Muffins are quick and easy to make. There is no need to bring out the huge mixer and it can be done in less than an hour and this includes washing up. Besides, it is a great breakfast item and a nice change from the regular slices of bread. As I had a few oranges lying around, I decided to incorporate it somehow. Blueberries are a favorite at our house and so in they went. This recipe is a keeper as we like the combination of orange and blueberries. The sour cream makes it really moist.
Before we move on to the recipe, I would like to thank all of you for your well wishes and for participating in my 1st Blog Anniversary Giveaway. I couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you for your encouragement and for cheering me on. The winner was chosen using the Random Number Generator in the order of comments on the post. The autographed copy of The Minnesota Table…drum roll please…goes to Alisha of The Ardent Epicure! Congratulations Alisha! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I do. Please email me with your address so that I can send you the book soon.
Now, let’s start cooking!
- Dry Ingredients
- 1½ cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Zest from one orange
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup (80ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup (40g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12 standard size muffin pan with muffin liners. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. In a separate bowl, combine streusel topping ingredients by cutting in the butter to resemble coarse bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients. Using a hand whisk, whisk till combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly into lined muffin pan about ⅔ full.
- Sprinkle streusel mixture over top of unbaked muffins dividing evenly among them.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer muffins to wire rack to cool completely.
These muffins are also nice as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!