The White Cake Album, Liverpool

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Still “following the sun” in England, I had a “ticket to ride” to Liverpool. The town by the Mersey, home of THE BEATLES, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! “Money may not buy me love” but it sure got me the Magical Mystery Tour. And, no, they don’t have “eight days a week” in Liverpool but seven is plenty enough.

My train from Reading took me to the Lime Street station in Liverpool. I took a connecting train to the James Street station, a 5 minutes walk from Albert Dock. As soon as I got out of the station I was greeted by the English weather. It was raining “here, there, and everywhere”. I had forgotten to pack an umbrella and I was drenched by the time I got to the hotel. As soon as I got changed, I “felt fine”. “Here comes the sun” and “I am as happy as can be”. I got acquainted with my surroundings, Albert Dock, Salt Dock, the Mersey River and walk along the Mersey to Pier Head.

Next, I headed for The Beatles Story. The ticket was good for two days and included The Beatles Hidden Gallery, John Lennon’s White Feather Exhibition, and Fab4D at Pier Head.

If you are into Beatlemania, then this is El Dorado!

We are reminded that the British Invasion of the 60’s was a return favor by the Liverpool lads after years of absorbing American rock and roll culture. The Beatles grew up wanting to be Elvis and in turn, a whole generation in America wanted to emulate The Beatles.

The next day I took a “day tripper”, a “one way ticket yeah, it took me so long” on the Magical Mystery Tour bus to the Cavern Club.

I suspect the tour route meandering through the suburbs of Liverpool must have closely followed John Lennon’s path playing truant from school. We covered all four Beatles childhood homes. Ringo’s home is abandoned and slated for demolition but the people of Liverpool are saying “wait”, “we can work it out”! George Harrison’s is a well kept private home. Paul McCartney’s and John Lennon’s homes are national trust sites.

The “long and winding road” took us to one of rock and roll’s most historic sites, the church yard John Lennon first met Paul McCartney. Then we swung by “Strawberry Fields (forever)” which is the gate of an orphanage, “Penny Lane” with its famous barber shop, and finally at that famous grotto in Beatledom called The Cavern Club.

“Something” in the way the Cavern Club feels speaks of the urgent brilliance of the early Beatles performances there. I just had to be seen “standing there” with a pint of the Cavern’s own brew in my hand. One more pint and I would have been “twisting and shouting”! ;)

I had a late lunch just up the street from The Cavern at The William Gladstone. Their summer special was fish and chips with a pint of beer for only GBP4.99! The sweet young lady was very patient with me while I tried to figure out “mooshed p’s” and “ar’den p’s“. After repeating herself several times, I opted for the safe choice of ar’den p’s. Give me ardent over mushed any day. I also requested for a glass of wine instead, which she happily obliged.

Appetite satiated, I went to “please, please me” with some shopping. Downtown Liverpool has a vibrant shopping district. That funny vehicle is the Yellow Duckmarine Tour.

What was I supposed to do when I saw Clarks shoes on sale? “All I’ve got to do” was find my “Old Brown Shoes”. I’ve got the 60’s in my head and so I opted to buy a pink polka dotted umbrella to go.

“Good morning, good morning” to a drizzly day. Not to be deterred, I headed up Pier Head after breakfast with my pink polka dot umbrella. I had to take the Ferry Cross the Mersey popularized by Gerry & the Pacemakers. As though on a queue, the song came through the loud speakers as I boarded.

That’s my pink polka dot umbrella in my backpack to match my t-shirt. Pretty cool eh? 8)

After the ferry ride, I went to visit the brand new Liverpool museum that talked about the history of the place. Yes, Liverpool is not just about the Fab4. It was the major port of embarkation for many English emigrants leaving for America and Australia in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

I explored the public buildings that formed Victorian Liverpool when it was one of the busiest ports in the world. Liverpool ONE is a refreshing urban renewal project in the old city providing state of the art shopping.

That was a wonderful visit and as the Fab4 would put it, “I’ll be back”. :)

Still in my Beatles vein, here is a simple cake using the ever popular British biscuit, McVitie’s Digestives to make my “White Cake Album”. After a taste of it, one might sing “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” and have a “couple of kids running in the yard”!

McVitie's Biscuit Log

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

McVitie's Biscuit Log

• 1 cup (240ml) whipping cream
  • 1 tsp powdered (icing) sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • 12 pieces McVitie’s milk chocolate digestive biscuits

Chill bowl and beaters for at least an hour in the fridge. Line a 9”x6” pan with parchment paper.

Remove bowl and beaters from the fridge and attach beaters to electric mixer. Add cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to chilled bowl. Beat till soft peaks form.

Spread cream over 2 biscuits on the side not covered by chocolate. Attach the side with cream on one biscuit to the chocolate side of the other biscuit. Place them standing on the lined pan. Continue attaching the remaining biscuits to the two biscuits to form a log about 5 inches in length. Spread the remaining cream over the entire log evenly. Place in the freezer overnight.

Thaw in fridge for an hour before serving.

No, I did not meet Paul or Ringo!

For the first part of my travel to England, please check out Coddled Eggs from Merry Olde England.

