Guest Post: Mango Egg Tarts

Mango Egg Tarts

I was thrilled when Jill Colonna, the author of Mad About Macarons invited me to do a guest post for her blog. I was nervous yet excited about the prospect of posting something to complement her impressive collection of confectioneries. Jill had one request. The recipe should have at least two egg yolks because “macaronivores” use up egg whites and leave the egg yolks all yellow with no where to go.

I spent several days thinking about what I could share with her wide audience. I finally settled on an East meets West kind of recipe. Please do Jill and me the honor of going over to Mad About Macarons to read my Mango Egg Tarts post. Thank you!

Mango Egg Tarts

Mango Egg Tarts

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 6 tarts
Graham Cracker Crust
  • 1¼ cups (140g) finely crushed Graham crackers (Marie biscuits, Digestive biscuits, or ginger snaps)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 5 tbsp (70g) unsalted butter, melted
Mango Custard
  • 1 cup (240ml) mango puree
  • ¾ cup (180ml) coconut milk
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp (30gm) butter
  • 2 tbsp rice flour
  1. Line a standard size muffin pan with 8 foil liners.
Graham Cracker Crust
  1. Stir together crushed Graham crackers, sugar and butter until well combined. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of lined muffin pan. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 8 minutes. In the mean time, work on the custard. When crust is ready, remove and cool on a rack. Leave oven on.
Mango Custard
  1. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks lightly. Set aside. Heat butter in a pan and cook flour. Pour in mango puree, coconut milk, and sugar stirring over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in egg yolks until well combined. Pour warm filling into baked tart shells. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 12 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack. When it is cool enough to handle, transfer baked tarts to a flat pan. Cover with foil and chill for at least 4 hours in the fridge.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

Biren,

Thank you so much for your wonderfully exotic egg tarts; they are divine, just like all your recipes on Roti n’ Rice. Merci for sharing them with us!

2. says

What a pretty teacup, Biren! The tarts sound really delicious — love the flavor of mango! I’m off to check out the recipe!

• Biren says

Thanks Adora for your kind comments both here and at Mad About Macarons! I hope you have a lovely weekend. :)

3. says

4. says

New follower and fan here, Biren. Popping over from Jill’s blog…and I just love your marvelous mango tarts! What a fabulous way to use up extra yolks…these look delish!

5. says

Biren, you are genius! An East meets West recipe at Jill’s website. I am going there right now to check out how to make these yummy looking tarts! I love these flaky crusts… YUM! Having a cup of tea sounds like a great idea!

6. says

Hi Biren, this Mango egg tart look so unique and I am sure everyone loves it very much.
    Sorry for the late in coming here as I was sick last week and have not much blog hopping.
    Have a great Monday :)

7. Jeannie says

This I must hop over to see, I too have leftover egg yolks waiting to be used!:D The photos are drool worthy!

8. Devan says

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Just a question. There is one part of the recipe which mentioned :

(Heat butter in a pan and cook flour).

May i know how long do i have to cook the flour?

thks and regards

• Devan says

Hi ,

I tried this recipe and is yummy. I did the normal tart as i dont have digestive biscuit with me. However i dont get those nice yellowish colour tart like yours and i think the coconut milk overpower the mango puree. Mine taste more like “kaya custard”. But never mind about that, over all is delicious. Thanks again.

rgds

• Biren says

Thanks Devan, for taking the time to let me know how it went for you. I am glad you found it delicious. You must have very nice and thick coconut milk where you live (Malaysia?). Over here, I either use carton or canned coconut milk. I prefer the carton but there isn’t much taste to it. There is also thickening agent and so it must be diluted. Perhaps you can use lighter coconut milk or dilute it with water. For the crust, you can use Marie biscuits if you do not have digestive biscuit.

• Devan says

Hi,

Yes….i m from Malaysia…and i bought fresly squeeze coconut milk…is real thick!!!! Probably that is the reason why i dont get the nice yellowish tart. May be next time i will try using diluted coconut milk.

9. says

Wow….these looks so pretty and delicious. I have always enjoyed egg tarts but have not tried mango egg tarts. I love mangoes and dI’m sure they are equally delicious. Hope to try one day. Thanks very much for sharing.

Trackbacks