Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint Sauce

Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint SauceGoing Green is March’s theme for Dessert Wars. Reeni and Christine have laid out a paired list of natural green ingredients for the challenge – traditional and non-traditional. The participants had to select at least one ingredient from each list. Given the two lists I had to wreck my brain for the best possible combination. I chose kiwi and mint from the traditional list and lemongrass from the non-traditional list.

These three ingredients have very distinctive flavors of their own. I wanted something subtle and mild to bind them together. Panna Cotta which means cooked cream in Italian would work. I infused the cream with lemongrass just enough to give it a bite. The simple kiwi mint sauce rounded off the dessert nicely, by giving it a light and fresh flavor. The combination was quite delightful and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. To my readers in Asia, the taste and texture of panna cotta is akin to a creamier Tau Foo Fah (Soy Bean Pudding).

Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint Sauce

This recipe was adapted from Giada’s at the Food Network. I have lightened it up by reducing the cream and using some half-and-half (half cream and half milk) instead.

Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint Sauce

• ¾ cups (180ml) heavy whipping cream
Kiwi Mint Sauce
  • 3 kiwi fruit, peeled
  • 3 to 4 sprigs mint, stems removed
  • 1 tbsp (14g) sugar
To make Lemongrass Panna Cotta
  1. Lightly oil 4 ramekins with neutral tasting oil.
  2. Using a meat pounder, crush lemongrass. Place in a small saucepan together with half and half. Sprinkle gelatin over and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Add sugar and place saucepan on the stove over medium heat stirring until gelatin and sugar dissolve. Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes to allow lemongrass flavor to develop.
  3. Remove lemongrass and stir in cream. Strain mixture over a fine sieve to remove any undissolved gelatin.
  4. Pour into ramekins. Transfer to fridge and allow panna cotta to set for at least 8 hours or overnight.
To make Kiwi Mint Sauce
  1. Place kiwifruit, mint leaves, and sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.
To unmold and serve
  1. Carefully dip bottom of each ramekin in a baking pan filled with hot water briefly. Run a thin knife around edge of each ramekin to loosen. Invert onto the plate and carefully lift off ramekin. Drizzle kiwi mint sauce over the top.

Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint Sauce

I really like the silky wobbly texture of this Lemongrass Panna Cotta. The kiwi mint sauce is a nice counterpoint to this creamy dessert. Do give it a try.

Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint Sauce

Comments

1. says

I adore the versatility of panna cotta, as you demonstrate here with your lemongrass infusion. This is so pretty, too, with the lovely fresh green sauce. Lovely ideas, both.

You are more brave than I am though… I’ve quit inverting my panna cottas onto a plate, and now just make them in pretty small cut-glass wine glasses that allow room for a sauce on top. I had too many that just fell into an unattractive blob the other way!!! Nice job.

• Biren says

Hi Pam, thanks for visiting. :) I think dipping the base of the mold in hot water helps. All four turned out well. I would probably use staright edge ramekins next time.

2. says

Beautiful panna cotta, Biren. The lemongrass infused panna cotta idea is one I’ve never heard of, but makes so much sense. I can only imagine the flavors of lemongrass, mint, and kiwi mingling together – simply divine.

3. says

Green is my favorite food color!! My automatic response would have been green tea dessert, but your idea of lemongrass with kiwi mint sauce trumps my trite Asian idea. It looks marvelous!

• Biren says

Green is a lovely food color. Green tea is a wonderful ingredient to use but I wanted something a little different this time. I am glad I was a little more “adventurous” as the panna cotta turned out beautifully. :)

4. says

Goshhhh!!! This is what I call a sinfully delicious looking dessert!!! Truly mouthwatering one.

Loved the addition of lemongrass and kiwi fruits here!

I made some panna cotta using buttermilk recently..shall we exchange? Hehehe…

5. says

Biren, you are so creative with this. What an amazing touch with the lemongrass. I feel I can taste it from here! As usual, your photos are nothing short of stunning.

6. DongXing says

Hey, Biren. I made this on Sunday for pudding yesterday and they were delicious. My kids think I am soo… clever, he he he!!!! The lemongrass flavour was so subtle that my kids didn’t even notice it. Absolutely delicious and so simple too!

• Biren says

Glad to hear that you had a chance to try out the recipe. Yes, the lemongrass flavor should be subtle and not over-powering. For a stronger flavor, you may have to steep it slightly longer. I think using two lemongrass might be a little too much unless you really love the taste of lemongrass.

7. says

Oh that is so pretty with the kiwi!!! I strongly considered doing a panna cotta for this month!!! Im glad you did!! Mine wouldnt of been half as beautiful! Good luck with the dessert war!

8. says

What a gorgeous panna cotta, and great use of the ‘green’ with the lemongrass, kiwi and mint. Sounds delicious! Good luck to you :)

• Biren says

I would not recommend using jarred lemongrass for this recipe. Perhaps you can look for fresh lemongrass at an Asian market near you.

Trackbacks

1. […] http://www.rotinrice.com/2011/03/lemongrass-panna-cotta-with-kiwi-mint-sauce/So, here goes…TERRA MADRE SPECIAL: LEMONGRASS PANNA COTTA WITH KIWI MINT DRIZZLE What you need: For the panna cotta 200 ml of coconut milk ( I used Dabur, it was exactly a 200 ml carton) 200 ml of cream (I used amul, exactly 200 ml) 200 ml of milk 50 grams of brown sugar 50 grams of regular sugar 6 grams/little less than half a tablespoon of gelatin Five to six stalks of lemongrass For the kiwi mint drizzle One precious kiwi A handful of chopped mint Two teaspoons of sugar, or more What to do: 1. Add all the milky things, cream, coconut milk, and milk to a pan. Add the sugar (both kinds) also.   […]