Candied Sweet Potatoes

Candied Sweet Potatoes

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time. Though it was cold outside but it was warm indoors with family, friends, and abundant food. We had a traditional Thanksgiving at home and a fun gathering at a friend’s house. It was good to reflect on God’s blessings for the year, hang out, eat, and catch up with friends.

There was also shopping on Black Friday. In past years when the boys were little, only Ro-Ri San would brave the cold weather to go to the stores. This was the first time we went out as a family at the wee hours to get some shopping done. It was fun and we found some really good deals. :)

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Do you brine your turkey before roasting it? It is a little more work but I like to brine mine as it is more flavorful and moist.

Candied Sweet Potatoes

This is our favorite pear and chestnut stuffing and it is gluten-free. I saved all the Rice Bread ends to use in this stuffing.

Candied Sweet Potatoes

My plate of goodies…..

Look at all the yummy stuff at this gathering. My contribution was a gluten-free gingered pear upside down cake (top left corner). The recipe will follow…..

Candied Sweet Potatoes is a favorite of mine. I make this side dish every year and I normally add some chopped pecans and use apple juice. This time I added dried cranberries and orange zest and used freshly squeezed orange juice instead. It was delicious!

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 6 servings
  • 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
  • ¼ cup (35g) dried sweetened cranberries
  • 1 tbsp orange zest
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tbsp (28g) butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
  2. Scrub sweet potatoes and prick skin all over with fork. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes until slightly under done. Peel and slice into ¼-inch thick slices.
  3. Place sweet potatoes in a casserole. Sprinkle cranberries, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg onto sweet potatoes. Pour in orange juice and dot with butter. Bake for 20 minutes.
  4. Remove and serve immediately.

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Comments

1. says

My parents make roasted sweet potatoes all the time, but they always eat them plain. I love your idea of roasting them and then topping them instead of using mashed or chopped sweet potatoes as the base. I bet this was awesome, and your Thanksgiving table looks lovely :) Glad you and your family had a great holiday!

2. says

Wow! Food…glorious…Food!! Your turkey looks gorgeous, Biren. I’m sure it must be crispy from the outside and moist inside? I’ve never tried sweet potato that way. Will give it a shot one day…

Did you have any turkey leftovers?

3. says

Biren, what a wonderful thanksgiving feat. I think I see jap chae and lotus root – I love seeing the addition of other cultures into the dinner, I think that’s awesome. I also LOVE that you have served the turkey on a bed of brussels sprouts! That’s my favorite vegetable. The sweet potato casserole looks great also.. and so does that stuffing! Will you be sharing the recipe for the stuffing? That just so happens to be one of my favorite thanksgiving sides.

• Biren says

Thanks Roxan! Perhaps next year as I think most people are done with turkey. Please send me an e-mail with your address if you are still interested :)

4. says

I’m glad you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Biren! Your holiday feast is absolutely gorgeous and I love your pretty table setting. We like to brine our turkey too! :)

5. says

Hi Biren,

What a lovely thanksgiving spread you guys had. Your pictures are beautiful. I’ll bet the gluten-free gingered pear upside down cake was a big hit. My dad used to microwave sweet potatoes for me when I was a kid. I was just telling Stella what a great childhood memory sweet potatoes are for me. I need to try your wonderful version some time. Thank you for sharing.

6. says

Biren…I have never tried baking sweet potato with orange juice. I think it is a great combo with the cranberries, and orange zest and baked with butter…mmmm I can imagine how good this is. Thanks for this great recipe. Have bookmarked it :)
    Btw can see that you have a great thanksgiving party….wish I was invited to share your delicious spread :p
    Have a nice day Biren,
    Elin

7. says

What a gorgeous setting and meal. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I will have to try your sweet potatoes for Christmas, lovely! And Black Friday, you are so brave…I hide like a frightened child, lol

• Biren says

Alisha, that’s too funny! You should try the early morning madness on Black Friday at least once. Who knows? You may be hooked once you try it ;)

8. Jeannie says

That so much good food on your table I wouldn’t know where to start eating!:D Love that turkey, and the stuffing, and the candied sweet potatoes and everything else too!

9. says

Wow, what a beautiful Thanksgiving feast, Biren. Such a wonderful variety of great dishes.
    I love your candied sweet potatoes. A nice change from the ordinary old fashioned traditional one. Also the dried cranberries adds a nice touch to it.
    Thanks for sharing!

10. says

I almost passed this up because I’m not a fan of candied sweet potatoes, but I knew it was you and I trust your recipes so I went ahead and took a glance. I LOVE the presentation. The part I like least is when sweet potatoes are pureed so this was perfect. it allows the sweetness to be there without losing the beautiful consistency and appearance of the baked potato. Brilliant (as per usual)!

11. says

Hi Biren – Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends :) The spread looks amazing and so welcoming! I’ve always loved sweet potatoes and jazzing them up with cranberries, nutmeg and orange juice sounds just short of divine! I think I might try this for christmas too – hubby will be pleased, I know! Black Friday sounds like fun, though the fact it’s called “black” seems to suggest that it doesn’t have many fans ;)

• Biren says

Sometimes it does get “black” with the cold and long lines LOL! Black is referring to retailers making profits or “in the black” as it is the biggest shopping day here in the US :)

12. says

Wow, good to hear you and your family enjoyed your Thanksgiving and the day after. Black Friday is something I’ve never had the desire to particpate in, but glad you found some good deals. Your Thanksgiving feast and tablescape are gorgeous. I’m totally sold on brining – makes for a much more savory and moist bird :)

13. says

What a delicious and tempting spread of food Biren! Your turkey looks so tasty and your potatoes with orange and cranberries sound wonderful! Thanks for sending it over to the Showdown. I did a little bit of shopping on Black Friday too – for the first time I can remember!

14. says

Love the table setting Biren! All the food looks delicious. Sweet potatoes are great choice. I really have to get my hands on root produce. At least, I got my hands on pumpkins tonight after I’ve seen your pumpkin posts!

I didn’t go shopping on Black Friday. It was crazy! haha

15. says

Hi Biren! I went Black Friday shopping this year too. What an experience. It was nice to get the shopping done. Great sweet potato dish. I’ve not added cranberries before, but they would add a good tart contrast to the sweet potatoes.

Trackbacks