Rose Berry Agar-agar and Happy 4th!

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Summer came just in time for the 4th of July holiday. We are getting a stretch of sunny days this weekend and everyone is out and about. There is laughter in the air and aroma of barbecue in the neighborhood. These are the summer days we have been waiting for all year.

To counterpoint the grilled meats, I made some rose flavored berry agar-agar. The colors of the berries are perfect for the holiday. These are light, mildly sweet, and refreshing. They are great with the lemonade sold by the kids in the neighborhood. :)

For a pie recipe, please check out my post As American as Apple Pie.

Rose Berry Agar-agar

Yield: 12 pieces agar-agar

Rose Berry Agar-agar

• 1½ tbsp (10g) agar-agar powder
  • ½ cup (110g) sugar
  • ½ tsp rose essence
  • 3 cups (720ml) water
  • 6 oz (170g) raspberries, rinsed and drained
  • ¾ cup blueberries, rinsed and drained

Place 12 2-inch silicone cups on a tray. Put 2 raspberries and 5 blueberries in each cup. Set aside.

Bring water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add sugar and agar-agar, stirring constantly until sugar and agar-agar dissolve, about 5 minutes. Stir in rose essence. Turn off heat. Fill moulds about ¾ full with agar-agar mixture. Allow agar-agar to set in the refrigerator, at least 30 minutes. Unmold and serve cold.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! 8)

1. Anncoo says:

Hi Biren, Happy 4th July! The rose berry agar agar looks very pretty and the color matches the picture background. Nice clicks :)

2. These agar agar are too pretty to eat…! Lovely summer dessert, Biren!

3. Jenny Ooi says:

Looks esthetically pleasing and I know, they are refreshing, healthy, and my taste buds are agreeing with me RIGHT NOW! Happy July 4th!

4. Gertrude says:

Happy 4th of July Biren. It is so hot and humid here and I wish I can some of these agar-agar :)

5. These look perfect for the 4th of July! So pretty, and I’ll bet they taste just as good with the rose flavor with the berries. Have a wonderful fourth!

6. Sonia says:

Happy Holiday Biren! love the simple colour combination of this agar-agar and look cool…

7. elle marie says:

I have almost forgotten about all the political holidays in the US, I sure do miss home in NYC, sliders, and sides, nommers. I eat a like of agar in Japan, I quite like its versatile use.

It is hard when you are away from the culture. I am sure your family will feed you with all the popular foods here when you visit. :)

8. How cute, Biren! They look adorable… And very appropriate for the holidays! I hope you are having a great weekend!

9. Hyosun Ro says:

They are so pretty and very American! Happy holiday!

10. prathibha says:

Wow..they look gorgeous..:)

11. Chris says:

These agar-agar are so lovely.

12. Jeannie says:

That looks delicious and so beautiful!

13. Blackswan says:

Love all the colours, Biren! I’m sure they taste good too :)

14. kristy says:

Happy 4th of July! What nice match of the fruits! Enjoy your day!
    Blessings, Kristy

15. Faith says:

What a beautiful dessert, Biren! Those whole berries inside are lovely. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Independence Day!

16. Mina Joshi says:

Looks great. Happy 4th July to you.

17. Muskaan says:

Happy 4th of July to you…What a beautiful looking dessert…those whole berries in this transparent jelly just looks very patriotic…awesome..

18. Hi Biren,
    Your dessert is so festive. Perfect for 4th of July.
    Hope you’re having a wonderful day!

19. Lyn says:

Happy 4th July Biren! Hope you had a wonderful day! :D
    These agar-agar are suiting the holiday so well! ^.^

20. Parsley Sage says:

So very cool! Guess I’ve never seen agar-agar before. It looks delicious and very fun :)

21. Happy Fourth July Biren! Hope you and your family have a really great day :) This is just perfect – such pretty colours, so very refreshing and a delicious, guilt free indulgence!

22. delicious looking dessert Biren this is wonderfully done
    happy 4th of July

23. Joanne says:

I made marshmallows with gelatin recently and the gelatin really grossed me out to no end. I think i need to experiment with agar agar more…these look so tasty!

24. LIlly says:

I love the way the berries show through the agar agar.

25. Adora's Box says:

What a pretty and refreshing dessert! Just the perfect ending for barbecues.

26. I hope you had a great 4th of July weekend Biren! Your dessert is sooooo pretty!! I like simple dessert like this after a heavy party meal. What a perfect recipe – going to keep this for next year! ;-)

27. So festive and pretty! Awesome job biren!

28. purabi naha says:

These colourful pieces of yumminess look perfect! There is no question on this. Shall come back again very soon!

29. Hope you had a wonderful & fun 4th of July, Biren!
    Your Rose Berry Agar-agar dessert looks so good and delightful!

30. LeQuan says:

Not only would my kiddies live these, but I know I would too. Agar agar is always so much fun to eat, especially when there are little surprises in them. The colours were perfect for the 4th of July.

31. Cheah says:

These are just loverly, such matching colours. These berries will cost us a bomb here, so envious of you!

1. July 11, 2011

[…] tell you that Roti n Rice has been selected as the Foodista Food Blog of the Day for July 11, 2011. Rose Berry Agar-agar will be featured on the Foodista homepage for 24 hours. Please do check it out. Thank you all for […]