Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

Scones have a bread like texture and closely resemble the American biscuit. This is not to be confused with the Commonwealth biscuit which is called cookies here in the United States. Scones do have a slightly heavier texture than the biscuit. The American scones are larger, sweeter, and are sometimes shaped in a rectangle or triangle. They may include raisins, dates, and nuts. Often times they are also glazed.

Scones are really easy to make. If you are not particular about the shape, the dough can simply be dropped by the spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. For a more well defined shape, cookie cutters or molds may be used. I made these Pumpkin Cranberry Scones using a 3-inch round cutter.

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

Yield: 10 scones

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

• 2¼ cups (315g) whole spelt flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground ginger
  • 6 tbsp (85g) butter
  • ½ cup (70g) dried cranberries
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup (120ml) half-and-half (or milk)
  • ½ cup (125g) pumpkin puree

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Mix in cranberries.

In a small bowl, whisk together egg, half-and-half, and pumpkin puree. Add to flour mixture until a sticky dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll into ¾ inch thickness. Cut with a 3-inch diameter round cutter.

Arrange scones on a baking sheet 1 inch apart. Brush top with half and half. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until tops are lightly golden.

Remove and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.

These Pumpkin Cranberry Scones are a good way to use up some of the leftover canned pumpkin puree from the Spiced Pumpkin Bread I made last week. I will have to think of another recipe to use up the remaining portion as I did buy a 29.5 oz can. I had to go to 3 stores before I finally found this can of pumpkin. According to the people at the store, the pumpkin crop took a beating last year which affected the supply. I hope this will not cause a run on canned pumpkins at the stores. ;) The crop is supposed to be alright this year and so hopefully there will be more canned pumpkins out soon for the holiday baking.

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

And now to share some pictures of the tree trimming at our home this past weekend. That guy was like 30 to 40 feet up on that tree trimming all those broken branches caused by the winds and storms of the past several weeks. He climbed the tree wearing a contraption with spikes strapped to his boots. With ropes tied to the upper branches, he was able to swing from one branch to the other like “Tarzan”. It was fascinating yet scary to watch. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones - Tree trimming

The thicker branches were cut into 15 inch lengths to be used as firewood for the fireplace while the smaller branches were conveniently mulched.

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones - Mulching

Biren

1. Victoria says:

These are a great follow-up to your pumpkin bread from the other day! I’ve never made pumpkin scones, but I like where you’re going with this :) I hope its true about the improving pumpkin crop! I can’t imagine a holiday season without tons of pumpkin goodies!!

2. Pushpa says:

Wow! scones look delicious…have made roti’s with spelt flour.

Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

3. pavithra says:

Wow that looks soooooooooooooo delicious.. wish to try this soon Biren. By the way new look is excellent.

4. Kamalika says:

Wow those look very healthy and tasty….

5. love2cook says:

I could imagine swallowing those scones down my throat! Hehehe…Really tempting pictures…make me salivate! :D

6. lequan says:

oooh, pumpkin and cranberry sound like the perfect combo for a scone. these would be perfect for my snack right about now.

wow, that was quite a big tree. i’d get nervous watching the man swinging around at that height too.

7. Oh my! I just made pumpkin scones two days ago and they turned out so very much nicer than I thought they would! I will also be posting about it soon. It’s been like a pumpkin fest in my kitchen lately since I bought a HUGE one recently :D

I hope you will be able to get all the pumpkin you need for the holiday season coming round the corner! Your scones look mouthwatering – I do love cranberries! Your photos are more beautiful with each post and I LOVE that (maple?) leaf shaped dish!

I guess we are on the same page eh? Will definitely bemaking more pumpkin goodies. I have a nice pie pumpkin sitting on my counter and it looks really pretty. Will have to do something with it soon.

I think I am done with canned pumpkins for now but I hope the supply will improve for the holiday baking. A pumpkin pie for the Thanksgiving table is almost a must!

8. Nice scones, I love cranberries. Stopping by from Rebecka’s. You have a lovely blog. I’m you new follower. Will be back reading your other posts. Have a nice day!

9. Pumpkin and cranberry….What a fantastic combination for the scones!

10. Jeannie says:

I seldom make scones as my sons simply do not like them due to their dense texture. I only make them when I have people to share them with me. These look really good, would love to try it one day.

11. Anncoo says:

Great combo! Would like to have this pumpkin scones for breakfast.

12. Cherine says:

Lovely combination and perfect scones!

13. Autumn is here! Looks so good with the pumpkin.

14. Sanjeeta kk says:

The Scones look cute. Like the pumpkin and cranberry combo.

15. sarah says:

yummy yumm!!! nice click too..

16. Oh more pumpkin goodness, they look delicious.

17. Haruna says:

Scones with cream,jam and tea…perfect with the autumn weather.

18. What a perfect combination of flavor Biren. I would never have thought adding cranberries. Some scones are too dry for my taste but yours look perfect!

19. These pumpkin scones are calling to me. I can’t get enough of pumpkin things right now. However, the price in the stores is keeping me at bay. I will portion some out to try these lovely scones.

20. Biren~ I love how hearty and rich these scones look. I bet the pumpkin does great things for the texture!

We had a guy come and work on a couple of our trees like that–it was really scary to watch!

21. I just love this time of year. The leaves start turning color and we start making soups and stews. It’s heartwarming. I especially love pumpkin season. Your scones look like they would be perfect with a nice cup of tea by the fire.

Enjoy the weekend!

22. Reeni says:

What delicious scones Biren! I love this time of the year for all the pumpkin and apple baking. That tree cutter is amazing! Like some kind of super hero.

23. Those scone look yummyyyyyyyyy Biren. They will be perfect for my halloween office party. And yeah hopefully there will be plenty of pumpkins. Climbing tall trees defiantly not my thing.

24. Faith says:

I’ve been wanting to make my first batch of scones! The flavors you used are really perfect for fall…what a lovely afternoon treat they must be with a cup of tea!

25. Cheah says:

Think it’s high time that I try my hand at scones as well. Your pumpkin scones look very delicious.

26. Lovely looking scones, Biren!

27. zerrin says:

These look like a perfect breakfast! Would love to spread some jam on it before throwing it into my mouth now. YUM!

28. Joanne says:

Oh the pumpkin shortage of last year…those were dark days for sure.

Nothing like a good pumpkin scone to cheer you up, though! These look delicious.

29. What a lovely flavor combination…They look so good, and perfect for fall mornings with coffee or tea :)

30. Scrumptious scones, love the addition of cranberries!

31. Ah, Fall traditions: baking with pumpkin, and tree trimming!

The gardener in me wants to take the pile of chipped tree trimmings and spread them around as mulch.

32. Love all the spices you added. Would make a perfect breakfast food following Thanksgiving. :)

33. Julie M. says:

These look delicious! I really need to try my hand at scones.

Thanks for sharing the tree pictures as well. Isn’t it amazing what they’ll do? We just had some work done on our backyard and had a couple trees removed. I was shocked at how quickly they were able to get up there and get them down.

1. October 4, 2010

[…] can’t get enough of the pumpkin! Do check out my pumpkin posts Spiced Pumpkin Bread and Pumpkin Cranberry Scones. There will be more recipes to come. Do stay tuned….. Carnival squash is the variegated […]

2. July 6, 2011

[…] Hauling those huge logs from one end of the yard to the log splitter was a major task in itself. There are two layers of logs from two fell trees of previous years and branches trimmed from last year’s autumn tree trimming. […]