Rice cakes and patties are family favorites. They are so versatile and can be eaten hot or cold, at home or on the go. We enjoy them as snacks, appetizers, and entrees. Patties are also good as finger food. They vanish quickly at potlucks and social gatherings.
I am always on the lookout for ideas on how to flavor these little parcels of food. When I spied this recipe on my blogging buddy’s cookbook, which I have a signed copy, I had to give it a try. My talented buddy, Denise, the author of Quickies: Morning, Noon and Night also writes two food blogs, Quickies on the Dinner Table and Bread Expectations. She has been under the radar for a while working on some personal projects but is back with new posts on each of her blogs…YAY! Please do check out her blogs for delicious recipes and stunning photography. Welcome back, Denise!
I made these Pan Fried Salmon Rice Cakes two days in a row. I adapted the recipe and the first time I did not mash the rice sufficiently and also added a little too much salmon in the mix. While I could form the patties, it fell apart easily. They were still very delicious. You can see a picture of it here at my Facebook Fan Page. While there, please “like” my page.
Not satisfied, I tried it again, carefully reading the ingredient proportions and instructions. I reduced the amount of fish I used the first time by half and gave the rice a good mashing. It was a success! They came out beautifully and to quote Denise, they were “wantonly good”!
Before we go to the recipe, I have an announcement to make. If you have tried any of the recipes here and would like to share a picture of it with my readers, please send me your picture so that I can upload it to the newly created photo album, Foodie Clicks on my Facebook Fan Page. Do not be shy, we would love to see your creations. Thank you!
I used rice cereals instead of breadcrumbs so that the rice cakes remain gluten-free. Please use bread crumbs if you prefer.
- 2 cups (60g) rice cereals
- 8 oz (225g) salmon, skin removed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups cooked short grain rice
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoon canola oil
- Place rice cereals in food processor and pulse till fine. Remove and set aside.
- Bring a cup of water to boil in a shallow pan. Place salmon in the pan with lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and allow salmon to cook for 5 minutes. Remove, flake, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, dill weed, lemon pepper, and salt. Mix and mash well with a potato masher. Stir in flaked salmon until combined.
- Shape into 12 thick patties about 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick pan. Dip rice cakes into egg and roll in rice cereals.
- Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Do not over crowd pan. Fry in 2 batches.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
I like to eat my Pan Fried Salmon Rice Cakes with a cup of genmaicha (green tea with roasted brown rice).
Denise eats her rice cakes dipped in wasabi and drinks green tea.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!