Ais Kacang Sundae

Spring is in the air! The weather has been in the 40′s and 50′s this past week with lots of sunshine and the occasional rain. A lot of the snow has melted and we can finally see the ground. It is a mess out there, wet and soggy, but that is alright. It will eventually dry up and green up…yay! It has been a long winter and we are so ready for warmer weather. The boys are also looking forward to spring break coming up real soon. :)

Ice cream is slowly making a comeback as I see it popping up here and there in the blogosphere. Ro-Ri San bought me an ice cream maker last fall which has been sitting on the shelf until I made Coco Nana Sundae in February for an event. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make ice cream with the ice cream maker. Best of all, it was so delicious and I could add in whatever ingredients took my fancy.

Growing up in Malaysia, we had some flavors that cannot be easily found here like red bean, corn, yam, and even durian…yes, durian! Known as the king of fruits in Southeast Asia, those who love durians (and a lot of them do) use them in their cooking, from curries to dessert. No, I did not add durian to this ice cream or I will end up eating it all by myself. I did however base this ice cream on a favorite Malaysian dessert known as Ais Kacang which is shaved ice topped with red beans, cream corn, agar-agar, grass jelly, chopped peanuts, and drizzled with coconut milk and palm sugar syrup or red syrup. This is a very popular dessert in the warm and humid climate there. To make this dessert, you need an ice shaver. I do have a little one tucked away somewhere but instead of digging it out, I decided that I should try making it into an ice cream with my new toy. The family enjoyed it so much that I have already made this twice and will be making it throughout the summer months.

Ais Kacang Sundae

Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Yield: 1.5 quarts

Ais Kacang Sundae

Red Bean and Corn Ice Cream
  • 1 cup (220g) adzuki beans or red beans
  • ½ cup (110g) sugar
  • 2 pandan leaves
  • 2 cups (480ml) water
  • 1½ cups (360ml) coconut milk
  • 1½ cups (360ml) heavy cream
  • 1 cup (8.4oz/240g) cream corn
  • Toppings
  • Chopped peanuts
  • Grass jelly, finely diced (optional)
  • Palm sugar syrup or maple syrup

Soak adzuki beans overnight. Rinse and discard soaking water. Combine beans, sugar, pandan leaves, and water in a medium size pot. Simmer on low for about 1 to 1½ hours or until beans are soft and most of the water has been absorbed. If water boils down too quickly and beans are not soft yet, do add a little more water and continue boiling.

Remove pandan leaves. Add coconut milk and let it come to a boil. Remove from heat.

Blend in cream. Cover and chill overnight.

Stir in cream corn. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.

If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours. Serve with desired toppings.

1. kavitha says:

Wow.Ais Kacang Sundae looks so tempting.

2. Roxan says:

I guess it’s true, every asian country has their own version of shaved ice! This one looks just as delicious as all the others. I love that you added TONS of jelly to yours. I’d like to make this sometime but have no idea where to get grass jelly. I can get almond jelly though… Mmm that would be so heavenly on ice cream :)

3. sweetlife says:

Biren I love this, I love any recipe involving bean..I recently tried adzuki beans and how grown fond of them..

sweetlife

4. kristy says:

Oh wow, this is so cool! I wish someone gift me an ice-cream maker too. lol! Yes, I can imagine how easy it is if there’s a machine at home. I’ll have to say. This is absolutely a killer! Yummm… Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.
    Blessings, Kristy

5. Spring IS in the air – this is more unusual sundae, but one I’d like to try!

6. Victoria says:

I had red bean ice cream in Chinatown once and totally fell in love with it. I am very intrigued by this recipe. Isn’t it great having an ice cream maker? I love mine too! Thanks so much for sharing :)

7. Rumana says:

Wow!!! that looks just amazing:)

8. I must admit, this is a new one for me but it looks amazing! Now i’m going to have to go and buy an ice cream maker!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex, aka Ma What’s For Dinner

9. AIS KACANG????!!!! The last time I had some I was in JB…goodnes…this is why I LOVE visitng you because you always take me back to a lovely memory…awesome and I wish I could spoon the screen with these hot temps here today :) AWESOME BIREN!!

