Squash Galore and a Visit from the Fairy Hobmother

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We had a lovely one. The weather was just gorgeous and the fall colors were at their best. It was great to be outdoors doing a little yard work and cycling. Ro-Ri San and I cycled to the farmer’s market several miles from our home. It was a good workout and we got to buy some fresh vegetables and squashes for dinner.

Before we move on with the rest of the post, I have some exciting news to share. Our lovely weekend was made even more wonderful with a surprise visit from the Fairy Hobmother! I know some of you have heard of this Fairy from Appliances Online, UK who has been visiting blogs, granting wishes, and spreading joy. This generous Fairy left me with an Amazon gift card! I know just the thing to get from Amazon. Be sure to leave a comment on this post as the Fairy Hobmother will be checking back and may just pay you a visit in the near future. :)

As I was saying, we bought some produce home for our dinner that evening. There were heirloom tomatoes, peppers, peaches, and apples but it was all about the squashes this week. We have baskets in the front of our bikes and were able to share out the weight of our bounty between the two of us. We chose sweet potato squash as we have not tried this variety before. These squashes were simply delicious with just a dollop of butter! I split them in half, scooped out the seeds, and roasted them for 35 minutes. Wish we had bought more. This is definitely my favorite for the season!

Another new variety for us was the golden acorn squash, cousin to the regular acorn squash and carnival squash. I will be cooking these soon.

Other fun varieties include the confection squash and…

…a whole lot of other squashes and gourds.

Of course we can’t leave out our all-time favorite pumpkin! These were laid out in neat rows according to size. Don’t you just love the pumpkin patch? I would love to hear about your fun fall activity. Remember to leave a comment as the Fairy Hobmother will be back to grant one of you your wish. :)

1. PolaM says:

Which farmer market is that? It looks much more farm-ery than the ones downtown… And I want to try that sweet potato squash!

This famer’s market is one of my favorites on Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie. I have to drive there today to get more of that sweet potato squash. It would also be delicious stuffed. :)

2. anncoo says:

Time really flies. Is the month of October Halloween again. I remember when I was in Albany many years back during October and saw many huge pumpkins everywhere and I think I’m going to make something with pumpkin this month. Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures Biren :)

3. Ahhh fall is just the best isn’t it?! We’re going to the farmer’s market and pumpkin patch next weekend! I’m so excited!
    Anyway…fantastic photos! What a colorful selection!

Have a fabulous week, Biren!

xoxo,
    Tammy

4. Shiaa says:

That are some incredible pictures. And what amazing market. I am there. And just love the title of the blog – “Roti and Rice”. I am a big Indian bread fan. Keep up the amazing work. A great read.

5. Juliana says:

Wow, so many squashes…love the different colors and shapes…yes…Fall is here!
    Hope you are have a great week and thanks for this nice post Biren :-)

Always love the golden hues of pumpkins, squashes and foliage that Fall brings:) I don’t think I can do as many pumpkin/squash dishes this season cos they are too hard for me to cut and slice through due to my elbow (arm) injury :(

7. Zoe says:

That’s lots of pumpkins! Pumpkin reminds me a lot of Halloween. Oh dear…then Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming.

8. o YEAH!!…pumpkin season! Love all sorts of pumpkins…

9. DongXing says:

Incredible pictures, Biren! I have never seen the sweet potato squash before. Over here in England, there isn’t such a big variety of squashes. There are the occasional small squashes – for me, too small to eat, it’s more of an ornament for table display. Lucky you! We all love squashes – just roasted with a drizzle of olive oil and served a dollop of butter – just delicious.

Thanks DongXing! My first time having sweet potato squash and it was delicious. I need to get more before the end of the season. Will try stuffing it next time. Yes, those tiny squashes are more of an ornament. They do make nice displays. I must get some soon for the Thanksgiving table. :)

10. I’m glad to know that you had a great weekend…and you are so lucky to get a visit from the Fairy Hobmother! My weekend was so tiring…but it was fun.:)
    Love looking at all your photos, Biren! The different kinds and colors of squash are so pleasing to my eyes!

I am very glad the Fairy Hobmother decided to pay me a visit. I have already used my gift card. :)

Glad to hear you had fun despite all the work put into your daughter’s birthday party.

11. Mina Joshi says:

What a wonderful selection you have at the Farmer’s market. Some new varieties for me. Congratulations on getting the Amazon card.
    Hope they fairy hobmother visits me too!!

I really enjoy this farmer’s market. Everything is displayed so nicely and of course I love the fresh prouce. :)

Yes, hopefully the Fairy Hobmother will pay you a visit. :)

12. LIN says:

congrats. picture looks great

13. Such beautiful squash and pumpkins!! I think fall is the thing I miss most about living abroad.

You must time your visit back here during this season. I really enjoy fall. Just wish it can stay around a little longer…

14. AngelaLynn says:

So enjoy your blog and pictures! This time of year is the best to me. Now I have a darling little pumpkin crockpot that is going to be full of pumpkin soup real soon :)

15. Love, love all those squash and pumpkins. Such an amazing farmer’s market, and superb photos!
    Congratulations on your visit from the fairy Hobmother!
    Will have to check her out…she has visited a lot of bloggers, lately:DDD

16. Lyn says:

Congrats on your Amazon gift card by the fairy-hobmother! :D
    WOW!!! Look at all those beautiful squashes! I didn’t know there’re actually so many different kinda squashes around! I only know the most common squash and the Japanese kabocha. hehe :P

17. Look at all of these gorgeous fall squashes…reminds me of the market I went to in Avila Beach, they always had pumpkin picking and a huge variety of fall/winter squash :)

1. October 24, 2011

[…] Last year I discovered the carnival and spaghetti squashes. This time round, I was drawn to the sweet potato squash. I really enjoyed this squash as it has a very moist and sweet flesh with a fine texture. It […]