Candied Sweet Potatoes with dried cranberries and orange zest moistened with freshly squeezed orange juice. A must-have for Thanksgiving or any holiday!
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time. Though it was cold outside but it was warm indoors with family, friends, and abundant food. We had a traditional Thanksgiving at home and a fun gathering at a friend’s house. It was good to reflect on God’s blessings for the year, hang out, eat, and catch up with friends.
There was also shopping on Black Friday. In past years when the boys were little, only Ro-Ri San would brave the cold weather to go to the stores. This was the first time we went out as a family at the wee hours to get some shopping done. It was fun and we found some really good deals. 🙂
Every year I prepare a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for the family. The boys look forward to turkey dinner and I try not to disappoint them. My Roast Turkey is far from perfect but the family thinks it is pretty darn delicious and I am happy with that. 🙂 I brine my turkey and use a simple technique to keep it moist. Do check it out.
As I had mentioned earlier, we did get together with some good friends over the holidays. There was quite a spread of delicious food and we were stuffed! My contribution to the table was a gluten free Gingered Pear and Cranberry Upside Down Cake (top left corner). Do check out the recipe for both gluten free and traditional versions.
Now, back to today’s recipe. Candied Sweet Potatoes is a favorite of mine. I make this side dish every year and I normally add some chopped pecans and use apple juice. This time I added dried cranberries and orange zest and used freshly squeezed orange juice instead. It was delicious!
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup (35g) dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp (28g) butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Scrub sweet potatoes and prick skin all over with fork. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes until slightly under done. Peel and slice into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Place sweet potatoes in a casserole. Sprinkle cranberries, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg onto sweet potatoes. Pour in orange juice and dot with butter. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