Ushering in the Lunar New Year

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

In contrast to Chinese New Year in Asia with family and friends, over here it is a work day for most people. The snow that we “ordered for Christmas” finally arrived and Ro-Ri San had to fire up the snow thrower to clear the driveway. He took the day off to accompany me while the boys were at school. After breakfast, he drove out to the post office to get me the first day issue of the Lunar New Year stamp sheet.

Have you ever wondered why the ideogram 福 (Fú), shown in the red plaque is always hung upside down for Chinese New Year? Fú means good fortune or prosperity and hanging it upside down signifies that prosperity had arrived at the household. It is a clever pun on the word 倒 (dǎo) or upside down which sounds like the word 到 (dào) which means arrive. That’s the Chinese New Year trivia for today. :)

Likewise, foods are considered auspicious because they are puns on Chinese words. A classic example is this dish Ho See Fatt Choy which literally means good business and good fortune in the Cantonese dialect. Ho see is oyster and fatt choy is sea moss. My family’s interpretation of the dish is the one below.

Chai Choy is always served on the first day of the Chinese New Year at my parents’ home in Malaysia. It is a vegetarian dish consisting of mushrooms, cloud ears, lily buds, bean curd sheet, mung bean threads, bean curd sheets, red dates, ginkgo nuts, fried gluten, napa cabbage, and sea moss. My Grand Aunt served this dish together with Ho See Fatt Choy. Over here, I combine both dishes into our Chinese New Year Eve (Reunion) dinner.

Since I will not be sharing a recipe today, I will show you some of the other dishes I prepared for yesterday’s dinner. This is my third year preparing Yee Sang. Click here for the recipe.

I also made Lobak (Five-Spice Meat Rolls) and Siao Bak (Crackly Pork) and lined the plate with sang choy (lettuce). The word sang choy literally means growth in riches and wealth in the Cantonese dialect.

On Saturday, we were invited to our friend’s home for a Korean Lunar New Year feast. I was so delighted she made these beautiful Mandu (Korean dumplings).

The mandus were added to their traditional Rice Cake Soup.

Our Vietnamese friend brought steamed glutinous rice with lap cheong (Chinese sausage) and dried shrimps.

My contribution was Lobak (Five-Spice Meat Rolls).

There were many other dishes but interestingly the Korean Japchae though sounds similar to the Chinese Chap Chai has very different ingredients and taste. Both are delicious! Do check out my vegetarian version of Japchae here.

Here are some of the other Chinese New Year dishes found on this blog. Please click on the picture to get to the recipe.

Wishing you all a very HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS LUNAR NEW YEAR!

1. Biren,

恭喜发财!Gong Hei Fa Choy! Love all the dishes especially the Chai Choy with sea moss. That’s my favourite!

Kong Hei Fatt Choy! I love Chai Choy too. I seldom ever cook it at other times of the year so it is kind of special for CNY. :)

2. Jenny Ooi says:

OHHH MY! OOHHHH MY! What a feast! Great pictures too!

Look at the delicious spread of food! :D

Happy Chinese New Year to you and your famliy!

4. Everything looks delicious! Nothing beats good food shared with family and wonderful friends! Happy Lunar New Year, Biren!

5. Jeannie says:

Every dish looks beautiful and delicious, my favorite is the lobak:)

6. Shri says:

Biren! Wish you a very happy new year! Loved the snapshots of holiday treats. The dumplings look perfect!

7. Happy New Year Biren♥♥♥
    All of your dishes look amazing and have made my mouth water something fierce!! Japchae is one of my favorite dishes but I’m dying to try your Five Spice Meat Rolls and Ho See Fatt Choy! Yummy! Wishing you all the best for the coming year!!

The five-spice meat rolls are a a favorite of the family. I normally make a double batch to keep the boys happy. The Ho See Fatt Choy is more of an adult’s dish but a must try! :)

8. Happy Lunar New Year, Biren!

9. Happy Lunar New Year! This looks like quite a feast! I love the sound of 5-spice meat rolls!

10. PolaM says:

What a feast! And everything looks delicious!

11. Reeni says:

What a wonderful feast Biren! Happy and Prosperous Lunar New Year to you and your family!

12. momgateway says:

Biren, Looks like the Chai Choi looks is such a healthy dish!

13. Happy Lunar New Year to you and your family!! I loved all the dishes you prepared… really amazing food!! Great way to usher in the New Year!! All the best to you!

14. wok with ray says:

My goodness, Biren — I don’t think I can handle these lineup of delicious food! So, when do I come for dinner? Hahaha! Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family, Biren!! :)

15. rebecca says:

so hungry now great food, happy new year

16. Juliana says:

Happy New Year Biren…everything looks great, I especially like how the Korean dumplings look…very cute!
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

17. Happy Chinese New Year Birne…every dish looks fantastic! I was thinking of making the Ho See Fat Choy but got lazy last minute:)The meat roll looks so delicious…it’s one of those dishes I really miss lot. Thanks for this mouth-watering post.

There is still time to cook Ho See Fatt Choy. There are probably countless ways of preparing the dish and I am curious as to how you will prepare it. Yes, meat rolls are always a favorite. I normally prepare a double batch as my boys love them. Happy Chinese New Year!

18. What a feast! I hope you had a wonderful time with family and friends… Happy CNY to you! :D My favorite bits of that feast would have to be the meat rolls and crackling pork! Yummy! Fabulous post, Biren!

19. Happy lunar new year!!! I love reading about all of your culinary traditions. All of these dishes look amazing.

1. January 26, 2012