Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Grapes are currently in season and at their best. They are huge, juicy, and very sweet. The prices are also lowest at this time and I usually buy two to three pounds each week. I like to get a mix of green, red, and black grapes. They make wonderful snacks and are great for the bento boxes.

Although we eat a lot of grapes, I have never thought of cooking with them until now. I have seen quite a few recipes but this one combining Italian sausages and grapes over at Pam’s Midwest Kitchen Korner caught my eye. I really like the idea of the balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction sauce over the Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples.

Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Pam used a combination of red and green grapes but said that the color and type really did not matter. I used black grapes as it was the only variety I had on hand then. As I did not have enough grapes, I added two Honeycrisp apples. The preparation was a breeze with store bought fully cooked all natural sweet Italian sausages. I also roasted some sweet potato squashes and my favorite squash for the season, in the same oven. Dinner was ready in under 45 minutes. It was delicious! I like the slightly tangy sauce on the sweet fruits and sausages. This Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples recipe is definitely a keeper!

Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 8 (about 1½ pounds/675g) sweet Italian sausage, fully cooked
  • 1 lb (450g) seedless grapes
  • 2 apples, cored and sliced ½-inch thick
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 6 tbsp (90ml) balsamic vinegar
  • ½ cup (60ml) dry red wine
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Melt butter in a large cast iron pan. Add grapes and apples and toss to coat, about 3 to 4 minutes. With thongs, push cooked sausages into the fruits. Place pan in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
  2. When done, transfer sausages, grapes, and apples with a slotted spoon to a warm serving dish. Place pan on stove over medium heat. Pour in balsamic vinegar and red wine. Stir to scrape up browned bits in pan and cook till sauce is thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
  3. Pour over sausages, grapes, and apples. Serve immediately.

Serve this tasty dish with mashed potatoes or roasted squash and a glass of Chianti. Cheers!

Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

Biren, your dish looks delicious!!! I have to try it your way with the apples now. Isn’t that sauce the best? Thanks for the nod!

2. says

What a unique dish! The combo of flavors sounds outrageously good and I like the idea of roasting grapes. You don’t often see grapes used for savory dishes. Have a great week Biren! xoxo

3. DongXing says

I think I am going to cook this dish this weekend as I am very sure it will be a hit. I have done a pork and apple braise with Dijon mustard and my family loves it very much every time it was served. To use sausages, apples and the balsamic and wine reduction would be better. I look forward to trying this out. Thanks!

4. says

What a bizarre combination of ingredients, I would never have come up with such a blend. But it looks sooo good and I’m definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

5. says

Such in interesting, unique, and delicious looking dish, Biren!
    I love Italian sausage, but have never tried it with roasted grapes, and apples. Love the combination of the sweet, tart, and savory! I think it’s a good balance combining it with the fruits, instead of a starch, ie: potatoes. Great job!
    Hugs,

6. says

I just recently discovered the black grapes and just love them. I have to say I would never have thought of cooking them either. I usually just eat them, or add them to salads. Great idea!

7. says

I make a similar recipe with slight changes which enhances this recipe…you will be saying, “DELICIOUS!” if you try my suggestions: Ingredients; 1 1/2 lbs Italian mild sausages with 1/2 chopped onion, 4 cups green and red seedless grapes, 1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 apple with skin and seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano. It was marvelous. Do not prick the sausages until after they brown and do not over cook. The grapes should still have a slight crunch!

Joy Prowse