Sweet Corn Pudding and Class Party

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Sweet Corn Pudding

I can’t exactly remember when was the last time I had Sweet Corn Pudding before making these two days back. During my schooling years, this was a popular class party dish. The year-end class party was something to look forward to as it signified the end of the school year and the beginning of the 8-weeks school holidays. School uniforms were mandatory and the only day we were allowed to wear street clothes to school was party day. We would dress up and put on our best clothes for this occasion. The teachers were extra nice and tolerant on that day and food can be eaten in the classroom.

Food, glorious food! There was an abundance of food as each child brought a dish to share. Some favorites were mee siam (spicy fried rice noodles), sardine sandwiches, curry puffs, roti jala (net crepes) with chicken curry, Steamed Glutinous Rice, kuih pie tee (top hats), tahu bakar (stuffed grilled tofu), coconut candy, agar-agar (jellies), and an assortment of kuihs (steamed cakes). Drinks normally consisted of rose syrup or grass jelly mix. We were allowed to pack home the leftovers. It was all good.

Sweet Corn Pudding

You have probably noticed that I did not mention any kind of baked goods as most homes did not have ovens when I was in elementary school. Cakes and cupcakes were seldom, if ever, seen. Hence, we had a lot of steamed cakes and agar-agar which were all cooked on the stove. This corn pudding can be prepared in a few minutes on the stove. We used a British brand of custard powder known as Bird’s custard. If I remember correctly, that was the only brand of custard powder available. A quick check on the internet confirmed that it is indeed Bird’s, as the red, yellow, and blue can is unmistakable. The closest thing we have here in the US is the ever popular Jell-O Cook & Serve pudding and pie filling. I seldom buy this stuff but now it is time to try it out.

Jell-O instant pudding is more readily available and come in a wide range of flavors while the cook & serve is more limited. Most stores only carry the vanilla flavor but I did find a store in my area selling the custard dessert. The instructions on the packaging says to use two cups of milk to one packet of pudding mix bringing it to a full boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. I used one cup of coconut milk with one can of cream style corn which equals roughly three cups of liquid. I added two teaspoons of agar-agar powder to help it coagulate. I was so pleased that it turned out right the very first time. The next day, I used the same recipe but tried the instant mix instead. It was disappointing! While the taste remain more or less the same, it did not coagulate the same way as the cook & serve. I was curious no more! So, there you have it. Please use the COOK & SERVE and not the instant.

Sweet Corn Pudding

I used the agar-agar powder and molds sent by my friend Ann of Anncoo Journal. You should be able to find agar-agar powder at the Asian grocery stores. A friend purchased hers at a healthfood store. If not, please try using Knox unflavored gelatine.

Sweet Corn Pudding

Sweet Corn Pudding

Yield: 12 molded pudding

Sweet Corn Pudding

• 1 packet (2.9oz/82g) Jell-O Cook & Serve custard dessert**
  • 1 can (14.75oz/418g) cream style corn
  • 1 cup (8oz/250ml) coconut milk
  • 2 tsp agar-agar powder

Prepare any kind of small molds about 1½in to 2in in diameter

Place coconut milk, pudding mixture and agar-agar powder into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat stirring constantly until custard and agar-agar powders have dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add cream corn and continue stirring for another 4 to 5 minutes until well combined. Remove from heat.

Allow mixture to cool slightly before filling the molds. Place filled mold in the fridge for at least 2 hours before unmolding.

Notes

**Not many stores carry the Jell-O Cook & Serve custard dessert. Please use the Cook & Serve vanilla flavor if you can’t find the custard dessert.

Sweet Corn Pudding

Sweet Corn Pudding

1. msihua says:

For the first instant, I thought they were mango puddings, before reading further to discover they are actually sweet corn!! Yum!!!

2. Tiffany says:

I’ve never had or heard of corn pudding! But this looks wonderful!!!

3. ck says:

They look gorgeous and a taste sensation. I would love to try these.

4. Nasifriet says:

This recipe brings me down memory lane. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Biren. I love the vibrant yellow colour of the velvety agar-agar. I’m sure it tasted great!

5. love2cook says:

WOW…sweet corn pudding is our family’s favourite! Make them quite often too…

Loved the shapes here…yumm! :D

The B&W photos must be so precious!

7. Looks like one of my other childhood favourites, mango pudding. I’d love to try the sweet corn one one day!

8. LeQuan says:

class parties at your school sound so delicious. bonus that you guys got to pack the leftovers home too. i’ve never tried sweet corn pudding before, but would love to some time. this looks so cute and yummy made with those molds.

9. How pretty, I love the bright yellow colours and corn puddings sound delicious!

10. Joanne says:

Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve ever had a corn pudding but it sounds so delicious, especially for a corn lover like me!

11. rebecca says:

these are so pretty lovely post Biren and my Dad loves birds custard :-)

12. I was just thinking about corn custard the other day! We call this corn custard. Used to have this when we were young and you are right that it is ever so famous at any party we go to! I should say that this is comfort dessert! Have not eaten this for quite some time! Kinda miss it!

I think we do refer to it as corn custard sometimes. I was talking to a childhood friend and we could not exactly remember whether it was custard or pudding but since it does not contain eggs, I decided to go with pudding. :)

Yes, all those delicious kuih-muih that I miss. Some are too elaborate to make but the only way to taste it is to make it over here.

