Spring Rolls with Sesame Ponzu Vinaigrette (Guest Post)

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

I enjoy an eclectic mix of cuisines and my home cooking consists of dishes from different cultures. Japanese cuisine has joined the mix, with onigiri, oden, sukiyaki, miso soup, ocha-zuke, and soba dishes becoming daily fare at our dinner table. My travels to Japan have helped me better appreciate its culture and food.

Washoku or traditional Japanese cuisine emphasizes the harmony of ingredients, taste, and aesthetics. Many modern Japanese continue that tradition even with new dishes imparting that unique Japanese touch. Nami, the author of Just One Cookbook, writes a wonderful food blog with mostly Japanese cuisine written in English. She hails from Yokohama, Japan and currently lives in the SF Bay Area with her husband and two adorable children. Nami’s passion is cooking and she learnt from her mom at a very young age. She believes that food brings people together and hopes that her cooking creates a cozy home atmosphere for her family and friends. Just One Cookbook is her lifelong project in organizing her collection of family recipes.

Please welcome Nami…

Hello readers of Roti n Rice! I’m usually the one who reads Biren’s delicious posts from top to bottom, but today I am so honored to be here as her guest blogger. Thank you Biren for this amazing opportunity!

I really love what Biren cooks and shares on her blog. She cooks many kinds of Asian food as well as Japanese food. Since I cook mainly Japanese food, I thought a Southeast Asian dish with a Japanese twist might be a good fit here. I hope you will enjoy my recipe today. It’s very simple and easy to cook, and the citrus soy blended with sesame oil is irresistible. Enjoy!

Spring Rolls with Sesame Ponzu Vinaigrette

Serving Size: 2 to 4 servings

Spring Rolls with Sesame Ponzu Vinaigrette

• ½ lb sliced pork belly, cut into 1.5-2 inch pieces
  • 1 Tbsp. Konbucha (preferred, but if not available substitute with salt and pepper)
  • 10 rice papers
  • Dipping Sauce
  • 6 Tbsp. Ponzu
  • 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1 ½ inch Daikon, grated and squeeze the liquid out (should be about 2 Tbsp.)
  • 1 Tbsp. white sesame seeds
  • ½ Tbsp. grated ginger
  • ½ tsp. Konbucha (preferred, but if not available, substitute with salt and pepper)
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • Toppings
  • ½ red leaf lettuce, washed and drained well
  • 10 shiso leaves, washed and dried with paper towel
  • 1 celery stalks, cut into thin strips
  • ½ English cucumber, cut into thin strips (today I used Daikon instead)
  • ½ carrot, cut into thin strips
  • 2 boiled eggs, cut into 8 pieces
  • Shiraga Negi (optional)

1.Cut the sliced pork belly into 1.5-2 inch pieces and vegetables into thin strips.

2. Grate Daikon and ginger. Combine Dipping Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

3. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil on high heat. When oil is hot, add the meat and sprinkle Konbucha. Cook the meat until it becomes crispy. Use paper towel to absorb excess oil and transfer to a plate.

4. Serve all the toppings on plates/bowls.

How to eat:

1. In a large bowl, pour very hot water. Holding the rice paper by the edge, rotate it in hot water 3 times (like a spinning wheel) and put it on a plate. The rice paper will be soft from the hot water.

2. Put the toppings in this order: one piece of red leaf lettuce, one shiso, a few pieces of pork belly, veggies, the egg, and then lastly pour a bit of the sauce on top.

3. Start wrapping all the toppings with the bottom center.

4. Fold the sides and continue rolling the rice paper. The edge will stick together naturally. I’m not very good with wrapping “beautifully” so I need to work on that artistic skills.

Notes

You can also eat without rice paper. Simply use a piece of lettuce as the wrap. Either way, it’s amazingly delicious!

Enjoy!

Many thanks Nami, for taking the time to write this wonderful guest post and sharing your fabulous recipe with us. Spring rolls are perfect for this time of the year and the sesame ponzu vinaigrette is a lovely touch to this refreshing dish.

Please visit Just One Cookbook for more delicious recipes and do say “hi” to Nami for me. Thank you friends!

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. Sanjeeta kk says:

How delicate and lovely the rolls look! Love the veggies in the row.

2. I love Nami – and I’m hungry now. Thanks a lot. HUMPH.

3. Biren, I also love Nami ‘s blog. Nami, great post! You know what, I just had Vietnamese spring rolls for dinner, so coincident huh.

4. Lyndsey says:

This looks great, I like seeing variations on spring rolls. I am going to try this sauce Yummy!! Love her blog too!

