great recipe, and perfect timing Biren. Have a lovely weekend!

10. IJust LoveMyApron says:

I second LeQuan! this's a comfort food and my kind of soup. It's such a good dish to welcome Fall. Oh, you used fresh corn. i like it. this is full of warm spices!

11. Cristina TeenieCakes says:

Biren – what a lovely, comforting soup. Among many things, I ♥ soups and this bowl of chowder looks welcoming with the little soup crackers next to it. {Sigh} – wish we had a Fall season too. Have a fantastic weekend! :)

12. Patty Price says:

Hi Biren Love your soup recipe. I just found red corn in the market so of course I couldn't resist and brought it home with me. I'm going to make soup again this weekend, just feeling like comfort food too:)

13. Kristi Rimkus says:

I love that you use fresh ingredients here, even down to the corn. It has to make such a difference in the flavor!

14. Kamalika says:

Biren, I too make this kind of flavoured soup but I never added curry powder or thyme…..will try this one next time when I will cook this kind of soup….

15. rotinrice says:

We are on the same page :)

16. rotinrice says:

With corn in season, it is best to use fresh corn :)

17. rotinrice says:

I love fall and all the scents and aroma of fall. It's wonderful! I hope you have a fantastic weekend as well.

18. rotinrice says:

Red corn? I have only seen the dried ones. One or two red ones in the mix will make the chowder look so pretty.

19. rotinrice says:

I like fresh sweet corn as it is so sweet. Whenever I eat steam corn, I like it plain without butter or salt. They are delicious just the way they are.

20. rotinrice says:

Curry powder and ground ginger give the soup greater warmth perfect for this time of the year.

21. Francine05 says:

This sounds like a great recipe for me this weekend.
    Have some fresh corn I'm wanting to use.
    Will substitute rice flour for all-purpose as I'm gluten free.

22. NasiLemakLover says:

this curry is new to me, it look so healthy and delicious!

23. Angie's Recipes says:

wow I must try this…looks super creamy and comforting!

24. MaryMoh says:

Mmmm….love this with curry flavour. Would be so good with crusty bread.

25. Joanne says:

The Indian twist on a New England classic sounds fantastic! You are the queen of fusion!

26. leaannbrown says:

I am loving the curried version of this chowder! Bookmakred!

27. MissionFood says:

This looks excellent :)

28. Ma What's For dinner says:

Oh yeah…how do you make corn chowder even better????? Add curry! Count me in.

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner ” target=”_blank”>http://www.mawhats4dinner.com

29. Monet says:

This is exactly what I need/want right now. A big bowl of warm soup! Thank you for sharing a recipe that can help bridge us from summer to fall! And I love the addition of curry too!

There are also some cloudy skies over here. Good time for your chowder :)

31. jau says:

sounds very healthy n mouthwatery…very proffessional clicks dear

Tasty Appetite

32. Tanvi says:

Oh…thats comfort in a bowl!! Adding curry powder to chowder is a brilliant idea!!

33. Julie M. says:

Biren, This is absolutely my kind of food. I so love soups and can hardly wait for it to start to cool down so I can cook some up. This corn chowder looks so tasty! I love the addition of curry!

34. Satrupa says:

Dear Biren,
    Weekend is my fav time for blog hopping …….. n see where I stumbled this time, upon a warm bowl of corn chowder ….. purrrfeeecccct for a cool eve !! You have an awesome space.

I am going to hang around your kitchen for more …….. he he. Following you.

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
    Satrupa

35. denise fletcher says:

Hi Biren :)

What a lovely dish to bid summer goodbye and herald autumn's arrival! I made something vaguely similar with squash and corn recently that I will post soon.

I find the combination of curry spices and thyme absolutely intriguing! You really have such beautiful tableware – the bowl is gorgeous, as is the plate and I have that very same spoon LOL

I hope you get your wish for a beautiful Indian summer, before autumn arrives in all her tawny glory :)

36. Cooking Gallery says:

The soup looks very comforting Biren. Well done :)!

37. Maan says:

I love your blog. I got hungry! I surely will be going back to try some of your delectable recipes :)

38. cozydelicious says:

It has totally gotten cold cold cold all of a sudden and this soup looks like the perfect way to warm up! I bet the texture is fantastic. Yum!

39. Nate @ HouseofAnnie says:

You can freeze the corn now and make this soup later in the cold of winter, when this soup will warm both the heart and the stomach.

40. Megan says:

Hi Biren… this looks delicious! We just made corn chowder last week and loved it. You are right the corn and potatoes just are the perfect balance between summer and fall – Have a super Monday! – Megan

41. Faith says:

I've been turning to soups for warming meals too. Your curried corn chowder looks amazing!

42. rotinrice says:

Hi Maan, thanks for visiting and commenting. Please visit often :)

43. rotinrice says:

Yes, I do freeze whatever is leftover as I normally buy by the dozen. Of course fresh is best :)

44. rotinrice says:

The curry spices and thyme worked quite nicely. I love thyme and use it liberally.

Thanks for the compliments on my tableware. I am an avid collector :) Fall is lovely when it is dry and sunny. The weather this weekend was just gorgeous. The leaves are already changing color.

45. Erica says:

I made this recipe after seeing the pic on Tastespotting. I didn't use carrots, substituted some sour cream for the 1/2 and 1/2, veggie broth for chicken, and dried thyme. It tasted delicious! Thanks for a new way to enjoy corn from my CSA!

46. rotinrice says:

Hi Erica! Thanks for visiting and letting me know you enjoyed the recipe. You've made my day!

47. Reeni says:

I just love soup season! And this is truly comforting and delicious, Biren! It looks super creamy and I love the curry spice in it.

48. magicofspice says:

This is such a lovely recipe…a beautiful chowder :)