Cranberry Walnut Rolls

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Cranberry Walnut Rolls

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and your fill of turkey this weekend. There will probably be lots more turkey recipes on the web this week as we try to use up all that good meat. I do have one or two myself but I wanted to start the week with something beautiful and tasty that you can make for the next holiday, coming up real soon.

I was not exactly planning on making these Cranberry Walnut Rolls initially as the health food store I frequent, have them freshly made each day. Suspecting that they may be popular for the Thanksgiving feast, I decided to call ahead to check if they had any at the store. It was a wise move. Sure enough they ran out of them and so I was left with two choices – go out and buy some other rolls or make them at home.

Since I had all the ingredients on hand, I decided to make them at home. As I had my hands full with the preparation of the other dishes, I used my handy-dandy bread machine for the kneading of the dough. I added dried cranberries and chopped walnuts to a basic bridge rolls recipe but omitted the eggs. I am so happy they turned out beautifully. They were very tasty served warm with butter. I will definitely be making these again soon.

Cranberry Walnut Rolls

Cranberry Walnut Rolls

Prep Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes

Yield: 8 rolls

Cranberry Walnut Rolls

• 1 cup (240ml) low fat milk
  • 2¼ cups (340g) white bread flour
  • ¼ cup (55g) butter
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp instant yeast
  • ½ cup (70g) dried cranberries
  • ½ cup (60g) walnuts, chopped
  • 2 tbsp milk for glazing

Pour milk into bread machine pan. Sprinkle flour over milk. Place butter, salt, and sugar in separate corners of bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the middle of flour and add yeast. Snap bread pan into bread machine and close lid. Set bread machine to dough setting. Press the start button. Add cranberries and walnuts 5 minutes before the end of the kneading cycle.

Lightly oil a baking sheet. When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Punch down gently and divide dough into 8 equal sections. Shape each section into rounds. Place onto prepared baking sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place to rise for 1 to 1½ hours minutes or until almost double in size.

Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Brush buns with milk. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve warm with butter.

Cranberry Walnut Rolls

1. You’re reminding me how much I miss making bread and smelling it baking in the oven :) These rolls are beautiful, and sound absolutely scrupmtious – I love cranberries and they sound perfect with walnuts.

I really enjoy making breads, hence the name of my blog. :) I am happy these turned out o well. Hubby has requested I make them again.

2. Biren, your cranberry walnut rolls look so perfect with that golden brown colour. I also want some for my afternoon tea. Anymore left? :)

Thanks Ann! I wish there are some left as they are good with tea. Let me know when you are coming. I’ll make a double batch for you to eat and also take home. :)

3. prathibha says:

love 2 snack on dem..looks delicious

4. Jill Colonna says:

Biren, these rolls of yours look absolutely gorgeous. I can just imagine the smell of them out the oven – love the cranberries and walnuts. So festive and would love to serve these at breakfast – any time!

They are kind of festive, aren’t they? I have heard that the French prefer a sweet breakfast and these will be perfect! I will be making more soon.

5. Jeannie says:

It is indeed very beautiful and bet they taste delicious too!

6. Your walnut rolls looks beautiful! Yes, having these warm with lots of butter would be heavenly! With a cup of warm tea!

7. Guess you don’t have to buy them anymore – these are beautiful!

8. Those rolls look to die for. I love the cranberries in them. Sweet and buttery and nutty with the walnuts. A great combination!

9. Those buns look bakery-perfect!

10. Wow, those are gorgeous. I’m glad that cranberries work for Christmas as well because I want to make these for something special. They’re absolutely gorgeous.

You are very, very wise to call ahead like that.

These are perfect for Christmas! I will definitely be making some for the upcoming holidays. I hope you will give it a try.

11. anh says:

I have not baked bread for such a long time! Your cute buns have inspired me :)

12. vianney says:

These are adorably deilsh!! I have a ton of cranberries left from Tday. thanks for sharing!!

13. Reeni says:

Your beautiful rolls are a sight for sore eyes Biren! They’re gorgeous – love the cranberry/walnut combo!

14. Manju says:

Those buns look so very perfectly baked! I love that flavor combo of walnuts and cranberry!

15. I absolutely love cranberry walnut rolls and these are exquisite – I can’t wait to make these!! Thank you for a wonderful recipe :-)

16. Aw they look so cute. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in New Zealand but I’ll definitely be getting some cranberries on my next visit to the supermarket

17. PolaM says:

I suspect your rolls were better than the store ones! They look really great!

18. Oh I love my bread machines dough cycle too. These look better than the health food store’s I’m sure of it! :) Yum! I’ll bet many have some cranberries to use up too.

The bread machine frees me up to do other things and that is a big PLUS. I love dried cranberries in bread. Will be making more rolls soon.

19. Biren these look delicious. It seems so simple to make and yet the outcome is wonderful and appetizing, I had to stumble it! Thanks for the recipe and for visiting e in facebook.

Thanks Mari! You are a sweetie! ♥ I wish I am a little more proficient in StumbleUpon. Right now, I am still all over the place…really stumbling along. :)

20. Cranberries and walnuts make such a great combo! Delicious looking rolls!

21. Hi Biren-Thanks for stopping by again, your comments are always so appreciated! I am so sorry for neglecting to comment for the last few posts…now, I have to make sure I put your blog back on my blog list, otherwise I forget, if I don’t reply right away!
    What a nice coincidence, we’re both making yeast rolls, mine, a savory, and yours a yummy, perfect cranberry breakfast, and/or all around all-time snack rolls! Yumm!

Love, your recipe, and the way they turned out…my next little project to make, and will link back to you!
    Thanks for sharing…will just scroll down/back to your previous posts, before I forget, again…old age, comes with forgetfulness;LOL
    Hugs,

22. Ruby says:

Oh these sound heavenly Biren. I bet your house smelled amazing too. I want some for breakfast – do you ship overseas? ;-)

Cranberry and walnuts….these rolls are healthy! the tart-sweet cranberries sure complement well with the slight-bitter nutty walnut taste :)

24. Mary says:

These look delicious and they sound wonderful. I love the ingredients you used in these rolls. They are seasonally perfect. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

25. Janine says:

maybe it was good that the store ran out because your rolls look absolutely lovely!

26. This is a nice combo, and sound like a good roll..I also did a lot of bakings with cranberry, will try out this soon.

27. I can see why they would run out of these rolls…what beautiful rolls and perfect for the Season!

28. Rebecca says:

Hi Biren,
    These buns are lovely, are they hard ? I noticed that no egg or oil but with only 55 gm of butter. Very often home made bread are harder than the one sold in bakery or supermarket. I often steam it before I eat them !! As you know Malaysian loves soft bread !! I baked the Apple Honey Challah from other blog, they were lovely. Will try yours when I finish the Challah as I wanted to eat more home baked bread — chemical free and cheaper !!
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.

No, these buns are not hard at all but they do have more chew and texture as compared to the super soft white bread. Actually, I find store bought bread a little too soft (except for tea sandwiches) and so I make most of my bread at home. Homemade breads require very few ingredients and no preservatives and that is a good thing. :) Glad to hear your challah turned out well. My regular breads only uses 2 tablespoons (28g) of butter. Buns and hand shaped loaves usually have more butter in them.