Pomelo is a pale green to yellow colored citrus fruit with a thick rind. It tastes like a mild grapefruit and has a very slight hint of bitterness. Pomelos come in two varieties – a sweet kind with white flesh and a slightly tangy kind with pinkish flesh. The ones we find here has a yellow rind with pinkish flesh. They start appearing in the stores in January and February and are a must have for the Chinese New Year. Their flesh is an essential ingredient in Yee Sang or Raw Fish Salad.
Ever since I started making Yee Sang for the Chinese New Year, pomelo is a must have at our house. I use about a third of that huge citrus fruit for the Yee Sang and just simply eat the rest. This year, I decided to save half the fruit for a salad. This refreshing salad was inspired by both the Yee Sang and Thai Pomelo Salad. The dressing is a simpler version of the Yee Sang dressing while the addition of coconut flakes and peanuts came from the Thai Pomelo Salad.
- ½ small pomelo yielding 1cup (150g) flesh
- ½ cup (10g) cilantro leaves
- ½ cup (20g) large coconut flakes, toasted
- ¼ cup (40g) coarsely chopped toasted peanuts
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Combine pomelo, cilantro, and peanuts in a large bowl. Mix together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour dressing over ingredients in the large bowl. Toss to get everything well mixed. Sprinkle toasted coconut and sesame seeds over salad. Serve immediately.
And now for the giveaway…
Scrapbooking can be a fun and enjoyable hobby and Ro-Ri San and I used to spend weekends after our vacations to preserve all those wonderful memories. We saved all our entrance tickets, brochures, and scraps of information together with photographs to create a story in pictures. In the days before digital photography, we would sort through stacks of pictures just to pick the right one to convey the message. It was a fun but time consuming project. We continued doing that until we switched to digital photography. Life got busy and those digital pictures were just stored in disks. Although they were nice and compact, they were not as much fun to look at as the ones in scrapbooks. Something has to be done about them.
I had heard about digital scrapbooking but have never seen the software. When My Memories contacted me recently to do a review for version 3 of their scrapbooking software, I jumped at the opportunity. Now we can eventually get all those precious digital memories to tell their story. Here is one that I did for my trip to England last summer. The cool thing about this software is that you can share the album by exporting the pages.
I also created a recipe card for today’s recipe. How cool is that!
The software is pretty easy to use and it comes preloaded with templates, background papers, and embellishments. There are additional templates and kits you can buy from their on-line store. They also have a blog where you can access their video tutorials and inspirations. If you would like to purchase the software, please use my code STMMMS9493 to get a $10 discount for the software at My Memories Suite and another $10 discount for use at MyMemories Store.
To get you excited, MyMemories.com has generously offered to giveaway a copy of their My Memories Suite v3 software. This giveaway is opened to all my readers worldwide as the software can be downloaded directly from their website. To enter this giveaway, simply go to MyMemories.com, check out their digital paper pack or layout, and leave a comment here telling me which one is your favorite. For additional entries, please
1. Join me as follower of this blog via Google Connect and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new follower.
2. Become a fan of Roti n Rice Facebook and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new fan. If you are already a fan, please leave me a separate comment stating that.
3. Become a follower of Roti n Rice Twitter and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new follower. If you are already a follower, please leave me a separate comment stating that.
4. Become a follower of MyMemories Blog and leave me a separate comment here stating you are now a new follower.
5. Become a fan of MyMemories Facebook and leave me a separate comment here stating you are now a new fan.
6. Become a follower of MyMemories Suite Twitter and leave me a separate comment here stating you are now a new follower.
7. Post about this giveaway on Facebook and/or tweet about it and leave me a separate comment here stating you have posted or tweeted about this giveaway.
This giveaway will be opened till 9:00pm Central time Wednesday, February 8th, 2012. I will randomly select and announce the winner on Thursday, February 9th, 2012. All the best!
******************* THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED *******************
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)