Guest Post: Mango Egg Tarts

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Mango Egg Tarts

I was thrilled when Jill Colonna, the author of Mad About Macarons invited me to do a guest post for her blog. I was nervous yet excited about the prospect of posting something to complement her impressive collection of confectioneries. Jill had one request. The recipe should have at least two egg yolks because “macaronivores” use up egg whites and leave the egg yolks all yellow with no where to go.

I spent several days thinking about what I could share with her wide audience. I finally settled on an East meets West kind of recipe. Please do Jill and me the honor of going over to Mad About Macarons to read my Mango Egg Tarts post. Thank you!

Mango Egg Tarts

Mango Egg Tarts

Yield: 6 tarts

Mango Egg Tarts

Graham Cracker Crust
  • 1¼ cups (140g) finely crushed Graham crackers (Marie biscuits, Digestive biscuits, or ginger snaps)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 5 tbsp (70g) unsalted butter, melted
  • Mango Custard
  • 1 cup (240ml) mango puree
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) coconut milk
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp (30gm) butter
  • 2 tbsp rice flour

Line a standard size muffin pan with 8 foil liners.

Graham Cracker Crust

Stir together crushed Graham crackers, sugar and butter until well combined. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of lined muffin pan. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 8 minutes. In the mean time, work on the custard. When crust is ready, remove and cool on a rack. Leave oven on.

Mango Custard

In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks lightly. Set aside. Heat butter in a pan and cook flour. Pour in mango puree, coconut milk, and sugar stirring over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in egg yolks until well combined. Pour warm filling into baked tart shells. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 12 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack. When it is cool enough to handle, transfer baked tarts to a flat pan. Cover with foil and chill for at least 4 hours in the fridge.

1. Jill Colonna says:

Biren,

Thank you so much for your wonderfully exotic egg tarts; they are divine, just like all your recipes on Roti n’ Rice. Merci for sharing them with us!

2. Faith says:

What a pretty teacup, Biren! The tarts sound really delicious — love the flavor of mango! I’m off to check out the recipe!

3. Yum, I must head over cause I want to make this!! I love egg tarts and cant wait to try it with the mango flavors. Congrats on the guest post too Biren! Have a great weekend. =)

4. simply.food says:

These look delicious so will surely go and read the full post.

5. Great job with the guest post, looks and sounds wonderful!

6. Adora's Box says:

Biren, this looks and sounds so delicious. Lots of Asian flavours all in one tart. Excellent!

Thanks Adora for your kind comments both here and at Mad About Macarons! I hope you have a lovely weekend. :)

7. Biren, this looks fantastic!! I am heading over to Jill’s asap!

8. Alisa says:

Congratulations on the guest post Biren! I’m so excited to try your recipe.

9. Liz says:

10. Liz says:

New follower and fan here, Biren. Popping over from Jill’s blog…and I just love your marvelous mango tarts! What a fabulous way to use up extra yolks…these look delish!

11. Biren, these are beautiful egg tarts. They look so delicious.

12. Biren, you are genius! An East meets West recipe at Jill’s website. I am going there right now to check out how to make these yummy looking tarts! I love these flaky crusts… YUM! Having a cup of tea sounds like a great idea!

13. Just stopped by to tell you that you have some awards waiting for you by my fruit salad http://www.gourmetfashion.net/2011/05/spring-fruit-salad-bowl.html

14. Anncoo says:

Hi Biren, this Mango egg tart look so unique and I am sure everyone loves it very much.
    Sorry for the late in coming here as I was sick last week and have not much blog hopping.
    Have a great Monday :)

15. Jeannie says:

This I must hop over to see, I too have leftover egg yolks waiting to be used!:D The photos are drool worthy!

16. I’ve never seen an egg tart with mango before! Very original and looks like a perfect breakfast.

17. I have never had a mango egg tart!! Those look divine!

18. Jasmine says:

this is so special! (: and it look delicious! (:

Looks interesting to have mango in the egg tarts. Fusion cuisine? ;p

20. Chris says:

Very unique mango egg tarts – must be very good. Eaten egg tarts but not mango egg tarts. Well done.

21. Devan says:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Just a question. There is one part of the recipe which mentioned :

(Heat butter in a pan and cook flour).

May i know how long do i have to cook the flour?

thks and regards

Hi Devan, thanks for visiting! It takes only about 2 minutes to cook the flour with butter.

• Devan says:

Hi ,

I tried this recipe and is yummy. I did the normal tart as i dont have digestive biscuit with me. However i dont get those nice yellowish colour tart like yours and i think the coconut milk overpower the mango puree. Mine taste more like “kaya custard”. But never mind about that, over all is delicious. Thanks again.

rgds

Thanks Devan, for taking the time to let me know how it went for you. I am glad you found it delicious. You must have very nice and thick coconut milk where you live (Malaysia?). Over here, I either use carton or canned coconut milk. I prefer the carton but there isn’t much taste to it. There is also thickening agent and so it must be diluted. Perhaps you can use lighter coconut milk or dilute it with water. For the crust, you can use Marie biscuits if you do not have digestive biscuit.

• Devan says:

Hi,

Yes….i m from Malaysia…and i bought fresly squeeze coconut milk…is real thick!!!! Probably that is the reason why i dont get the nice yellowish tart. May be next time i will try using diluted coconut milk.

22. MaryMoh says:

Wow….these looks so pretty and delicious. I have always enjoyed egg tarts but have not tried mango egg tarts. I love mangoes and dI’m sure they are equally delicious. Hope to try one day. Thanks very much for sharing.

1. April 27, 2013

[…] a lovely flavor. Do check out this moist Mango Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and these pretty Mango Egg Tarts. They make delightfully tea time treats for your guests or for your own pleasure. Your family and […]

2. August 20, 2014

[…] sweet rice cake with mango custard topping, sour cream cookies with mangoes and pistachios, mango egg tarts, and cantaloupe and mango sorbet. Mangoes can also be part of a dessert like rojak, or salsa, or […]