Our short reprieve from the cold and snow ended yesterday when we were dumped with more than a foot of snow. The temperature dived below freezing making it a little harder to bear this time after the “warmer” temperature of the past week. Ro-Ri San and the boys raked the roof and cleared the driveway three times. They were out there again this morning clearing the driveway so that Ro-Ri San could drive out to get to work. The only consolation is that it is President’s Day and there is no school today.
Since yesterday was not a day to be out and about, I made something really quick and easy for lunch. This Japanese roux base curry noodles is really simple to prepare if you have the curry sauce mix on hand. There are very few ingredients required and you’ll have a steaming bowl of delicious noodles in no time. This reminded me of the Japanese Curry Ramen I had in Yokosuka last June.
Please use the kind of noodles you prefer. Both udon or ramen will work fine. You can also vary the toppings. I used chikuwa in place of kamaboko (fish cake), and added some sugar snap peas in this Curry Ramen.
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 packet (6 oz/170g) kamaboko, sliced
- 24 oz (675g) udon
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 8 oz (225g) minced pork
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 packet (3.5 oz/100g) S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
- Salt to taste
- Finely sliced green onions
- Bring a big pot of water to boil. Blanch carrots. Remove. Add kamaboko slices and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove. Next add udon and cook 2 to 3 minutes or as per packaging instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, heat oil. Add minced pork and onions. Fry till onions are lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry sauce mix. Stir till it dissolves.
- Pour in 6 cups (1.5l) water and bring to a boil. Add a little salt if necessary. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide noodles into 4 bowls. Pour soup over noodles. Arrange slices of kamaboko, carrots, and nori on noodles. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve immediately.
NOTE: This post was updated on July 13th, 2015 with new Curry Ramen pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