Blushing Betty (Peach and Raspberry Betty) and a Winner!

This was a busy summer for me with a flurry of activities. Although I enjoy fall, I am a little sad that the easy summer schedule and warm weather bade farewell two weeks ago. The past few days have been rainy, cold, and dark, marking the beginning of fall. Sweat pants and sweaters days are here to stay. Hopefully we will get some Indian summers before we dive into deep freeze.

As we transition into fall, I find myself craving for baked goods. A simple betty fits the bill as it is quick and easy to prepare. A Betty is a pudding dessert of spiced fruits and buttered breadcrumbs popular during colonial times in America. It was commonly made with apples but today, betties are also made with berries and stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, and plums.

Red colored ingredients added to peaches give it a rosy color and is referred to as a blush. I added some raspberries to the peaches, hence the name Blushing Betty. I used gluten-free rice bread and rice flour but you can always use regular bread and all-purpose flour.

Blushing Betty (Peach and Raspberry Betty)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 6 servings
  • 1 cup (6 oz) raspberry
  • 4 peaches, sliced
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp rice flour
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 4 slices rice bread, cubed
  • ¼ cup (60ml) apple juice
  • ¼ cup choice of fruit and nuts granola
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  1. Grease a 9-inch casserole or pie dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine raspberries, peaches, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and bread. Toss to coat and transfer to casserole. Moisten with apple juice. Sprinkle granola over the top, then drizzle melted butter.
  3. Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden.
  4. Serve warm with ice cream.

And now, for the winner of the 100 5″x7″ postcards from UPrinting

The person was randomly selected by random.org and she is commenter number 6, Juliana! Congratulations Juliana! The good people at UPrinting will be contacting you soon. A big THANK YOU to UPrinting for their generosity!

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. says

Pudding dessert of spiced fruits and buttered breadcrumbs? This is so new to me but sounds and looks very delicious with the combi of cinnamon+nutmeg. ;)
    Ever since I started blogging, I’ve been introduced to so many many yummy new foods and my family loves most of it so far. :D

Have a great weekend! :)

• Biren says

I’ve have also learnt a lot of new dishes since I started blogging. Glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your new “discoveries”. :)

2. says

Biren, I am so much with you. Not accepting Autumn just yet and waiting on that Indian summer – and this weekend not far off in Paris – been absolutely gorgeous. Love the last taste of summer with these peaches and raspberries. One of my favourite combinations but your addition of the rice flour and bread just make it so Roti’n’Rice delicious!

• Biren says

The weekend was a tad chilly but nice. Thinks should be a little warmer mid week. Haha…I love the way you put it…so Roti n Rice! :)

3. says

Biren, this looks perfect for fall, even if it doesn’t feel like it here at 90 degrees today. This looks so good with the raspberries and I would put a nice scoop of ice cream on top! I don’t like all fruit cooked, but peaches are great, also apples and plums.

4. says

I *just* learned the term Betty in Priscilla’s blog today. This looks delicious Biren! You know I’m not good with making dessert (or more like I am too lazy to make dessert) but this gives me a hope! LOL! Thanks for sharing “easy” recipe!!!

5. DongXing says

This is something I would love to eat but sadly I never get a chance to cook any peaches, nectarines or plums in our house as these fruits disappear from the fruit bowl faster than the speed of light! My kids adore stoned fruits as they are and not keen when they are cooked. I would eat yours with a good dollop of warm custard….

Trackbacks