Wonton Bento

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Wontons are a small Chinese dumplings with a thin dough wrapper and a meaty filling. They are commonly boiled and served in soup or sometimes deep fried. The soup version makes an elegant starter while the deep fried version is popular as finger food. They come in various shapes, the most common being the globular wonton which looks like a drawstring purse.

Deep fried wontons also make a lovely addition to the bento box. I woke up early this morning to prepare some rice cakes and wontons for Ro-Ri San’s bento. I left the minced meat to marinate overnight in the fridge but did the wrapping this morning. It did not take long as I only made a few for his bento. For ease of packing, I shaped the wontons into flat parcels with a triangular flap at the back.

Wontons are very popular at our home and I have made this many times. The recipe can be found here using the drawstring purse method. The steps below are the ones I used this morning.

Deep fry the wontons a few at a time until golden brown.

This is a smaller bento for a light lunch. I added a packet of instant miso for a hot bowl of miso soup at the office.

Included in the bento are slices of peaches, radishes, and takuan (daikon pickle). The rice cakes are flavored with seto fumi furikake.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. PolaM says:

This bento looks great! I am not well versed in the art of bento, but I admire a lot the ones who are!

2. santosh says:

it is gr8 iit is like samosa we make a indian dish

3. Anncoo says:

Biren, finally I can see your bento up on your page. A very nice and simple bento that I would love to try. Thanks for your inspiration :)

Thanks Ann! It is very hectic in the morning to make the bento and take pictures at the same time. Most days I do not take pictures but I woke up extra early yesterday morning so that I can quickly take these pictures. They are a little plain but I was rushing. Hopefully I can wake up early and take pictures of future bentos. ;)

4. I like how you folded the wontons…perfect for a bento. I love how good your bentos look. My daughter would love to eat this one up. I have many wontons and dumpling in the freezer…a recipe usually makes so many so I freeze the extra. Pull them out for soup or pot -stickers. :D We love them in our house too.

Thanks Lyndsey! I had to use this method to make the wontons more compact for packing. It owrked out nicely. :) Wonderful idea to freeze left-over uncooked wontons. I never get to do that as my boys will eat everything I prepare and more. :)

5. You make me feel so bad the way I pack Dudette’s lunches! they look NOTHING like this.

The wontons look yummy. I need to head over to the link and see the recipe now though. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation.

Aww Christiane…not all the lunches I pack make it here, if it makes you feel better. ;)

Wontons are really simple to make and everyone seems to like it.

6. Lovely bentos Biren! At the begining of the year I was convinced I could do a bento diet and it would force portion control for myself. LOL that was short lived. I would go for seconds on this bento you created too!

Yes, the best part about packing a bento is portion control, unless of course, you pack an extra large bento. Definitely no seconds. :)

7. Kay Ecker says:

Those wontons look so delicious! I love the bento box with the chopsticks in the top :)

I bought that bento box in Daiso, Yokohama. Each time I go to Japan, I go crazy with the bento stuff and kitchen ware. :)

8. I love wontons and I love your slim bento box too :)!!

I love eating the fried version, just that I don’t deep-fry at home.

10. This bento looks great! I love wontons!

11. pachecopatty says:

Hi Biren, would you pack a lunch for me??? I love wontons too;-)

Most definitely Patty! Bentos are fun to pack and once you have your assembly line set up, it is pretty fast. :)

12. Amelia says:

Nice crispy wonton and the bento looks great.

13. Parsley Sage says:

Awesome bento. Love the wontons! Can you pack my work lunch too? ;)

14. These are super adorable – and fried wontons? Deserves a corner on its own.

15. Lyn says:

Hi Biren! Well done on your bento and I love the way your fold your wontons! Great for bentos and I like your bento box! :D
    Makes me crave for them now! LOL

Ahhh…another bento fan. :) I know there are many people out there who adore bentos. Packing lunch to work or school is the way to go.

I had to make the wontons more compact so that it will fit into the bento box. Glad you like it.

• Lyn says:

Actually I started my blog because of those bentos I made for my girls initially. As I’m not doing it everyday, so I posted some of my passed down recipes from my parents, mom-in-law + other sources, and also a little about my family. I can consider this as part of my girls’ growing up memorable book+photos+stories+etc… It always feels gd & nostalgia to read & think back of the wonderful memories :)

16. Biren, I admire people like you who spend time in the morning (or previous night) to make delicious and nutritious bento for loved ones. I really do. Your wontons look yummy. My son loves crunchy texture! I like how you made Onigiri, too.

I don’t always to that as it depends on what I am packing. I do cut all the fruits in the morning as they are better that way. Wontons have to be prepared in the morning or they will not taste good. My boys love the crunchy texture too. Boiled wontons in soup are nice too with its smooth texture. I use molds to make the onigiri. I have all kinds of shapes and sizes of molds. :)

17. sweetlife says:

Great bento box. I really need to try this for my girls I think they would really enjoy them. Love the wontons. My daughter makes them in our house and she always tries to suprise us with new filling.

sweetlife

18. sweetlife says:

Love the bento. wontons are always welcomed in my home, hey look yummy! thanks for the tips!

sweetlife

19. charishma says:

mind blowing pictures

20. Your bento boxes are so pretty – they make my mouth water. Great pictures showing how to make these wontons is very helpful. I’d love this meal for lunch any day!

21. Victoria says:

You’re such a good wife!! I love these bento boxes!! Wontons are great whether they are fried or in soup. I recently got a great Asian Dumplings cookbook with recipes for making the skins from scratch and I’m planning to tackle that at some point. Should definitely be a fun experience :)

22. Reeni says:

How sweet you are to get up earlier and make this wonderful lunch! Wontons are one of my favorites – it’s been too long since I made them. Your bento is like a work of delicious art!

23. Yummy! I love the way you’ve cut the radishes, and wontons are the best too! I don’t normally have them deep friend, but I think that’s a better idea when you’re going to put them in a bento :)

24. JC says:

Oh, lovely bento!! I am in the midst of learning to make bento. Glad to find your blog.

Just bought some cute onigiri mold. I made some for my little nieces and nephews last Sun. Planning to improve my skill so that I can make bentos for all 7 of them for a picnic outing during the year end school break.

Hi JC, thanks for visiting and commenting! Bento making is fun. I have been packing lunches for many years now but not all are featured here as it is hard to take pictures in the mornings when hubby and boys are rushing off to work and school. I will try to post more bentos in the future. How fun to make bentos for a picnic. I am sure your nieces and nephews will be delighted. :)

25. I want you to make lunch for me :) I love fried wonton but have them stuffed with a cheese mixture…
    These are some beautiful bento lunches!

26. Manja says:

Your bentos are beautiful. wow i getting hungry.
    i like your blog, thank you for these good pictures *hungry*