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

I love that you visit me Devaki. It is so good to be able to share with people who enjoy food as much as I do and it is fun to go down memory lane together. :)

10. LeQuan says:

Let the record show that I LOVE DURIAN!!!!!! Although my picture should speak for itself. Teehee. This is one of the best types of desserts that I’ve had. I like your substitution of ice cream much better than shaved ice. This looks absolutely delicious, Biren! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

LeQuan, there is nothing wrong with loving durian. It is definitely an acquired taste but many people do like it. Some of the cakes and desserts when done well can be quite nice. This ice cream is definitely creamier than the shaved ice and best of all, it can be kept in the freezer for whenever I feel like having some. :) Have a good weekend!

11. delicious sundae looks wonderful

12. Lyndsey says:

Spring for us is back in the 80s here in Florida. We’ve had a picture perfect weather week! The only problem is…everyone is down here for spring break!

Your ice cream dessert is so interesting to me. I have had adzuki beans in shave ice when I lived in Hawaii, and I’ve even made red bean paste to use in a dessert. I tried durian candy, and liked it, but had to get used to the smell, and would love to try the fruit. I have made some pandan pancake puffs (love pandan). I have used palm sugar and enjoy it. I was never a fan of creamed corn, and I haven’t tried grass jelly. I would love to try your ice cream! It is fascinating. I want to make my own ginger ice cream, that’s on my list. Do you have a good recipe for that? Thanks so much for this recipe!

13. I absolutely adore this! I’m glad to hear it’s warming up for you…Happy Spring :)
    P.S. I have never heard of Grass jelly, sounds interesting though…

14. Suchitra says:

Biren, I am new to Pandan leaves- never worked with them- but your sundae looks gorgeous! and ur presentation as usual gets a gold star ;)

15. Joanne says:

I am SO ready for ice cream sundae season to begin, especially after seeing this! Delicious.

16. Peggy says:

How new and different! This sundae looks great! I love all of the interesting flavors!

It is occasional(or no?) sunshine and lots of rain here in California :( …I like Ice Kacang with lots of attap seeds ;)

Oh yes, I remember those attap chi. I’ve seen those in cans at the Asian grocery stores. They are a nice addition to ais kacang.

18. Oh wow! The ice cream alone would be just dandy for me!! LOVE red bean and sweetcorn together. Even the colour of the ice cream is so appealing. You make me want to whip out my ice cream so badly – I’ve only used it once since I bought it *tsk tsk tsk* Bad, bad, bad Denise :P

You should pull out your ice cream maker as it is fun to make your own ice cream. I am loving mine and will be making more ice cream in the coming months. Need to increase the workout time too! ;)

Red bean ice cream is one of my favorites. The addition of cream corn topped with leong fun really does satisfy the craving for ice kacang.

19. DongXing says:

Aah Biren, another one of my favourites! I introduced this to my kids last year when we were in Malaysia with some reservation because of the adzuki beans and kidney beans. To my surprise, they absolutely love it with all the toppings, red syrup, evaported milk, peanuts, grass jelly and shaved ice. My daughter thinks it will be a fab thing to eat on a hot summer’s day after a nice BBQ. I think I am definitely going to attempt this even though I do not have an ice cream machine. She will be over the moon…

It is wonderful when the kids enjoy the food we enjoy. Glad yours liked the ais kacang. This will make a nice summer treat for them. :)

20. Oh la la!!! Love your version of ice kacang!

21. Shu han says:

that looks sooooo yummy! is there any way i can do this without an icecream maker ): ?

1. August 3, 2011

[...] cream maker late last summer. I have been having fun coming up with all sorts of combinations like Red Bean and Corn Ice Cream and Ginger Tea Ice [...]