Visiting the pumpkin patch and the corn maze was a fun fall (autumn) outing for the family. This was especially so when the boys were little. We would pack a lunch and have a picnic at the farm. The boys enjoyed the pony rides, hay rides, and petting zoo. They loved going through the pumpkin patch and selecting the roundest and most even colored pumpkins they could find. Each child was allowed to choose his own pumpkin so that mom could make a pumpkin pie and some pumpkin soup. That was then. Today, only the “older” folks think of the pumpkin patch…..sigh!
Today’s Spiced Pumpkin Bread recipe is one I have tweaked and used many times. I usually add one third cup each of chopped walnuts and chocolate chips into the mix for a rich and dense loaf. This time, I decided to use a half cup toasted pumpkin seeds instead. It is good either way. I hope you will give this recipe a try.
- 1¼ cup (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup (160ml) oil
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 1 cup (250g) pumpkin puree
- ½ cup (70g) toasted pumpkin seeds
- Grease and flour a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, oil, and brown sugar. Blend in sour cream, milk, and pumpkin puree. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in pumpkin seeds.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
The weather the past weekend was gorgeous and so I took the opportunity to go to the nearest “pumpkin patch” in my area. Pictured below are the different varieties of miniature ornamental pumpkins. Wee Be Little are round and smooth while the Jack Be Little have ridges.
Baby Boo are the white ones and the orange ones in the background are Jack Be Little.
Enjoy …..and have a wonderful day! 😎