Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

I spent a wonderful day out and about town with my house guest yesterday. For lunch we stopped by our regular Vietnamese restaurant for a steaming bowl of pho (Vietnamese rice noodle soup). The noodles were delicious and they came in huge bowls. Instead of busting our diet in a day, we decided to save the spring rolls for the next day by making them ourselves at home. Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls are relatively easy to make and are perfect for a light and healthy lunch. With a Vietnamese grocery store conveniently located just down the street from the restaurant, we drove there after lunch to pick up the necessary ingredients.

As I did not make a shopping list, I forgot two things that I normally put in my version of these spring rolls. I forgot the mint leaves which I had to leave out altogether and the cucumber which I substituted with blanched zucchinis. Though the rice noodles in Vietnamese spring rolls are normally left plain, I prefer to flavor them lightly with salt, pepper, ad sesame oil to make it tasty for kids who usually do not use dips with their rolls. I also left out the fish sauce for the dip but feel free to add some if you prefer.

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

Here are the ingredients needed to put these Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls together.

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

• 24 medium sized shrimps, peeled and deveined
  • 4 oz thin rice noodles, soaked
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 12 round 8.5-inch diameter rice wrappers
  • 6 sprigs Thai basil, stems removed
  • 12 small Romaine lettuce leaves, stem removed
  • 1 small carrot, julienned
  • 1 small cucumber, julienned
  • Dipping Sauce
  • ¼ cup garlic chili sauce
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • ½ tsp sesame oil

Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Lightly salt the water. Add shrimps and cook for about 2 minutes or until shrimps curl and turn pink. Remove and drain. Add rice noodles and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove and drain. Toss noodles with salt, pepper, and sesame oil.

Slice shrimps into half lengthwise but not all the way, leaving the last ½ inch of tail end uncut.

This allows shrimp to be splayed so that it is easier for it to be rolled in wrapper.

Combine all dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

To assemble spring roll

Fill a large shallow bowl with warm water. Dip one rice wrapper into warm water and remove quickly. Lay wrapper on a cutting board. Rice wrapper will soften. Place 3 to 4 basil leaves about 1/3 way from the edge. On top of basil, place one lettuce, 3 to 4 strips julienned carrots and cucumber, a small amount of rice noodles, and another 3 to 4 basil leaves followed by 2 full shrimps.

Fold wrapper onto shrimp, roll so that the basil at the bottom is now on top. Fold in sides and finish rolling. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Slice roll diagonally in half and serve with dipping sauce.

Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls

1. Hyosun Ro says:

The most beautiful spring roll pictures I’ve ever seen! I love spring rolls too and should try to make them more often. They are healthy and easy to make as you said.

2. rebecca says:

oh wow adore fresh spring rolls what a fun thing to make with a friend wish i could have one now!

3. One of my favorite dishes!!

4. kristy says:

Biren, you’re making me hungry! It’s not easy to get those rice skin here. I would love some sweet red sauce on this. Salivating! Yumm..yumm.yumm… Hope you’re having a nice day.
    Cheers, Kristy

5. Zoe says:

I love these spring rolls. I can eat tonnes of them. They are super refreshing for all occasions.

6. Anncoo says:

OW Biren, Thumbs up for these beautiful spring rolls. I love Vietnamese spring rolls too because it is very healthy and yummy.

7. Hi Biren :) I agree with Hyosun – these are some of the prettiest pictures of spring rolls I have ever seen!

I love how you seasoned the bean threads for the filling – I have eaten Vietnamese spring rolls a few times and do find them bland without the dip. Yours is a really marvellous idea!

8. Cherine says:

Your spring rolls are wonderful. Would love to pick one and dip it with the sauce!

9. lequan says:

My family makes this all the time. These make a great light, healthy meal or snack. We usually use fish sauce as the dipping sauce or another sauce made of a combination of plum sauce and hoisin sauce, plus a bit of water so the sauce isn’t too thick or sweet. I’ll have to try your sauce next time we have these. Your wraps look gorgeous. Now you’re making me crave Vietnamese wraps.

10. Peggy says:

These spring rolls are gorgeous! Definitely love all of the fresh flavors in them!

11. DongXing says:

Hi Biren, these spring rolls look so appetising and fresh. We love these spring rolls although my children ate them plain because they do not like the fish sauce. Flavouring the rice noodles first is a great tip!

12. Such pretty spring rolls, they sound wonderfully refreshing and delicious!

13. Stella says:

Hey Biren! Ooh, and bowl of hot Pho sounds so good right now, but, then again, so these homemade spring rolls. They look delicious! And I love that you put some crunchy cabbage in there. I’ve never actually seen cabbage in a spring roll, but it totally makes sense;-)

14. Stella says:

Oops, that’s lettuce. It looked like cabbage (smile)!

That’s ok Stella. I actually forgot to mention that I used Boston bib lettuce instead of Romaine as that was the third item I forgot to buy at the store!

15. Faith says:

Such beautiful spring rolls! Your idea of using blanched zucchini to substitute for the cucumber was genius! I’m glad to hear you’re having a great time with your houseguest!

16. These are the BEST Biren and what a great splash of summer in this cold that’s gotten old :)

I actually prefer the Chinese springs rolls to these cos the Chinese spring rolls are usually fried! Hee heee…yep, I sound unhealthy. But with the sore throat I am having now, these Vietnamese rolls really sounds good!

18. These are the most gorgeous spring rolls I have ever seen…and your photos are exquisite! Love this recipe :)

19. Mina Joshi says:

Biren

A belated Happy New Year to you. I love the presentation of the spring rolls.
    An award waits for you at http://www.givemesomespice.com/2011/01/award-and-several-tags.html

20. Gorgeous photos! I love spring rolls–it’s the only way I’ll eat shrimp. Fab post!

21. redkathy says:

Biren, The spring rolls are beautiful! I have never tried a spring roll can you believe that. Lots of Chinese egg rolls but never spring rolls. Looks like I better broad my foodie habits. Thanks for sharing this one. Bookmarked!

22. Hi Biren! I love these light spring rolls and have always wanted to make them myself. Now I can give it a try. As always, I just love your pictures.

Kristi

23. I love the simplicity of the vietnamese roll. :)

24. Suchitra says:

wow, looks amazing- especially the way you have perfectly wrapped it and presented it -awesome!

25. Blackswan says:

Lovely presentation! This is perfect especially when u’ve got guests coming to your place & u’ve no time to prepare a big feast. Excellent!

26. Sharon says:

WOW! What gorgeous presentation! You take really great photos too. It looks absolutely superb and delicious! Oh, I would so love to try some right now :D

27. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Wow these look amazing! I’m loving all the flavors combined into one little roll…yum!

28. Lea Ann says:

Beautiful rolls Biren!

29. This looks wonderful! I love spring rolls…love the shrimp in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• Linda says:

You are welcome, Jodee and thank you for stopping by. These rolls are wonderful especially during the warmer months. :)

1. January 14, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Caterham Business, RebeccaSubbiah and Roti n Rice. Roti n Rice said: Vietnamese Style Spring Rolls for a light and healthy lunch http://www.rotinrice.com/2011/01/vietnamese-style-spring-rolls/ […]

2. April 22, 2013