Curried Corn Chowder

Curried Corn Chowder

Cloudy skies and autumn rains mark the beginning of the end of summer. As the weather turns colder, we turn to rich, thick, creamy soups to warm the stomach and ward off the cold. It is a good time for making this Curried Corn Chowder while fresh corn is still easily available at the grocery stores.

Curry powder and ground ginger give the Curried Corn Chowder greater flavor. The potatoes provide volume while the corn reminds us that summer is not quite done yet. There is still hope for an Indian summer before the first snow fall.

Curried Corn Chowder

• 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, stalks removed
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 6 cups (1.5 liters) chicken stock
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1 cup (240ml) half-and-half/milk/single cream
  1. Cut off corn kernels from the cobs. Set aside.
  2. Heat butter in a large pot. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. Stir in curry powder, ground ginger, and all-purpose flour. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
  4. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
  5. Add potatoes and corn kernels. Bring soup back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove pot from stove. Puree to desired consistency using an immersion blender.
  7. Season with salt and pepper.
  8. Add half-and-half/milk/single cream and allow it to heat through. Turn off stove.

Serve this warm and comforting Curried Corn Chowder with your favorite crackers, croutons, or crusty bread.

NOTE: This post was updated on September 12th, 2014 with new pictures.

Comments

1. Stella says

This sounds super delicious, Biren. I love that you used fresh corn. I don't usually do that-don't tell anyone though (smile). It's really b/c the corn is so expensive here, unless I go down to an organic farm about an hour away. I did that one time this last summer…
    Anyway, look yummerz and warming;)

2. Pam says

Biren, great recipe that I have to try. We love corn chowder! This will probably be the last week for fresh sweet corn at the farmer's market. So sad. It's really chilly here this morning, around 48 degrees so this bowl of chowder would be a wonderful thing!

3. lequan@luvtoeat says

Now THAT'S comfort food! Oh how I want a bowl right now. Believe it or not, we're already in single digit (celcius) weather here :(
    I bet this tastes amazing with all those combined flavors. Great recipe, and perfect timing Biren. Have a lovely weekend!

4. IJust LoveMyApron says

I second LeQuan! this's a comfort food and my kind of soup. It's such a good dish to welcome Fall. Oh, you used fresh corn. i like it. this is full of warm spices!

5. Cristina TeenieCakes says

Biren – what a lovely, comforting soup. Among many things, I ♥ soups and this bowl of chowder looks welcoming with the little soup crackers next to it. {Sigh} – wish we had a Fall season too. Have a fantastic weekend! :)

6. Patty Price says

Hi Biren Love your soup recipe. I just found red corn in the market so of course I couldn't resist and brought it home with me. I'm going to make soup again this weekend, just feeling like comfort food too:)

7. Kamalika says

Biren, I too make this kind of flavoured soup but I never added curry powder or thyme…..will try this one next time when I will cook this kind of soup….

8. rotinrice says

I like fresh sweet corn as it is so sweet. Whenever I eat steam corn, I like it plain without butter or salt. They are delicious just the way they are.

9. Francine05 says

This sounds like a great recipe for me this weekend.
    Have some fresh corn I'm wanting to use.
    Will substitute rice flour for all-purpose as I'm gluten free.

10. Monet says

This is exactly what I need/want right now. A big bowl of warm soup! Thank you for sharing a recipe that can help bridge us from summer to fall! And I love the addition of curry too!

11. Julie M. says

Biren, This is absolutely my kind of food. I so love soups and can hardly wait for it to start to cool down so I can cook some up. This corn chowder looks so tasty! I love the addition of curry!

12. Satrupa says

Dear Biren,
    Weekend is my fav time for blog hopping …….. n see where I stumbled this time, upon a warm bowl of corn chowder ….. purrrfeeecccct for a cool eve !! You have an awesome space.

I am going to hang around your kitchen for more …….. he he. Following you.

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
    Satrupa

13. denise fletcher says

Hi Biren :)

What a lovely dish to bid summer goodbye and herald autumn's arrival! I made something vaguely similar with squash and corn recently that I will post soon.

I find the combination of curry spices and thyme absolutely intriguing! You really have such beautiful tableware – the bowl is gorgeous, as is the plate and I have that very same spoon LOL

I hope you get your wish for a beautiful Indian summer, before autumn arrives in all her tawny glory :)

14. cozydelicious says

It has totally gotten cold cold cold all of a sudden and this soup looks like the perfect way to warm up! I bet the texture is fantastic. Yum!

15. Nate @ HouseofAnnie says

You can freeze the corn now and make this soup later in the cold of winter, when this soup will warm both the heart and the stomach.

16. Megan says

Hi Biren… this looks delicious! We just made corn chowder last week and loved it. You are right the corn and potatoes just are the perfect balance between summer and fall – Have a super Monday! – Megan

17. rotinrice says

The curry spices and thyme worked quite nicely. I love thyme and use it liberally.

Thanks for the compliments on my tableware. I am an avid collector :) Fall is lovely when it is dry and sunny. The weather this weekend was just gorgeous. The leaves are already changing color.

18. Erica says

I made this recipe after seeing the pic on Tastespotting. I didn't use carrots, substituted some sour cream for the 1/2 and 1/2, veggie broth for chicken, and dried thyme. It tasted delicious! Thanks for a new way to enjoy corn from my CSA!

19. Reeni says

I just love soup season! And this is truly comforting and delicious, Biren! It looks super creamy and I love the curry spice in it.