Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Grapes are currently in season and at their best. They are huge, juicy, and very sweet. The prices are also lowest at this time and I usually buy two to three pounds each week. I like to get a mix of green, red, and black grapes. They make wonderful snacks and are great for the bento boxes.

Although we eat a lot of grapes, I have never thought of cooking with them until now. I have seen quite a few recipes but this one combining Italian sausages and grapes over at Pam’s Midwest Kitchen Korner caught my eye. I really like the idea of the balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction sauce over the roasted sausages and grapes.

Pam used a combination of red and green grapes but said that the color and type really did not matter. I used black grapes as it was the only variety I had on hand then. As I did not have enough grapes, I added two Honeycrisp apples. The preparation was a breeze with store bought fully cooked all natural sweet Italian sausages. I also roasted some sweet potato squashes, my favorite squash for the season, in the same oven. Dinner was ready in under 45 minutes. It was delicious! I like the slightly tangy sauce on the sweet fruits and sausages. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

• 8 (about 1½ pounds/675g) sweet Italian sausage, fully cooked
  • 1 lb (450g) seedless grapes
  • 2 apples, cored and sliced ½-inch thick
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 6 tbsp (90ml) balsamic vinegar
  • ½ cup (60ml) dry red wine

Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Melt butter in a large cast iron pan. Add grapes and apples and toss to coat, about 3 to 4 minutes. With thongs, push cooked sausages into the fruits. Place pan in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.

When done, transfer sausages, grapes, and apples with a slotted spoon to a warm serving dish. Place pan on stove over medium heat. Pour in balsamic vinegar and red wine. Stir to scrape up browned bits in pan and cook till sauce is thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.

Pour over sausages, grapes, and apples. Serve immediately.

Definitely with mashed potatoes or roasted squash and a glass of Chianti. Cheers!

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. colourful combination lovely presentationhttp

2. Wow , this look so tempting and interesting ! Must try one day .

3. Pam says:

Biren, your dish looks delicious!!! I have to try it your way with the apples now. Isn’t that sauce the best? Thanks for the nod!

4. PolaM says:

This is beautiful! It almost looks like a cake and I bet it is super tasty! Thank you for sharing!

5. Love this combination with fresh grapes and apples. The whole dish must be very delicious too :)

6. Great recipe, Biren. I could just taste the sweet of the grapes, tartness of the apple and the herbs of the sausage. Wonderful!

7. Haruna says:

Oh, look at that delicious glistening food!

8. Ju;s says:

I looooooove roasted grapes and apples but didn’t ever think of pairing them with sausage. This looks lovely!

9. See, I never would have thought to put the grapes in this sort of dish. Great addition! Thanks!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What’s For Dinner

10. Lyn says:

Lovely combinations of ingredients and seasonings! Sweet, sour and savory=YUMS! ;)
    I shall try this in future! :D

11. I love adding fruits to savory dishes, and grapes are such a unique idea – looks fantastic!

12. Amelia says:

Looks delicious and I like the combo of apples and grapes. yum yum

13. This truly WOWED me!! Love the color and the presentation!

14. I saw Pam’spost too. I still haven’t tried cooking with grapes, but you do make it look tempting. I am not big on cooked fruit with meats, but hey, you never know how good it is unless you try it! Beautiful photos Biren

15. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love that you added grapes! I bet it brought a really nice sweet flavor to the mix…yum!

16. wok with ray says:

I don’t know if I want to eat it or just stare at it, hmm. :) It look beautiful and mouthwatering, Biren. I hope you are having a great week! :)

17. Blackswan says:

Great job, Biren! I would’ve not thought of this combination. Gosh, must’ve been really tasty :)

18. Wow! What a great combination of ingredients! The outcome looks so scrumptious, Biren!

19. Reeni says:

What a unique dish! The combo of flavors sounds outrageously good and I like the idea of roasting grapes. You don’t often see grapes used for savory dishes. Have a great week Biren! xoxo

It looks like dessert pudding/tart with the grapes on top but it being savory…..I just like the idea even better!

21. Jackie says:

Love pairing sweet ingredients in savory dishes. Sounds delicious.

22. DongXing says:

I think I am going to cook this dish this weekend as I am very sure it will be a hit. I have done a pork and apple braise with Dijon mustard and my family loves it very much every time it was served. To use sausages, apples and the balsamic and wine reduction would be better. I look forward to trying this out. Thanks!

23. Sarah says:

What a bizarre combination of ingredients, I would never have come up with such a blend. But it looks sooo good and I’m definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

24. This is a great one Biren. I love the idea of pairing fruits with meat. It helps to cut down the heaviness of a meaty meal.

25. Wow! You have me drooling over this! I’m coming right over! Looks super delicious!! :)

26. Such in interesting, unique, and delicious looking dish, Biren!
    I love Italian sausage, but have never tried it with roasted grapes, and apples. Love the combination of the sweet, tart, and savory! I think it’s a good balance combining it with the fruits, instead of a starch, ie: potatoes. Great job!
    Hugs,

27. Julie M. says:

Now that is my kind of meal. I adore sausage and the ease of the recipe has it already penciled into next week’s rotation. Thanks Biren!

28. What a wonderful Fall dish. I love the balance of flavors.

29. I just recently discovered the black grapes and just love them. I have to say I would never have thought of cooking them either. I usually just eat them, or add them to salads. Great idea!

30. JOY PROWSE says:

I make a similar recipe with slight changes which enhances this recipe…you will be saying, “DELICIOUS!” if you try my suggestions: Ingredients; 1 1/2 lbs Italian mild sausages with 1/2 chopped onion, 4 cups green and red seedless grapes, 1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 apple with skin and seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano. It was marvelous. Do not prick the sausages until after they brown and do not over cook. The grapes should still have a slight crunch!

Joy Prowse

31. Jo says:

Looks delicious. Would love for you to share your pictures with us over at foodepix.com.