Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

Old Man Winter showed up for the year with a huge storm on Saturday. The fresh snow blanketed everything and transformed the landscape into a winter wonderful. The first snowfall is always fun and everyone gets a little excited just watching the snow come down. It came down fast and furious and we had 8 inches of wet, heavy snow in a matter of hours.

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

By mid morning lots of activities can be heard outside. Though the snow was still coming down people were up and about. There were the happy laughter of children as they roll and sled in the snow and the sounds of shoveling and snow throwers as the adults fought to clear their driveways. Ro-Ri San and the boys were out doing the same. Good thing he had prepared the snow thrower in anticipation of the storm. The boys helped with shoveling of the porch and places the snow thrower could not get to. There are more pictures on my Facebook Fan Page. Please do “Fan” me while you are there.

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

Today’s recipe is a family favorite which I made to go with the Butternut Squash Fettuccini of my previous post. Roast chicken combines really well with fennel. Fennel tastes a little like licorice and has a texture like celery when raw. It mellows and sweetens when roasted. I added a fall favorite, the sweet dumpling squash to the dish…oops…err…it was still fall when I made this! Sweet dumpling squashes are smaller in size and quite sweet as the name suggests. The texture is fine and smooth. Do give them a try as they are delicious.

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

The fresh thyme is the final harvest from my herb garden. I used lime as that was what I had in the fridge.

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

Serves: 6 servings
  • 1 (3 to 4 lbs/ 1.4 to 1.8 kg) roasting chicken
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 large bunch fresh thyme, 20 to 30 sprigs
  • 1 lemon or lime, halved
  • 1 bulb fennel, top removed and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
  • 2 sweet dumpling squash, seeds removed and cut into 8 wedges
  • 1 bulb garlic, peeled
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. Remove giblets and excessive fat from chicken. Rinse chicken including the inside. Pat dry the outside and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes so that the skin is dry. Liberally sprinkle salt and pepper on the inside and outside of the chicken.
  3. Stuff thyme (saving a few sprigs for the vegetables) and lemon or lime in the cavity and tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken on a pan and tug wings under the body.
  4. Place sliced fennel bulb, squash wedges, garlic, and remaining sprigs of thyme around chicken. Sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over vegetables.
  5. Roast for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone registers 180°F (82°C).
  6. Allow the roasted chicken to rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

It technically is fall even with all that snow! I love roasted chicken, it really is one of those wonderfully simple meals that one never seems to tire from. I love your version with fennel and squash. I never really think to add those flavors to a roasted chicken :)

• Biren says

Haha…I know but it just doesn’t feel like fall now with all that snow outside. :)

Roast chicken is wonderful! Adding vegetables makes it a one dish kind of meal.

2. says

Wow Biren, old man winter did arrive stormfully (is that a word?…whatever…teehee). That’s a beautiful picture of the trees covered in snow. Can’t wait till we have snow that stays (had a couple snow falls, but all melted away by the end of the day) so I can take my kiddies sledding and skating. I’m so jealous of your snow blower (that’s what we call those here). Maybe Santa will drop one off this year…haha. Sha right!

Your dish looks beautiful. This would be a family favorite as my children love roasted chicken and I love any type of squash. I love that you used such fresh ingredients. Great recipe!

• Biren says

Hey LeQuan, the first snow fall is always fun. You skate too? We go skating too on a huge frozen lake downtown. Lakes should be frozen in December. A snow thrower is an absolute must or we’ll break our backs with the amount of snow we get here. This smaller unit is much easier to handle. BTW, there are more pictures on my Facebook Fan Page if you are interested.

My boys love roast chicken and always welcome it. I like to add vegetables to make it a one dish kind of meal :)

3. says

The presentation for this is so gorgeous Biren! And the flavors sound wonderful – I am always saying I need to use fennel more often. The first snow of the year is always the best!

