Buta Nabe (Pork Miso Hot Pot)

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

The temperature dipped to the twenties this past weekend and the snow came sooner than expected. We were out shopping at the mall when the snow started to fall. We quickly made our final purchases and scrambled home. Come Sunday morning, there were three inches of white pristine snow on the ground. We woke up to the sound of the snow plows scrapping the streets in the neighborhood.

With the snow falling outside, it was most comforting to have something warm for dinner. Not in the mood for a whole lot of cooking, I decided on a hot pot using the pre-sliced pork I had in the fridge. All I needed to do was to cook some rice and cut up some vegetables, tofu, and konnyaku. I made a quick and simple broth using instant dashi and miso and dinner was set at the table in under 30 minutes.

Pre-sliced pork and garland chrysanthemum, also known as shungiku (in Japanese) or tang ho (in Fujianese).

Napa cabbage and more garland chrysanthemum.

Tofu and green onions.

Slice konnyaku block cross-wise into ¼” slices. Cut a slit down the center leaving both ends intact. Carefully push the top of the strip through the slit to create a decorative tie.

Carrots, boiled lotus root, and konnyaku.

Buta Nabe (Pork Miso Hot Pot)

Buta Nabe (Pork Miso Hot Pot)

• 1 lb (450g) thinly sliced pork
  • 1 cube (14oz/400g) tofu, drained and sliced into 1in x ½in x ½in pieces
  • 1 block (8.8oz/250g) konnyaku, sliced cross-wise into ¼in thick slices
  • 4 oz (110g) boiled lotus root (renkon)
  • 1 small carrot, thinly sliced into rounds
  • 4 napa cabbage leaves, sliced
  • 4 oz (110g) garland chrysanthemum (shungiku/tangho), rinsed and drained
  • 4 green onions, cliced into 2-inch lengths
  • Broth
  • 6 cups (1.4 liters) water
  • 1½ tsp instant dashi
  • ½ cup (130g) miso
  • Dipping Sauce
  • Ponzu
  • Goma dare (sesame sauce)

Pour water into an electric fondue pot. Bring it to a boil. Add dashi. Combine 1½ cups (360ml) stock and miso in a bowl. Whisk to dissolve miso. Pour mixture back into fondue pot.

Bring broth to a gentle boil. Add small portions of pork, tofu, renkon, and carrots into broth and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add vegetables and continue to cook for another minute. Dish into individual serving bowls with slotted spoon or small wire strainer. Dip cooked food into sauces and enjoy.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. We usually have hot pot during the CNY that my whole family will enjoy the meal together. Your miso hot pot looks so comforting and delicious especially for the cooling weather now in S’pore :)

2. Hi Biren – it’s been really wet and chilly lately over here and I just want to dive into that hotpot! I LOVE tang oh when eating steamboat. You are making me miss Japan :(

Tang ho is a more adult kind of vegetable. The boys did not like it as much as they find it a little too herbal. Hubby and I like it though. Yes, we have been having a lot of hot pots lately as it is getting pretty cold. Also it is so easy to prepare. I have another Japanese noodle hot pot coming up soon. :)

3. sounds like a comforting meal on a snowy day. Bet it wormed you up from head to toes.

4. Your miso looks incredible. I love the flavors and I wish I was going to be enjoying it for lunch today!

5. Still no snow here, but getting cold. Hmm. I could never resist a hot pot!

6. Trix says:

I LOVE the idea of such a quick and easy dinner that is also healthy, flavorful, and incredibly soul-satisfying. Yum!

7. This looks so good, and inviting you can’t imagine! Perfect for company too. You have everything looking beautiful. So you use an electric fondue pot? Where do you get one of those? Will that work for Shabu shabu the Japanese hot pot?

