Matcha Ice Cream

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Matcha Ice Cream

During the warm summer months, ice cream is the most wanted dessert at our house. I always have a couple of store-bought tubs in the freezer. The flavors are limited though as I only buy egg-free ice cream because a member of the family has egg allergy. That changed when Ro-Ri San presented me with an ice cream maker late last summer. I have been having fun coming up with all sorts of combinations like Red Bean and Corn Ice Cream and Ginger Tea Ice Cream.

The Japanese green tea or matcha ice cream is relatively new to me. Growing up, we had red bean ice cream, corn ice cream, durian ice cream, and yam ice cream but not matcha ice cream. I only discovered this delicious ice cream as an adult and absolutely fell in love with it! Out here, you can only get matcha ice cream at a Japanese restaurant but with an ice cream maker you can make as much of it as your heart desires. :)

One big plus here in the Midwest is that we are blessed with very rich and creamy milk that makes excellent ice cream. Because of that the ice cream is not icy and does not need much thawing. Here’s to the best of summer!

Matcha Ice Cream

Now let us make the ice cream together…

Matcha Ice Cream

Yield: 1.5 quarts

Matcha Ice Cream

• 1½ cup (360ml) whole milk or half-and-half
  • 2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
  • ¾ cups (165g) sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp matcha**

Freeze ice cream bowl for 24 hours.

Combine whole milk or half-and-half, sugar, and salt in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Do not let milk come to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves. Turn off heat.

Transfer half cup warm milk to a small container. Add matcha and whisk vigorously till incorporated. Pour into warm milk. Also pour in cream and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Place frozen bowl on base of ice cream maker and turn it on. Give chilled mixture a good stir before pouring into frozen bowl. Churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.

If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours.

Notes

**For a stronger matcha flavor, use up to 3 tablespoons of matcha.

It is absolutely delicious served immediately. If a firmer consistency is preferred, transfer ice cream to a container and freeze for a couple of hours before serving.

This wonderful ice cream can be made more special topped with some anko (sweet azuki bean paste) and bits of yōkan (agar-agar). I had this delightful combination when vacationing in Nara, Japan some years back. For a simple yōkan, please check out my Yōkan Jelly Dessert.

Matcha Ice Cream

Biren

1. Lisa H. says:

This looks so yummy… I am trying this ice cream when our summer is here.
    I usually buy the japanese ready mix matcha icecream powder..

2. Amelia says:

Ice cream…… so refreshing and cooling for the hot and humid weather here. Beautiful bowl and spoon especially the green color very matching for your matcha ice cream.

3. Oh Biren this looks so creamy and delish. I still havent bought a new ice cream maker. :( I better get on it so I can make something as delicious as this!

4. MaryMoh says:

Mmmm…drooling over this. This is the time for ice cream while the weather is a little warm.

5. Kelly says:

This looks amazing and I have NO idea how I haven’t been a follower until now!! xoxo

6. anncoo says:

I love matcha and this ice cream looks cool! I’m going to take out my ice cream maker again :)

7. Victoria says:

I loooooooove green tea ice cream! I used to also get green tea ice blended drinks (kind of like a Coolata from Dunkin Donuts) from a place called the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, a chain on the West coast. It’s such a wonderful flavor that pairs so well with a cold creamy base. I have not been using my ice cream maker much this summer. I think it’s my way of trying to cut calories, and yet I make up for those calories in other places, lol. Hope you’re doing well, Biren!

8. Jeannie says:

I love this macha ice cream! It;s delicious and healthy Wish I could taste some now!

9. Cheah says:

Wow, this is what we need in this crazy weather….. slurppp!

10. Adora's Box says:

Those are just so pretty! I so love ice creams with Asian flavours. I guess that’s what my taste buds are used to. This is just the right refreshment for summer.

11. beautiful looking ice cream looks delicious

12. Haruna says:

Wonderful matcha ice-cream….perfect antidote for hot, humid summer days.

13. I’m thinking ahead. Thanks to your facebook post last week, I already bought Matcha powder first. =) Hopefully I can make this ice cream this summer. It’s been pretty cold for ice cream…. can you imagine the rest of US is so hot but not here… I’m impressed you have 茶道set at home!

14. Parsley Sage says:

Oooh! I love green tea ice cream! We’ve got a restaurant here that serves it and I always leave room for it after loading up on sushi :)

15. Hyosun Ro says:

Green tea ice cream is a definite favorite of mine, and I make it once in a while. But, your eggless version sounds really good. I should try it. Topping it off with some anko is a great idea. Thanks!

16. Julie M. says:

We’re huge into ice cream in this house as well. This version looks delicious! I can see how creamy it is in your pictures. Yum!

17. I’ve never tried green tea ice cream, but I have had a beautiful green tea parfait, and I loved it… I think I would love this too! When I lived in Singapore I tried all those ice creams you mentioned, except the yam ice cream. Loved them all! I think I should try this recipe… Thanks for sharing! :)

18. Yikes!!! Biren! Hubby is reading over my shoulder and giving me the evil eye because he bought me an ice cream maker almost 2 years ago and I’ve made ice cream with it ……… TWICE!!!!! ROFL I am terrible!! Hubby LOVES matcha ice cream and yours looks lovely – the pale green is so natural and soothing to the eye :)

19. Janine says:

wow you make me hungry for matcha ice cream! i love the use of all the japanese cutlery and mats in the first photo. i’m thinking this ice cream with a topping of adzuki beans would be perfect!

20. Biren I just love the color of this ice cream. Lucky you to have an ice cream maker. You can make your own and know exactly the ingredients it’s made with. Fresh and refreshing!

21. I agree, summer and ice cream go together. Love this recipe!

22. Lyndsey says:

It looks so good! That’s the best thing about making your own ice cream besides just using good ingredients and knowing whats going into it…it’s making all those unique wonderful flavors that we can’t get everywhere.

23. Lovely ice cream with matcha!

24. What a gorgeous ice cream! I have never tried matcha ice cream but it sounds wonderful :)

25. Durian ice cream?! My in-laws love that stuff, but I never saw it in an ice cream before! Cool!

I like matcha ice cream, especially from this place called Daves in Hawaii. I would love to try to make this at home. Thanks!

It has been a while since I ate durian ice cream. I think there is very little durian in the ice cream but the fragrance is definitely there. I like matcha ice cream and it is nice to be able to make it at home as it is not always found outside. :)

26. Jamie says:

Looks delicious and very refreshing! I love Matcha ice cream! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :)

27. Raymond says:

Hello! I really want to try out this recipe but it requests for an ice-cream maker which I don’t have. Do you know any other methods? Thank you!!

I have tried making ice cream by beating and freezing it repeatedly but unfortunately have not been satisfied with the outcome.

1. September 12, 2011