Summer came just in time for the 4th of July holiday. We are getting a stretch of sunny days this weekend and everyone is out and about. There is laughter in the air and aroma of barbecue in the neighborhood. These are the summer days we have been waiting for all year.
To counterpoint the grilled meats, I made some rose flavored berry agar-agar. The colors of the berries are perfect for the holiday. These are light, mildly sweet, and refreshing. They are great with the lemonade sold by the kids in the neighborhood.
For a pie recipe, please check out my post As American as Apple Pie.
- 1½ tbsp (10g) agar-agar powder
- ½ cup (110g) sugar
- ½ tsp rose essence
- 3 cups (720ml) water
- 6 oz (170g) raspberries, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup blueberries, rinsed and drained
- Place 12 2-inch silicone cups on a tray. Put 2 raspberries and 5 blueberries in each cup. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add sugar and agar-agar, stirring constantly until sugar and agar-agar dissolve, about 5 minutes. Stir in rose essence. Turn off heat. Fill moulds about ¾ full with agar-agar mixture. Allow agar-agar to set in the refrigerator, at least 30 minutes. Unmold and serve cold.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! 8)