Broccoli Beef Stir-Fry is a very popular Chinese dish in the US. It makes sense since both broccoli and beef are easily available here. Broccoli can be found in the stores year round and prices do not change that much from one season to the next. Besides being a very tasty dish, it is also an attractive one with the bright green broccoli mixed in. Sometimes a little carrot and red pepper are thrown into the mix. This dish makes a complete meal served with a bowl of steamed rice.
I do not remember having had this dish when I was growing up. Beef is usually paired with green onions or scallions. For many Chinese families, pork and chicken are the preferred meats and beef is rarely cooked at home. It is considered to have a strong flavor and ginger is almost always used to mask that flavor. For some, beef is not eaten because of religious reasons. Also historically, the oxen or buffalo were useful farming animals and respected. Thus, it was believed that they were not to be repaid by being eaten.
This simple broccoli beef stir-fry can be cooked in under 10 minutes. I like to add a little green or red pepper to the dish. Sometimes, I use celery in place of broccoli. Sesame oil is best added at the end of as it tends to lose its flavor when over heated.
- 1 lb (450g) sirloin beef steak, still partially frozen
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- ⅛ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 in knob ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pips garlic, minced
- 1 broccoli crown, cut into florets with stem peeled and sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- Trim fat from around beef. Slice against the grain as thinly as possible. Marinate beef with soy sauce, Shao Hsing cooking wine, pepper, and cornstarch for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or large pan. Add broccoli and red bell pepper. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the pan. Fry ginger for 1 minute. Add garlic and fry for another 30 seconds. Add beef by spreading it out in the pan. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup (60ml) water followed by cooked broccoli and red bell pepper. Stir to get everything well mixed. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle sesame oil over beef and vegetables, if using.
- Remove and serve immediately with steamed rice.
NOTE: This post was updated on April 21st, 2014 with new pictures and video.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