Simmered Kabocha Squash

Simmered Kabocha Squash

Kabocha Squash is a variety of Japanese winter squash that can be found in the grocery stores here in North America. The ones we find here are mainly grown in Mexico and other parts of South America. Kabocha squash looks like a squatty pumpkin with a deep green color and celadon stripes. The flesh is yellow-orange in color. It is quite sweet with a light, almost fluffy texture.

Simmered Kabocha Squash is a popular side dish in Japan. It is also used to make tempura. I love Simmered Kabocha Squash and I make this dish whenever I can buy the squash at the grocery store. Simmered Kabocha Squash can be eaten cold and is a good sidedish for the bento box.

Simmered Kabocha Squash

Be careful when slicing the kabocha squash as the skin is very hard. However, it can be eaten and it cooks easily. For this dish, chunks of the skin are normally left unpeeled. It gives a nice color to the dish.

Simmered Kabocha Squash

Simmered Kabocha Squash

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 6 servings
  • 1 small kabocha squash (about 2 lbs/900g)
  • 1½ (360ml) cups water
  • ½ tsp dashi
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp mirin
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  1. Wash kabocha squash. Cut into half and scoop out all seeds. Cut into 1-inch thick wedges. With a vegetable peeler, remove some but not all the skin. Cut wedges in chunks.
  2. Mix water, dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar in a medium sized pot. Add kabocha squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until squash is fork tender but not mushy.

Simmered Kabocha Squash
Simmered Kabocha Squash is great for the bento box. This is the lunch I packed for Ro-Ri San this morning. The boys have a similar bento in their Zojirushi Mr. Bento Stainless Steel Lunch Jar.

Simmered Kabocha Squash

Snow shoeing is a good outdoor winter activity. It is hiking in the snow and a very effective way to burn off calories. Yesterday, we went for a two mile hike at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. It was a good workout. :)

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

That is one lovely lunchbox! The colour of the squash looks gorgeous, especially with chunks of skin unpeeled. I’m glad you mentioned the skins of squashes are hard to peel. When I cooked a squash for the first time to make soup, I had NO idea it would be so hard and tried to peel it with a peeler. Failed. Used a knife and got some headway then accidentally cut myself because it was so hard and I was impatient. Squash can be difficult. But you make it look absolutely scrumptious! Would do great for a light healthy snack too!

2. says

I love kabocha squash! At my japanese market they sell it cubed and frozen… I like fresh kabocha too, but I like the frozen one for those times I’m in a rush and don’t have time to be careful in not chopping my fingers off ;]

3. says

Such a nice and comforting side dish,Biren. Love the way you combined it in a lunch box. Snowshoeing looks like a lot of fun, a nice winter less stress exercise.
    BTW-Stop by my blog to check out the $50 gift certificate giveaway from CSN!

4. says

Hi Biren! Kabocha is one of my favorites! I just love love love it! Squash is one of the most comforting and delicious foods on earth! This dish looks delish. I like how your seasoned it as I would not have thought of mirin… great idea and you look great with your snow shoes on! Our snow all melted and we are left with ice hunks and a few snow piles, not enough for skiing or snow shoeing….
    xoxo – be well and warm! megan

• Biren says

Kabocha squash is delicious and this is a really easy and tasty way to prepare it. Can be taken as a snack too.

Aww…thanks for the compliment. I enjoy snow shoeing and it is a fun way to shed some calories.

5. says

I really like the taste and texture of kabocha squash. I’d even eat it as a meal. Great choice to leave part of the skin on for colour. Actually, I’d never cooked kabocha squash before, but have heard how hard they are to cut open and peel.

Your family is so well rounded with exercising activities – love that! I’ve tried snow shoeing before and agree that it is a great way to burn calories.

6. says

That’s a beautiful bento, Biren! I love the idea of Kabocha squash. I don’t think I’ve ever had it, but I love squash. I’m sure we’d love it. I’ll keep my eye open for it at the market, since I know how to prepare it now;-)

7. says

Biren that looks like a beautiful dish! I love the shot of you snowshoeing as well. Would you believe I’ve never tried that before? It sounds like you had a lovely hike!

• Biren says

I am not sure if your local pumpkin is the same as the kabocha. However, I think the pumpkin would work with this recipe.

8. says

Can you believe I still haven’t been able to find kabocha in my area?! I’ll keep looking though, since I would love to try it. Your recipe looks fanastic, Biren!

9. says

I love kabocha anything. In fact, I just finished roasting one in the oven. Your simmered version sounds really good with rice. I will definitely try it next time.

10. says

I like your stainless steel bento box. Is the squash good cold? I have bought some Calabaza squash (cuban) squash and we have a store that sells them already cut in smaller pieces, which is good for our small family. It reminds me of this. It looks good for a side dish.

11. says

I love the look of the partly peeled squash – I didn’t know the Japanese cooked it that way – I always peel it completely, even when I cook it the way you have, then I grumble when the squash chunks start to disintigrate too quickly LOL

I will do it this way next time! Thanks for the heads up…

12. says

I will do it this way next time! Thanks for the heads up…

Trackbacks