4. says

Wow…snowing already? It’s extremely cold here today…..minus 3 deg Celsius but no snow…just frost :( Love that big dish of roast chicken and vegetables. I have to try. Haven’t roasted a big chicken yet. A turkey would frighten me…haha

5. says

Biren this chicken looks lovely. Great job tying it up! I have no idea how to do that – it seems really complicated to me. And I am LOVING your snow photos. They put my snow photos to shame!!!

PS You have a beautiful yard.

6. says

Wow the photos are beautiful, of both the snow and the roasted chicken. The meal looks like a perfect comfort food. I usually roat my fennel, it would be great with chicken. I like the photo of all the ingredients too. Our weather has been beautiful and we were on our boat and at the beach over the weekend. I shared some pics on my site. 😀 Where are you to get all the snow so early?

7. says

Your winter pictures are absolutely gorgeous, Biren! It’s hard to believe, here we actually have only had a light dusting of snow this year…I’m kind of looking forward to our first heavy snowfall! :) Your roast chicken looks wonderful!

8. says

Beautiful photos, both of the snow and the chicken dish! I’ve never put fennel with chicken, but it sounds delicious. Will definitely have to remember that combination next time I do a roasted chicken. Great idea!

9. says

I love your snowing photos and your roast is perfect. Love your combination for your roast. Seeing your pics, I can feel the white Xmas is coming but it is a total opposite here in Aus even though we just had a cold raining weekend in Melbourne.

10. says

I’m so jealous of your first snow fall! It’s the one thing I really miss about living in the north. Beautiful pictures.

That dinner looks perfect as well. Your squash is gorgeous!

11. says

Beautiful dish…I have a few dumpling squash right now, but have not tried them out yet. Was thinking to work them into Thanksgiving dinner maybe :)
    Love fennel too and you know how I love garlic 😉
    The snow is gorgeous, but I can imagine the thrill is short lived.
    And you know California has not idea what to make of seasons…We had about 3 days of Fall, then a week or so of Summer and now it’s Spring again? See why we are such odd people, lol

12. says

OMG, snowing already! This is the place where I love to visit but not to stay! ^_^ Oh yes, X’mas is on the way. lol! I would be so lazy to go out to shop under this kind of weather. Guess, you going to stock up lots of stuffs! Hope you’re having a wonderful day and stay warm.
    Cheers, kristy

13. says

Love those shots, Biren! I can feel the coldness just by looking at your pix :)

I like how you cook your chicken with squash & fennel. Frankly, I don’t really know the taste of fennel but I like your cooking!

14. says

Wow! Amazing! I had no idea you cooked this with the pasta dish from your previous post! LOL My family would of course, be all over this, especially hubby 😀

I’ve never seen such pretty squash, and the seasonings for your chicken are just wonderful!

I can’t wait to see snow myself *sigh* but in the meantime, your lovely photos are doing the trick 😉

15. says

Biren, this really looks and sounds delicious. I love the winter vegetables you’ve used to accompany the chicken. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

16. says

Love your pictures Biren, both the snow and the roast chicken:) We have had such warm weather here, it’s hard to believe you had snow in your neck of the woods. I have to try this recipe, I love the squash and fennel roasted in the same pot as the chicken, one dish meal perfection:)

17. says

I love roast chicken! I requested this for my birthday dinner from my in-law. The bday girl got to pick her favorite dish :) My in-law didn’t include squash. Your version sounds terrific and it will warm me up on a cold day! I like snow. It’s romantic :) Your winter snow photos are beautiful and that’s lots of snow my goodness!

Trackbacks

1. […] With the diving temperatures and snow on the ground, soups are the ultimate comfort food. I’ve been making a lot of soups lately, mostly clear ones to go with our daily rice meals. I prefer thick, creamy soups accompanied with crusty bread for a light and satisfying lunch. This quick and simple soup was perfect after the snow clearing. I added pepper flakes, ground ginger and cinnamon to spice up the soup. It was warm and comforting after that “workout” in the snow. For snow pictures, please click here. […]