Ginger Tea Ice Cream (Teh Halia Ice Cream)

Ginger tea or teh halia as it is known in Malaysia is a sweet, spicy, and invigorating drink, much welcomed on cooler days. This beverage is prepared with black tea, grated ginger, and condensed milk. Sometimes it is pulled like teh tarik making it frothy at the top. Normally consumed warm, it is a good drink to calm the stomach after a heavy and oily meal.

When Lyndsey of The Tiny Skillet asked if I have a good ginger ice cream recipe, this tea came to mind. I have to admit, I never thought of making an ice cream with ginger but the idea she put forth got me really excited. I was eager to give it a try. I made a very strong ginger tea with four ounces of grated ginger and four black teabags steeped in sweetened milk. After combining it with the heavy whipping cream, the taste of the ginger tea was just right, and not at all over powering. I made it a little less sweet so that I could top it with crystallized ginger and condensed milk. The ice cream was rich, creamy, fragrant, and quite delicious! Thank you Lyndsey for the inspiration!

Ginger Tea Ice Cream (Teh Halia Ice Cream)

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 1.5 quarts
  • 4 oz (100g) ginger, peeled
  • 4 black tea bags
  • ⅔ cup (150g) sugar
  • 1½ cups (360ml) whole milk
  • 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream
Toppings
  • Crystallized ginger, chopped (optional)
  • Condensed milk (optional)
  1. Grate ginger into a medium sized pot. Add sugar and milk and bring to a gentle boil stirring to melt sugar. Turn off heat.
  2. Place tea bags into milk and steep for 5 minutes.
  3. Remove tea bags. Pour in cream and stir to combine. Cover and chill overnight.
  4. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes. If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours.
  5. Serve with desired toppings.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. says

Biren,
    I don’t believe it. I made ice-cream this afternoon and would have preferred to make this one for something different. I adore ginger and with the tea…. hmmmm. I will have to try this for another time, so recipe saved! Bon weekend to you x

2. says

Well, now, I have to choose between your lemongrass panna cotta and your ginger tea ice cream to serve at our monthly soup sunday this week! We’re serving a soup from thailand and one from Korea, and somehow both of these desserts served in tiny cups would be a nice little touch. Thanks for the great ideas.

My best,
    Pam

• Biren says

Your monthly Soup Sunday sounds like a fun event! I am sure your soups will be very well received. Yes, the desserts will work well in little cups. :)

3. says

I’ve never had ginger ice cream before, how interesting. Plain ice cream itself is already enough for me to eat a whole tub, but dressed up the way you did it, I don’t know how many tubs would be enough for me…teehee.

4. Yuki Endo says

Extremely mouth-watering, more so after reading the recipe! The colours look good too, and the candied ginger is definitely a “plus” garnish!

5. says

Such a refreshing, unusual and delicious ice cream, Biren. I sure would love to make this for today, It’s going to be 90 degress today, here in S. Florida.
    Beautiful presentation, as well:D
    Have a wonderful Sunday:-D

6. says

Biren,

You’ve really outdone yourself with this one. Man does that sound good! I’m guessing the sharpness of the ginger paired with the creaminess of the dairy is absolutely amazing.

7. says

Biren, I can’t believe I missed this! Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for this wonderful ice cream. I am definitely going to try it! Actually I wish I could grab a bite of yours sitting so pretty ion the photo. I wonder if I could add the crystallized ginger through the whole thing? I love that it’s a little less sweet )like it was made for me) and the ginger with the sweetened condensed milk is like the cherry on top! Ha!

Thank you for the mention, I am so happy to be an inspiration if this is the results!

• Biren says

You are most welcomed Lyndsey. Hubby and I really enjoyed this ice cream and I plan to make it again soon. The condensed milk is totally optional if you prefer it less sweet. The 4 oz of ginger I added is about right but you can definitely mix in the crystallized ginger if you like it even more gingery.

8. says

Wow Biren, this ice cream sounds simply amazing. I wonder how it tastes like. Must try it out one day. This is so cool!
    Thanks for sharing. Hope you’re having a great week.
    Kristy

• Biren says

Thanks Sarah! This ice cream is really good topped with crystallized ginger. Have not made it for a while. I need to make some soon. :)

Trackbacks

1. […] During the warm summer months, ice cream is the most wanted dessert at our home. I always have a couple of store-bought tubs in the freezer. The flavors are limited though as I only buy egg-free ice cream because a member of the family has egg allergy. That changed when Ro-Ri San presented me with an ice cream maker late last summer. I have been having fun coming up with all sorts of combinations like Red Bean and Corn Ice Cream and Ginger Tea Ice Cream. […]