Clementines are the smallest variety of mandarin oranges. They are sweet, juicy, and seedless. They come into season in December through January which coincides with the Chinese Lunar New Year. This makes them a popular substitute for mandarin oranges by the Chinese in the western world.
Clementines are wonderful eaten on their own or added to salads. They often appear in the popular Ambrosia fruit salad which has a variety of fruits in it. The dressing is usually made of whipped creamed, sour cream, or yogurt.
I do like the idea of combining oranges with coconut but I find the traditional Ambrosia salad a little too creamy for me. Hence, I borrowed the idea for this Spring Greens Ambrosia Salad and made it skinnier and healthier. I used a very simple vinaigrette with only 2 tablespoons of yogurt to give it that creamy look. I think it was quite delicious.
I can now enjoy this light and tangy Spring Greens Ambrosia Salad with clementine and coconut flakes anytime. It has way less calories. 😉
- 5 oz (1 package) spring greens
- 2 clementines, peeled and sectioned
- ½ cup coconut flakes, toasted
- ¼ cup (60ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Combine spring greens and clementines in a large salad bowl.
- Stir together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over spring greens and clementines. Toss to get vegetables and fruits coated with dressing.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes over salad.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