Buta Nabe (Pork Miso Hot Pot)

The temperature dipped to the twenties this past weekend and the snow came sooner than expected. We were out shopping at the mall when the snow started to fall. We quickly made our final purchases and scrambled home. Come Sunday morning, there were three inches of white pristine snow on the ground. We woke up to the sound of the snow plows scrapping the streets in the neighborhood.

With the snow falling outside, it was most comforting to have something warm for dinner. Not in the mood for a whole lot of cooking, I decided on a hot pot using the pre-sliced pork I had in the fridge. All I needed to do was to cook some rice and cut up some vegetables, tofu, and konnyaku. I made a quick and simple broth using instant dashi and miso and dinner was set at the table in under 30 minutes.

Pre-sliced pork and garland chrysanthemum, also known as shungiku (in Japanese) or tang ho (in Fujianese).

Napa cabbage and more garland chrysanthemum.

Tofu and green onions.

Slice konnyaku block cross-wise into ¼” slices. Cut a slit down the center leaving both ends intact. Carefully push the top of the strip through the slit to create a decorative tie.

Carrots, boiled lotus root, and konnyaku.

Buta Nabe (Pork Miso Hot Pot)

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 1 lb (450g) thinly sliced pork
  • 1 cube (14oz/400g) tofu, drained and sliced into 1in x ½in x ½in pieces
  • 1 block (8.8oz/250g) konnyaku, sliced cross-wise into ¼in thick slices
  • 4 oz (110g) boiled lotus root (renkon)
  • 1 small carrot, thinly sliced into rounds
  • 4 napa cabbage leaves, sliced
  • 4 oz (110g) garland chrysanthemum (shungiku/tangho), rinsed and drained
  • 4 green onions, cliced into 2-inch lengths
Broth
  • 6 cups (1.4 liters) water
  • 1½ tsp instant dashi
  • ½ cup (130g) miso
Dipping Sauce
  • Ponzu
  • Goma dare (sesame sauce)
  1. Pour water into an electric fondue pot. Bring it to a boil. Add dashi. Combine 1½ cups (360ml) stock and miso in a bowl. Whisk to dissolve miso. Pour mixture back into fondue pot.
  2. Bring broth to a gentle boil. Add small portions of pork, tofu, renkon, and carrots into broth and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add vegetables and continue to cook for another minute. Dish into individual serving bowls with slotted spoon or small wire strainer. Dip cooked food into sauces and enjoy.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. says

We usually have hot pot during the CNY that my whole family will enjoy the meal together. Your miso hot pot looks so comforting and delicious especially for the cooling weather now in S’pore :)

• Biren says

Tang ho is a more adult kind of vegetable. The boys did not like it as much as they find it a little too herbal. Hubby and I like it though. Yes, we have been having a lot of hot pots lately as it is getting pretty cold. Also it is so easy to prepare. I have another Japanese noodle hot pot coming up soon. :)

2. says

This looks so good, and inviting you can’t imagine! Perfect for company too. You have everything looking beautiful. So you use an electric fondue pot? Where do you get one of those? Will that work for Shabu shabu the Japanese hot pot?

• Biren says

I actually have several different kinds of hot pot but I like this electric one best for Chinese or Japanese hot pot. This is actually a deep skillet with a steaming rack which I absolutely love. I bought it online years ago from QVC. This works for shabu-shabu and also sukiyaki. I do have an easy sukiyaki recipe on this blog. I hope to post more hot pot recipes in the days ahead. :)

• says

I will check out your sukiyaki recipe for sure. Sukiyaki was one of my favorite meals we had as a kid. I have to ask my mom for her recipe too when she comes to visit. Thanks!

3. says

Biren, it all looks gorgeous; I love all the colors and I bet it’s delicious. It’s comforting and healthy too. It’s a dreary day here, cold and huge snow flakes an hour ago. Brrrr!!!

• Biren says

Yes, very much so. It is good to have the food piping hot at the table. Food tends to get cold very fast in the winter.

4. says

Wow Biren, you’ve out done yourself with this delicious looking table of food! All of the ingredients look so yummy!! I could use a big bowl right now! The weather outside is frightful here in Colorado…6 degrees and getting colder. ick!

• Biren says

Thanks Rebecka! The weather here is quite frightful too and hot pots are just the best when it is like that. It makes you feel so warm and cozy inside. :)

5. says

Too early for snow! I’ve been in mood for hot pots too lately. Made Korean seafood hot pot the other day, but this pork and miso combination sounds really good. And I have most of the ingredients, so this one is next!

6. says

What a pantry and refrigerator you must have to have all of these wonderful ingredients available! Sitting down at this table would make me a very happy and warm person. Beautiful meal! I am definitely going to have to make that broth. It sounds so easy and delicious!

7. says

Aha! I know what kinda soup base I want for our next hot pot session at home! We always had the usual sweetcorn+napa cabbage+carrot+onion+pork/chicken bones soup base. Not that it’s not tasty but just wanna try something different! Tks for sharing this, Biren! And you’re making me craving for some hot pots! 😛

Trackbacks