I actually have several different kinds of hot pot but I like this electric one best for Chinese or Japanese hot pot. This is actually a deep skillet with a steaming rack which I absolutely love. I bought it online years ago from QVC. This works for shabu-shabu and also sukiyaki. I do have an easy sukiyaki recipe on this blog. I hope to post more hot pot recipes in the days ahead. :)

• Lyndsey says:

I will check out your sukiyaki recipe for sure. Sukiyaki was one of my favorite meals we had as a kid. I have to ask my mom for her recipe too when she comes to visit. Thanks!

8. Biren.. you should have done a 24×24 for this! What a perfect dinner party! Lovely, satisfying and so fun! Well done. Beautiful pictures (of course) and table setting!

9. What a perfect dinner you had! So delicious and comforting! We all love hot pot but haven’t tried doing it at home. I guess it’s about time!

10. Looks like a very flavorful and comforting meal!

11. This reminds me of HOT POT my mom used to prepare for us at home. I am HUNGRY now.

12. Pam says:

Biren, it all looks gorgeous; I love all the colors and I bet it’s delicious. It’s comforting and healthy too. It’s a dreary day here, cold and huge snow flakes an hour ago. Brrrr!!!

13. PolaM says:

I have to make hot pot sometime: it looks like great fun for a dinner with guests!

Surely, this is THE food to have when the temperatures keep falling! But first, I need to buy that electric hot pot!

Yes, very much so. It is good to have the food piping hot at the table. Food tends to get cold very fast in the winter.

15. I love this! Simple, delicious and oh so healthy! :)

16. Wow Biren, you’ve out done yourself with this delicious looking table of food! All of the ingredients look so yummy!! I could use a big bowl right now! The weather outside is frightful here in Colorado…6 degrees and getting colder. ick!

Thanks Rebecka! The weather here is quite frightful too and hot pots are just the best when it is like that. It makes you feel so warm and cozy inside. :)

17. How fun (and delicious) this dinner looks!! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

18. Looks delicious … can I have someone make it for me :)

19. vianney says:

I love hot pots, a perfect comfort meal for chilly days!! thanks for sharing!

20. Hyosun Ro says:

Too early for snow! I’ve been in mood for hot pots too lately. Made Korean seafood hot pot the other day, but this pork and miso combination sounds really good. And I have most of the ingredients, so this one is next!

21. I was waiting this post Biren! It looks so delicious and I love the miso nabe too! If you don’t tell me where you are from, I totally think you are Japanese… didn’t I say that many times before? =)

22. Joanne says:

This weather definitely calls for hot pot! This sounds delicious!

23. mjskit says:

What a pantry and refrigerator you must have to have all of these wonderful ingredients available! Sitting down at this table would make me a very happy and warm person. Beautiful meal! I am definitely going to have to make that broth. It sounds so easy and delicious!

24. Haruna says:

Your post is making me homesick…. :D

25. Cheah says:

This is most comforting for the cold weather. I like to serve this for the CNY reunion dinner too, less cooking!

26. This is very comforting dish! Love hot pot for winter season :)

27. Lyn says:

Aha! I know what kinda soup base I want for our next hot pot session at home! We always had the usual sweetcorn+napa cabbage+carrot+onion+pork/chicken bones soup base. Not that it’s not tasty but just wanna try something different! Tks for sharing this, Biren! And you’re making me craving for some hot pots! :P

28. oooohhh.. this is just perfect for the weather. I got hungry only reading the title – by now I am ravenous :-)

29. This looks incredibly comforting! It was in the 20′s here this morning…but we don’t get snow :( Or maybe a good thing because I would never leave the house :)
    Lovely recipe!

30. mycookinghut says:

Yum! This is just great for winter!

1. February 17, 2012

[...] drop-down menus at the top of the page. Cantonese Style Fried Noodles Miso Pork Ramen with Gyoza Buta Nabe (Pork Miso Hot Pot) Sapporo Style Miso Ramen Minced Beef Fried NoodlesBiren"Bee Ren" is a SAHM. She spends her day [...]