Rose Berry Agar-agar and Happy 4th!

Summer came just in time for the 4th of July holiday. We are getting a stretch of sunny days this weekend and everyone is out and about. There is laughter in the air and aroma of barbecue in the neighborhood. These are the summer days we have been waiting for all year.

To counterpoint the grilled meats, I made some rose flavored berry agar-agar. The colors of the berries are perfect for the holiday. These are light, mildly sweet, and refreshing. They are great with the lemonade sold by the kids in the neighborhood. :)

For a pie recipe, please check out my post As American as Apple Pie.

Rose Berry Agar-agar

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 12 pieces agar-agar
  • 1½ tbsp (10g) agar-agar powder
  • ½ cup (110g) sugar
  • ½ tsp rose essence
  • 3 cups (720ml) water
  • 6 oz (170g) raspberries, rinsed and drained
  • ¾ cup blueberries, rinsed and drained
  1. Place 12 2-inch silicone cups on a tray. Put 2 raspberries and 5 blueberries in each cup. Set aside.
  2. Bring water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add sugar and agar-agar, stirring constantly until sugar and agar-agar dissolve, about 5 minutes. Stir in rose essence. Turn off heat. Fill moulds about ¾ full with agar-agar mixture. Allow agar-agar to set in the refrigerator, at least 30 minutes. Unmold and serve cold.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! 8)

Comments

1. says

Hi Biren, Happy 4th July! The rose berry agar agar looks very pretty and the color matches the picture background. Nice clicks :)

2. Jenny Ooi says

Looks esthetically pleasing and I know, they are refreshing, healthy, and my taste buds are agreeing with me RIGHT NOW! Happy July 4th!

3. says

I have almost forgotten about all the political holidays in the US, I sure do miss home in NYC, sliders, and sides, nommers. I eat a like of agar in Japan, I quite like its versatile use.

• Biren says

It is hard when you are away from the culture. I am sure your family will feed you with all the popular foods here when you visit. :)

4. says

What a beautiful dessert, Biren! Those whole berries inside are lovely. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Independence Day!

5. says

Happy 4th of July to you…What a beautiful looking dessert…those whole berries in this transparent jelly just looks very patriotic…awesome..

6. says

I made marshmallows with gelatin recently and the gelatin really grossed me out to no end. I think i need to experiment with agar agar more…these look so tasty!

7. says

I hope you had a great 4th of July weekend Biren! Your dessert is sooooo pretty!! I like simple dessert like this after a heavy party meal. What a perfect recipe – going to keep this for next year! 😉

8. says

Not only would my kiddies live these, but I know I would too. Agar agar is always so much fun to eat, especially when there are little surprises in them. The colours were perfect for the 4th of July.

Trackbacks

1. […] tell you that Roti n Rice has been selected as the Foodista Food Blog of the Day for July 11, 2011. Rose Berry Agar-agar will be featured on the Foodista homepage for 24 hours. Please do check it out. Thank you all for […]