Ginger Tea Ice Cream (Teh Halia Ice Cream)

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Ginger tea or teh halia as it is known in Malaysia is a sweet, spicy, and invigorating drink, much welcomed on cooler days. This beverage is prepared with black tea, grated ginger, and condensed milk. Sometimes it is pulled like teh tarik making it frothy at the top. Normally consumed warm, it is a good drink to calm the stomach after a heavy and oily meal.

When Lyndsey of The Tiny Skillet asked if I have a good ginger ice cream recipe, this tea came to mind. I have to admit, I never thought of making an ice cream with ginger but the idea she put forth got me really excited. I was eager to give it a try. I made a very strong ginger tea with four ounces of grated ginger and four black teabags steeped in sweetened milk. After combining it with the heavy whipping cream, the taste of the ginger tea was just right, and not at all over powering. I made it a little less sweet so that I could top it with crystallized ginger and condensed milk. The ice cream was rich, creamy, fragrant, and quite delicious! Thank you Lyndsey for the inspiration!

Ginger Tea Ice Cream (Teh Halia Ice Cream)

Yield: 1.5 quarts

Ginger Tea Ice Cream (Teh Halia Ice Cream)

• 4 oz (100g) ginger, peeled
  • 4 black tea bags
  • 2/3 cup (150g) sugar
  • 1½ cups (360ml) whole milk
  • 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream
  • Toppings
  • Crystallized ginger, chopped (optional)
  • Condensed milk (optional)

Grate ginger into a medium sized pot. Add sugar and milk and bring to a gentle boil stirring to melt sugar. Turn off heat.

Place tea bags into milk and steep for 5 minutes.

Remove tea bags. Pour in cream and stir to combine. Cover and chill overnight.

Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes. If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours.

Serve with desired toppings.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. Jill Colonna says:

Biren,
    I don’t believe it. I made ice-cream this afternoon and would have preferred to make this one for something different. I adore ginger and with the tea…. hmmmm. I will have to try this for another time, so recipe saved! Bon weekend to you x

2. Jay says:

Looks pretty yummy n lovely…beautiful clicks..
    Tasty Appetite

3. i like the combination of ginger, tea and condensed milk this brings all those things together lovely and delicious for a warm day

4. Shirley says:

Very unique recipe!

With the panna cotta earlier, and ice-cream today, you really make me look forward to summer (even spring just started!) ;p

6. Well, now, I have to choose between your lemongrass panna cotta and your ginger tea ice cream to serve at our monthly soup sunday this week! We’re serving a soup from thailand and one from Korea, and somehow both of these desserts served in tiny cups would be a nice little touch. Thanks for the great ideas.

My best,
    Pam

Your monthly Soup Sunday sounds like a fun event! I am sure your soups will be very well received. Yes, the desserts will work well in little cups. :)

7. LeQuan says:

I’ve never had ginger ice cream before, how interesting. Plain ice cream itself is already enough for me to eat a whole tub, but dressed up the way you did it, I don’t know how many tubs would be enough for me…teehee.

8. Love the tea infusion! So creative!

9. MaryMoh says:

Cold and warming…what a combination!

10. Nithu says:

Mouthwatering. Looks so yummy…

11. anncoo says:

cool! I love ginger ice cream. Nice presentation :) I made once before ginger ice cream with rum.

12. Yuki Endo says:

Extremely mouth-watering, more so after reading the recipe! The colours look good too, and the candied ginger is definitely a “plus” garnish!

13. Wow, teh halia ice cream is really the best Asian flavor one can possibly think of! You’re a genius, Biren… and now you make me want to make similar flavored teh tarik ice creams!

14. Biren, this is such a beautiful ice cream. The color is so pretty with the candied ginger and condensed milk spilling down the sides.

Kristi

15. ginger, tea and condensed milk, what a great combo. the ice cream makes me dream of summer.
    Thanks for sharing Biren

16. wow The combination of fresh ginger and tea in ice cream sounds heavenly! A perfect treat for F1 racing!

17. tina says:

tempting clicks dear…..ice cream sounds mouthwatering….

18. Suchitra says:

Looks gorgeous and loved the ginger flavor for the icecream! awesome

19. Pachecopatty says:

Oh La La Biren, I really like this ice cream and think it would finish off a meal nicely or just by itself on a warm Summer’s day ;-)

20. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Love this ice cream! I have a friend that owns an ice cream shop here in NY and she would love this recipe! I will have to tell her about this flavor…yum!

21. santosh says:

mouthatering and tempting
    1st time here .wonderful space
    do visit my blog

22. elisabeth says:

Such a refreshing, unusual and delicious ice cream, Biren. I sure would love to make this for today, It’s going to be 90 degress today, here in S. Florida.
    Beautiful presentation, as well:D
    Have a wonderful Sunday:-D

23. Wow this is a really nice local flavour! Bravo for trying it for the rest of us who just thought about it :) Love the crystallized ginger to finish it off!

24. This looks delicious! Love the addition of ginger! Creamy frozen teh halia tarik! Yummmy!

25. I have never tried ginger flavoured ice cream, this sounds so intriguing…:)!!

26. Wow, that sounds delicious! Tea and ginger are some of my favourite -and now in ice cream form!!

27. Julie M. says:

Biren,

You’ve really outdone yourself with this one. Man does that sound good! I’m guessing the sharpness of the ginger paired with the creaminess of the dairy is absolutely amazing.

28. Lyndsey says:

Biren, I can’t believe I missed this! Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for this wonderful ice cream. I am definitely going to try it! Actually I wish I could grab a bite of yours sitting so pretty ion the photo. I wonder if I could add the crystallized ginger through the whole thing? I love that it’s a little less sweet )like it was made for me) and the ginger with the sweetened condensed milk is like the cherry on top! Ha!

Thank you for the mention, I am so happy to be an inspiration if this is the results!

You are most welcomed Lyndsey. Hubby and I really enjoyed this ice cream and I plan to make it again soon. The condensed milk is totally optional if you prefer it less sweet. The 4 oz of ginger I added is about right but you can definitely mix in the crystallized ginger if you like it even more gingery.

29. This is my idea of heaven in a cup!
    Ginger and ice cream, glorious :)

30. kristy says:

Wow Biren, this ice cream sounds simply amazing. I wonder how it tastes like. Must try it out one day. This is so cool!
    Thanks for sharing. Hope you’re having a great week.
    Kristy

31. Tiffany says:

I wish I had a scoop of this right now! Delicious! Ginger is one of my favorite flavors!

32. oh YUM… this may be a good winter ice cream… :)

33. I adore ginger. This recipe makes me smile and I can’t wait to make it. I’m not sure if I’ll include the tea since that’s one thing I can’t stand at all, but the rest of it sounds perfect. Many thanks!

34. This is so pretty!!! I bookmarked and “pinned” this recipe to try soon. I love ginger and can’t wait to try this. I need to get an ice cream maker, also ;)

Thanks Sarah! This ice cream is really good topped with crystallized ginger. Have not made it for a while. I need to make some soon. :)

1. August 15, 2011

[…] During the warm summer months, ice cream is the most wanted dessert at our home. I always have a couple of store-bought tubs in the freezer. The flavors are limited though as I only buy egg-free ice cream because a member of the family has egg allergy. That changed when Ro-Ri San presented me with an ice cream maker late last summer. I have been having fun coming up with all sorts of combinations like Red Bean and Corn Ice Cream and Ginger Tea Ice Cream. […]

2. September 19, 2011