Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

Rice has been my staple as long as I can remember and yet I get surprised from time to time at what I can discover at the grocery store. There I was at my local health food store and lo and behold was this pearly short grain rice with the palest shade of green – the color of new tatami mat. The first thought that came to me was that the rice was flavored with green tea. I quickly read the label and found out that it was in fact infused with wildcrafted BamBoom!™ extract, made from the Moso species of bamboo that grows in the virgin highland forest of south central China. Wrapping rice with bamboo leaves is one thing but infusing it with bamboo extract is definitely new to me. The panda in me wanted to cook this rice and taste it immediately.

I figured that the bamboo flavor will probably be quite subtle. The best way to savor the rice is to cook it simply by boiling or steaming. Flavorings should be light so as not to overpower it. Chirashi or scattered sushi came to mind. Tossing the rice with a light vinegared dressing and topping it with boiled edamame and shrimps brings out the delicate taste of the rice.

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

This is what the raw rice grains look like. I love that pale shade of grass green. I only rinse this rice two to three times as the color does wash off.

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

• 1 cup (200g) organic jade pearl rice
  • 1½ cups (360ml) water
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 8 shrimps
  • 1 cup (120g) shelled edamame
  • 2 tbsp beni shoga (julienned pickled ginger)
  • 1 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds

Boil edamame in lightly salted water for about 3 minutes. Drain and set aside. Do the same for shrimp but boil only for about 2 minutes. When shrimps curl and turn pink, they are done. Do not overcook.

Lightly rinse and drain ((2 to 3 times) organic jade pearl rice. Put rice in a medium sized pot with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and leave pot on for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat, remove pot fro heat source and let it sit for 10 minutes. Fluff up rice with fork.

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir till sugar dissolves. Pour over rice and gently mix with a spatula. Divide rice into 4 individual bowls. Top with edamame, shrimp, and beni shoga. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately with miso soup.

The cooked rice has a glossy sheen to it with a very pale green color. It has just a hint of the bamboo flavor. Most people may not even notice it.

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

Pairing it with something mild like shrimps and edamame enhances its color and flavor.

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

Makes a nice, light lunch served with miso soup.

Chirashi with Jade Pearl Rice

1. sameena says:

Hi Biren,

Looks lovely…beautiful presentation…:)

Dr.Sameena@

2. Victoria says:

What pretty rice! I love your presentation :)

3. sangeeta says:

What a pretty comforting bowl of rice .
    I like experimenting with new varieties of rice whenever possible…

4. Roxan says:

Oh, this rice looks interesting! I’ve never seen that before either, but like you, i’d totally snatch it up if I saw it in the store. This looks like a wonderful, light dish. So, how did the rice taste? Was the flavor subtle as expected?

5. Anncoo says:

This rice looks pretty and I don’t think I can find it here. Must check at the organic shop see whether it is available.

This is something new that the store is carrying. First time seeing it there. It’s fun to try all these new ingredients :)

6. Rumana says:

So mouth watering dish:)

7. Biren, I love the rice! A very healthy gourmet treat!

8. So pretty! The rice sounds really interesting.

9. I’ve never seen the jade rice and it’s so interesting. You’re so good at finding new ingredients and things! I really like your plating. It makes the food pop!

To taste the rice, minimal ingredients and toppings are best, just like how you have done it. :)

11. lequan says:

hi Biren,

what an interesting rice to have come across…lucky you. being Chinese, i grew up on rice. ok, well not really. let me try to explain, my grandma and parents tried to make me eat rice but i would only take a couple bites and then wanted pizza. yup, i was a bad kid. thank God my kiddies don’t take after me…teehee. then suddenly when i got to university, for some reason i started loving rice. i love how easy it is to cook and how it goes with almost ANYTHING.

your bowl of rice sounds wonderful. i love that you kept it simple and the flavors light so not to overpower the taste of the bamboo in the rice. great presentation and pictures as well.

12. Sanjeeta kk says:

Never seen this rice before, would love to get my hands on it and try out soon. Thanks for bringing this post up.

13. I have never seen jade pearl rice and it really is a beautiful colour! You’ve chosen the perfect accompaniments for such a delicately pretty rice. The pickled ginger makes a lovely contrast!

14. This rice sounds very interesting to try! Terrific pairing with flavors and colors! I know my daughter would really like this!

15. This is definitely something new to me! Have not seen this rice before. Would really love to try this someday. I like it when you say there’s a hint of the bamboo flavour! Very interesting!

16. I’ve never found this rice before. It looks lovely. I’ll have to hunt it down!

17. Cheah says:

I’ve never seen this rice before. Kind of you to share the recipe for cooking this, just in case we come across this sometime or other.

18. I am going to have to see if I can find this rice, sounds really good.

19. This looks lovely Biren. I love Japanese food…!

20. Jeannie says:

I avoid rice if I can help it, but when I saw this rice with the shrimp and edamame on it, I wished it’s right in front of me now so I could eat it!

21. Reeni says:

You presented it so beautifully! I am intrigued by the rice – would love to try it. It’s very unique.

22. Pachecopatty says:

Biren- this is such a pretty dish, I’ll bet it’s absolutely delicious:)

23. I absolutely LOVE chirashi!!

24. rebecca says:

wow cool rice I want to find me some beautiful picture love it

25. What a glorious find…The rice looks beautiful on it’s own…
    Tis recipe however is just delightful, and the add of black sesame adds the perfect touch to the finished dish…Gorgeous, love every flavor and texture :)

26. Blackswan says:

Biren, u’ve certainly caught my attention with this Japanese dish. 日本料理がだいすきです。

27. I’d like a big bowl of that for breakfast! YUM!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What’s For Dinner

28. Joanne says:

I guess you learn something new every day! What a simple and tasty dish this is!

29. This sounds like a great find. I’ll be on the look out for it. You know that is why I love my local organic or healthy shops, there are always so many great products to discover. While I don’t shop there for the organic products, which is an added bonus, I do love discovering something new each time. Thanks for sharing your great find and delicious recipe.