Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

These tasty Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls are perfect for lunch in the summer months. They also work beautifully as appetizers any time of the year. | Food to gladden the heart at RotiNRice.com

I spent a wonderful day out and about town with my house guest yesterday. For lunch we stopped by our regular Vietnamese restaurant for a steaming bowl of pho (Vietnamese rice noodle soup). The noodles were delicious and they came in huge bowls. Instead of busting our diet in a day, we decided to save the spring rolls for the next day by making them ourselves at home. Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls are relatively easy to make and are perfect for a light and healthy lunch. With a Vietnamese grocery store conveniently located just down the street from the restaurant, we drove there after lunch to pick up the necessary ingredients.

As I did not make a shopping list, I forgot two things that I normally put in my version of these spring rolls. I forgot the mint leaves which I had to leave out altogether and the cucumber which I substituted with blanched zucchinis. Though the rice noodles in Vietnamese spring rolls are normally left plain, I prefer to flavor them lightly with salt, pepper, ad sesame oil to make it tasty for kids who usually do not use dips with their rolls. I also left out the fish sauce for the dip but feel free to add some if you prefer.

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

• 12 round 8.5-inch diameter rice wrappers
  • 6 sprigs Thai basil, stems removed
  • 12 small Romaine lettuce leaves, stem removed
  • 1 small carrot, julienned
  • 1 small cucumber, julienned
Dipping Sauce
  • ¼ cup garlic chili sauce
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • ½ tsp sesame oil
  1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Lightly salt the water. Add shrimps and cook for about 2 minutes or until shrimps curl and turn pink. Remove and drain. Add rice noodles and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove and drain. Toss noodles with salt, pepper, and sesame oil.
  2. Slice shrimps into half lengthwise but not all the way, leaving the last ½ inch of tail end uncut.
  3. This allows shrimp to be splayed so that it is easier for it to be rolled in wrapper.
  4. Combine all dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
To assemble spring roll
  1. Fill a large shallow bowl with warm water. Dip one rice wrapper into warm water and remove quickly. Lay wrapper on a cutting board. Rice wrapper will soften. Place 3 to 4 basil leaves about ⅓ way from the edge. On top of basil, place one lettuce, 3 to 4 strips julienned carrots and cucumber, a small amount of rice noodles, and another 3 to 4 basil leaves followed by 2 full shrimps.
  2. Fold wrapper onto shrimp, roll so that the basil at the bottom is now on top. Fold in sides and finish rolling. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
  3. Slice roll diagonally in half and serve with dipping sauce.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

The most beautiful spring roll pictures I’ve ever seen! I love spring rolls too and should try to make them more often. They are healthy and easy to make as you said.

2. says

Biren, you’re making me hungry! It’s not easy to get those rice skin here. I would love some sweet red sauce on this. Salivating! Yumm..yumm.yumm… Hope you’re having a nice day.
    Cheers, Kristy

3. says

Hi Biren :) I agree with Hyosun – these are some of the prettiest pictures of spring rolls I have ever seen!

I love how you seasoned the bean threads for the filling – I have eaten Vietnamese spring rolls a few times and do find them bland without the dip. Yours is a really marvellous idea!

4. says

My family makes this all the time. These make a great light, healthy meal or snack. We usually use fish sauce as the dipping sauce or another sauce made of a combination of plum sauce and hoisin sauce, plus a bit of water so the sauce isn’t too thick or sweet. I’ll have to try your sauce next time we have these. Your wraps look gorgeous. Now you’re making me crave Vietnamese wraps.

5. DongXing says

Hi Biren, these spring rolls look so appetising and fresh. We love these spring rolls although my children ate them plain because they do not like the fish sauce. Flavouring the rice noodles first is a great tip!

6. says

Hey Biren! Ooh, and bowl of hot Pho sounds so good right now, but, then again, so these homemade spring rolls. They look delicious! And I love that you put some crunchy cabbage in there. I’ve never actually seen cabbage in a spring roll, but it totally makes sense;-)

• Biren says

That’s ok Stella. I actually forgot to mention that I used Boston bib lettuce instead of Romaine as that was the third item I forgot to buy at the store!

7. says

Such beautiful spring rolls! Your idea of using blanched zucchini to substitute for the cucumber was genius! I’m glad to hear you’re having a great time with your houseguest!

8. says

I actually prefer the Chinese springs rolls to these cos the Chinese spring rolls are usually fried! Hee heee…yep, I sound unhealthy. But with the sore throat I am having now, these Vietnamese rolls really sounds good!

9. says

Biren, The spring rolls are beautiful! I have never tried a spring roll can you believe that. Lots of Chinese egg rolls but never spring rolls. Looks like I better broad my foodie habits. Thanks for sharing this one. Bookmarked!

10. says

WOW! What gorgeous presentation! You take really great photos too. It looks absolutely superb and delicious! Oh, I would so love to try some right now 😀

• Linda says

You are welcome, Jodee and thank you for stopping by. These rolls are wonderful especially during the warmer months. :)

Trackbacks