5. Adora's Box says:

A lovely mix of Asian ingredients that is so interesting fresh and vibrant. I like the fried pork as it gives a surprise accent to this fresh spring rolls. Lovely photos. Both Biren and Nami has a sense of relaxation and order in their settings and photos.

6. Anncoo says:

Hi Biren,
    I just get to know Nami today. When I met Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover two days ago, she told me how lovely Nami’s blog is and when I visited her site later, I was so attracted by her lovely pictures and great recipes of Japanese food and at the same time Sandra of Sandra’s Easy Cooking also mentioned my blog to Nami and I am really glad when I received nice comments from Nami.
    Thank you Nami :)Thanks for sharing this great guest post with so simple ingredients that I definitely love to try especially with that dipping sauce.

Ann, you met Sonia? How fun! I’m assuming she visited Singapore.

Nami has many delicious Japanese recipes on her blog. :)

7. WOW! These rolls look incredible! Nami you’ve done it again! I remember the first time I made Vietnamese spring rolls myself, my Mother In Law and all the brother in laws laughed their heads off, because it was so big and pathetic looking. I didn’t care, as long as it tastes good, I am happy… Great job!

8. What a lovely guest post Biren! I adore Nami and her cuisine as well as her website! She is the sweetest woman that I have pleasure to know, unfortunately not in person!
    This Spring rolls look very delicious, and packed with nutrition! Wonderful post ladies, I enjoyed reading it, and drooling over pictures!:))))

9. Tiffany says:

Hi Nami!!!!!!! This looks DELISH! I want to DRINK that ponzu! :D

10. Wow, those spring rolls are fantastic. Thank you for sharing them Nami.

Biren, thank you too for sharing a fantastic blogger with us.

11. sweetlife says:

Welcome Nami!! Nice to meet you and thanks for sharing your spring rolls. A burst of color and a wonderful dipping sauce, yum!!

sweetlife

12. Biren, thank you so much for having me on your blog! I can’t believe my recipe is on Roti n Rice! Such an honor and milestone for my blog and I can’t thank you enough Biren. :-)

Thanks everyone for your very nice feedback. I’m happy you like the spring rolls. :-)

13. The filling sounds so delicious and the sesame ponzu vinaigrette is a perfect accompaniment!

14. The ponzu sauce sounds lovely! Great idea serving with spring rolls, delicious!

15. Parsley Sage says:

Fantastic guest post! Great to see two awesome bloggers working together :) Love this spring roll…scandalicious!

16. Gourmantine says:

Lovely post ladies! The spring rolls look absolutely delightful :)

17. Hi Biren, this looks amazingly healthy and delicious! Nami was right about a beautiful blog that you have! I’m eyeing that mee suah soup too coz that’s one of my fave! :) :)

18. Liz says:

Biren, how fun to find one of my favorite bloggers here! And with such a delicious recipe!

Nami, everything you make is SO beautiful…I can’t help but want to dive in and have some. Lovely guest post!

19. beautiful guest post

20. Hi Nami, what a beautiful guest post…just love your step by step!
    Beautiful recipe :)

21. love2cook says:

WOW, these look so good dear! So comforting..;)

Excellent guest post and a big HI to Nami!

22. My goodness… your photos… I didn’t want them to stop! Gorgeous!

23. What an excellent choice to have Nami as your guest blogger, Biren! Her passion for cooking is just so amazing! Same with yours! :)

24. Sonia says:

Dear this is a very well made post with beautiful pictures. Its always fun to see your recipes. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day !!!

25. Nami has a star quality about her, yet she’s very likable and her dishes are all delicious. I’m a great fan of Nami and it’s good to see her guest posting here for you, Biren!

26. Jill Colonna says:

I am so thrilled to see you both together here! I love both of your blogs and gorgeous recipes! Biren, well done on bringing Nami to your site, adding the Japanese touch. Nami, congratulations on yet another fantastic and inspiring dish. I love the step-by-step and so I’m so compelled to try this. Adore ponzu and must try it with the sesame! You’re both amazing.

27. Great guest post by Nami! Love these spring rolls!

28. What a wonderful guest post. I always love visiting both your blogs and these spring rolls don’t disappoint! Love the fresh colors and flavors and I am dying to try that ponzu vinaigrette. Yum.

29. Christine says:

Great post! Nice photos. Congrats on your award.

30. Shirley Laxaroo says:

Thank you both Linda & Nami for the wonderful recipies.
    Love the great pictures as well.