1. Glad to see you get back in one piece! I must say your posts just keep getting better. And WOW!! You were really here, there and EVERYWHERE in Liverpool, weren’t you?? I really didn’t think you’d be able to cover it all, but, really, I should have known better LOL Oh before I forget, I want to tell you, your cake is lovely! I tried making an oreo log cake once, but compared to yours, mine looked like an old brown shoe :P When it comes to the kitchen, woman, truly, you know what to do ;)

I am glad I visited Liverpool before the riots broke out there. Can’t you see, can’t you see, it was so much fun out there. The Magical Mystery Tour was the highlight of my visit there…give me more, hey, hey, hey, give me more! I think I put in more than ten thousand steps each day…LOL…and at times I’m so tired that it felt like a hard day’s night. :)

I’ve known a secret for a week or two. Closer, let me whisper in your ear… I’ve always had the idea that with McVitie’s we can work it out as it is relative soft. Can you believe I lugged 5 rolls of those biscuits home? Of course I had a little help from my friends. ;)

2. And one last thing, from me to you, and this is no bull – I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! It’s all too much for another Fab Four fan *sigh*

Aww…Denise, if there’s any thing that you want, if there’s anything I can do to help get you there, just call on me… :)

3. rebecca says:

fun cake and love liverpool that tour looks like a hoot (he he I sounded American then!)

4. Blackswan says:

Wow, thks for sharing with us all these lovely shots! Looks like u’d a great vacation. The flowery tee looks so sweet & fits u perfectly well.

The White Cake is so interesting! I’ve never seen it before & it looks like something I can manage. Have a wonderful weekend, Biren!

5. What a fantastic set of photos. Oh, how I miss jolly ol’ England!

Loving this cake, it looks so divine — and after my run this evening I could devour it all.

6. A terrific layered cake ;-))
    I am too jealous of your Liverpool tour. I want to go too!

Thanks Angie! Liverpool is a fun place to visit and it is easy to get around. Most things are within walking distance.

7. Juliana says:

Biren, great pictures…my husband will love to see Liverpool. Love the biscuit log, so easy and so yummie.
    Have a great weekend :-)

8. wok with ray says:

That biscuit looks really good, Biren. When I was growing up I’ve always wanted to be George Harrison, I guess all the boys during my time wanted to be one of them, haha. This is such a good post and it brings back a lot of childhood crazy Beatles memory. Thank you for sharing it, Biren. Have a great weekend!

Yes, I think a lot of guys wanted to be them. They do have a boyish charm about them and their songs are catchy and different for their time. Even today, those songs still sound fantastic!

9. It looks like such fun. I was in Liverpool just once briefly and in December…very cold for me. I wish I could of stayed longer and see more. Well now I don’t have too after your post! You are too cute and clever with all the Beatles’s songs into your lingo! This is such a fun White Cake!

10. Pachecopatty says:

Hi Biren, love this post! I’ve made this cake before-it’s fun to make!

11. anncoo says:

Great pictures! I wish I’m in Liverpool now :)
    Love your layered biscuits and I bet it is very delicious and so good with some English tea.

Thanks Ann! I enjoyed myelf in Loverpool. There was much to see and do. The cake is simple and fun to make. It tasted even better the next following day when the biscuit soften a little more.

12. Christine says:

Great post! Love the photos. Cake looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

13. Biren you keep making me so jealous with all your vacation pics, especially the fish & chips!! Thank you for sharing it all with us. The log cakes looks perfect for my cup of coffee! Or should I say tea?

Thanks Jamie! It was a much needed vacation for me and I had fun putting the pictures together in a post. I like tea but a cup of coffee would be good with it too. :)

14. Lisa H. says:

I have not stepped foot in Liverpool in my years living in the UK… what a shame :(. Your photos makes me yearn to visit the land of the Fab4… :D

15. hi biren.. first time here.
    wow your white cake attracts plus a no need to cook thingy- what can be better for a beginner like me- heaven sent..thanks !

glad i blog walk to your site.. hi, i am Wan, from malaysia, do visit my blog , would love to read a comment from you too. have a nice day..
    i like the beatles song “oh darling” LOL

Hi Wan Maznah, very nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting and do visit again soon.

This is a really easy dessert to put together. I hope you will give it a try.

16. DongXing says:

Hi Biren, Like Lisa H. above, I have never been to Liverpool since I stepped foot in England (shame, I know!). I shall have to ditch my kids to the in-laws for a few days before I can visit with my other half. But I can tell you that had you had time to make this cake at my place, you will definitely earn no. 1 super-auntie spot with my kids….I think I will have to plan this cake one weekend when I have a long run to do – run first and then eat to my heart content!!

Liverpool is fun! You should go away for a weekend. It would be a nice visit for you and hubby. :)

I’ll let you be super-mom this time. A long run before digging in is a good idea because it is hard to stop at just one slice. ;)

17. Thanks for giving a tour in Liverpool! I’ve never been there and this was such a great introduction. My kids are too small to do all the sightseeing but one day… I want to visit!!!! Now the white cake looks so delicious. I couldn’t tell from the first picture that this was made of biscuits. It was a nice treat after the tour. ;-)

18. kristy says:

I guess we have the same taste in shoes. haha…. I super love this kind of shoes. It’s really comfortable and lasting but it’s quite expensive back here. Sounds like you had such great fun along the trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristy

19. Marlene says:

Glad you avoided riots. Now go back and take photos of “rioted” Liverpool! (or maybe dont)

20. What an exciting trip and photos tour! This log looks delightful, not sure I have had anything like it, wonderful :)

1. August 25, 2011

[…] For part 1 and 2 of my travel to England, please check out Coddled Eggs from Merry Olde England and The White cake Album, Liverpool. […]

2. September 29, 2011

[…] Before we move on to the recipe, I would like to share some pictures with you. On my return from Liverpool, my friend DongXing and I spent an entire day in London followed by an excursion out to the city of […]

3. February 2, 2012