13. These are so delightful! I LOVE the photo!! Which one is you??

14. Glad to know I’m not the only one wondering which one is you LOL If I may hazard a guess, I would say you’re seated at the table, close to your teacher? Hmmmmm…… it’s not a very clear picture. Drat! :D

I really like the colour of the pudding and it goes without saying that I love sweetcorn!

15. Jill Colonna says:

Biren,
    These look amazing! So cute, too, done in these molds. What a lovely combination: never seen anything quite like it. Loved hearing your story about school parties. Can just imagine the excitement. Great photo!

16. suchitra says:

Biren, the sweet corn pudding looks finger lickn gooooood! lovely presentation :)

17. anncoo says:

Biren, love the corn pudding you made in the mold. Very pretty!
    I think you’re the tallest girl in class, right?

Ann, I love the molds you sent me. They are so pretty and I can use it for so many kinds of desserts. I also like the agar-agar powder as they are very convenient. Thank you once again. :)

I was one of the tallest girls in the class. ;)

18. Pam says:

Yum! Your corn pudding looks delicious! Bet that was really a fun day at school for all of you!

19. It’s been a long time since I had corn pudding! These bring back memories =)

20. Trix says:

I don’t think I have ever had sweet corn pudding – yours are so cute! I am envious of your big school food party … we never had anything like that!

21. Pachecopatty says:

Hi Biren, I’ve never seen corn pudding like this but I can imagine that these are a delicacy and have wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing a little personal history and such a sweet photo;-)

22. I am so hungry now looking at those pretty corn pudding. Somehow they remind me of “mango pudding”.

23. DongXing says:

I say, Biren! You are really making me homesick – for my parents, for the food and for those bygone school days… Yes, the end of year school party was fabulous, wasn’t it? It was also a time for our mums to show off their culinary skills too, because we always talked about whose food was the best. I remember describing the various types of food that were there, and also sharing with my mum and siblings whatever I get to bring home in the doggie bag. Jagung puding is one of my favourites, so creamy….

I say DongXing, very sorry to make you feel homesick. Yes, those year-end class parties were really enjoyable. They may be in the past but we get to reminisce about them and the good old days which can be fun in itself. :) It was good that our dear moms at least got some recognition for their culinary efforts as we children were not always very appreciative. Glad to know that jagung pudding is also one of your favorites.

24. Claudia says:

I have never heard of these but loving the idea of sweet corn in a pudding. It’s so wonderful to hear the reasoning behind so many steamed desserts – no oven! Reminds me of the towns in Italy where the Italians brought their dough to the baker’s once a week to be baked.

Back to the pudding – it is just engaging and inviting.

Only when I was in junior high and high school did ovens slowly started appearing in homes. Prior to that, only a few had those round table top ovennettes. Other cakes were made using charcoal grills or braziers outdoors similar to the barbecue grill. The Chinese New Year delicacy known as “Kuih Kapit” or “love letters” were made (and are still being made) using an iron with a long handle over charcoal brazier similar to the Italian pizelle iron. Unfortunately I do not have the irons to make them.

25. Both your story and sweet corn pudding are beautiful. I’ve never tried this before but I am so intrigued, I love trying new food. I have heard that across Asian countries steamed sweets are more common.

26. These looks too cute! And you’re right I don’t remember the last time I had this either, must’ve been a long while :)

27. Sommer @ ASP says:

Biren, I love the old photo and story. This looks like a great treat for kids an grown-ups alike!

28. Shirley says:

Coconut milk and agar agar is a fantastic combination. Am curious how it must taste with corn. Love to try.

29. Those class parties must have been so much fun. The sweet corn puddings are gorgeous made with this mold!

30. Priya says:

That looks SO good – really yummy color and perfectly molded :)

31. Nutmeg Nanny says:

These look great! I have never had a corn pudding before but it looks lovey and very Spring :)

32. Victoria says:

What a lovely look at your childhood!! I think this dessert looks wonderful (I love corn). Thank you so much for sharing one of your favorite memories, and I’m glad that at least with the cook and serve version you were able to recreate those same flavors :)

33. Blackswan says:

Nice one, Biren! Certainly reminds me of my childhood too. These cans of cream corn are so useful. I used them for my V-day Sorbet too :)

34. Emily says:

This is a great post.. very interesting to read!

35. What a wonderful trip down memory lane – I don’t remember having any class parties with great food like you described! I’ve never had corn pudding like this, but I love the vibrant color and molded shape.

36. anncoo says:

haha……Biren is the sweet little girl with dark glasses :)

37. I just love that food attaches so many memories along with it…these are amazing and delightfully prepared pudding, so wonderful!

38. Patricia says:

Hi Biren,
    If one is using custard, what is the quantity to use? Thanks.

39. Okay… I have all these ingredients!! This looks like a great recipe to try. I loved your school photos!! :)

1. April 2, 2011

[...] find out which one is Biren in the elementary class party photo, please go to the end of the post here. Thanks for making a [...]

2. April 19, 2012

[...] more recipes from the Holiday Gallery or Cuisine Gallery and drop-down menus at the top of the page. Sweet Corn Pudding and Class Party Tau Foo Fah (Soy Bean Pudding) Curried Corn Chowder Sweet Rice Cake with Mango Custard Topping [...]

3. May 15, 2012

[...] see a picture of my elementary class party, please click here. My last class party was more than two decades ago. Sadly, these sandwiches seldom made an [...]