Cantaloupe and Mango Sorbet

One of the best things about having your own ice cream maker is that you can create a myriad of flavors not available at the stores. The possibilities are endless with the abundance of fruits at this time of the year. Other popular flavors include chocolate, peanut butter, and liqueur for the adults. You can also make it as light and healthy or as rich and creamy as your heart desires.

With the warmer weather upon us, it is time to bring out your the ice cream maker and start putting it to work. If you are thinking of getting one, now is the time to do it. For a long time I was hesitant. Finally, Ro-Ri San brought one home for me two years back and we have been enjoying some really cool flavors. Do check them out. Just click on the picture to get to the post.

Recently, the boys developed a liking for cantaloupe and so I try to pick up a melon or two whenever I am grocery shopping. A ripe melon is a sweet melon but it is not always easy to find one. I like to keep the melon on the counter for a couple of days so that it has a chance to fully ripen. It is definitely worth the wait!

My favorite fruit is the mango. We only have two to three types of mangoes here but it is good enough for me. The longish ones from the Asian market are especially sweet and delicious. I can’t resist buying a few whenever I am there. Sometimes I buy the entire case so that I get to enjoy them throughout the week.

This is the first time I am making sorbet. Melons and cream don’t mix. For this sorbet, I decided to combine the cantaloupe and mango for a more concentrated flavor. Cantaloupe is delicious eaten on its own but when juiced or pureed, it can be pretty mild. Because both fruits are pretty sweet, I only added one third cup of sugar. Please feel free to add more sugar if you prefer.

Cantaloupe and Mango Sorbet

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 1.5 quarts
  • 1 small (3 lbs/1.3kg) very ripe cantaloupe
  • 1 (12 oz/340g) mango
  • ⅓ cup (110g) sugar
  • ⅓ cup (120ml) water
  1. Freeze ice cream bowl for 24 hours.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Remove and allow it to cool.
  3. Cut cantaloupe in half. Scoop out the seeds. Then cut into wedges and remove the rind. Finally, cut wedges into chunks. Peel mango and cut into chunks.
  4. Puree cantaloupe and mango in a blender or processor until very smooth.
  5. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix in the syrup. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  6. Place frozen bowl on base of ice cream maker and turn it on. Pour chilled mixture into frozen bowl and churn until desired consistency, about 10 to 15 minutes.
  7. If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer sorbet to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours.
Notes
For a sweeter sorbet, increase sugar to a ½ cup to be dissolved in ½ cup water.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. says

I have never made sorbet either, though I do enjoy it in hot weather. You know I have mangoes in the fridge and that ice cream maker in the store room πŸ˜› But, I think I’ll just drool over yours πŸ˜€ Lovely pictures, btw.

2. says

What a great combination of flavors. I can’t wait to make room in my freezer to freeze my ice cream bowl so I can start making some ice cream too. :) Loved your other ice cream too. Have a great weekend! ~ Ramona

3. says

I love making sorbet! You’re right – there are SO many possibilities! I love the cantaloupe and mango combination! I’ve made just mango, but not cantaloupe. Sounds wonderful! I pulled my ice cream make out a couple of weeks ago and have already made 3 sorbets. :) Of course mine is over 20 years old and the type where you have to put the blue ice in the freezer overnight and then self-crank. No big deal since I went from the HUGE manual ice cream makers where you use rock salt. :) Putting this sorbet on my list to try! Have a great weekend.

4. says

Looks wonderful, and what a great combination of flavours. I used to freeze pureed mango into popsicles. It was the first ‘solid’ food my son ever ate. He was sitting on his dad’s knee and grabbed the popsicle out of his hands and shoved it into his mouth! I’m going to give sorbet a go – I’m sure he’ll love it just as much. :-)

5. says

A colleague has been “persuading” me to get an ice-cream maker for a year already, and I’m still hesitant. Mmmmm…. after, looking at your sorbet, I’m drooling, Biren πŸ˜€ It’s not as difficult as I had envisaged…. Love melons, but I think I’d add some acidity to the sorbet, with a squeeze of some lemon or lime juice πŸ˜€ Thanks for the cool ideas, Biren!

6. says

I haven’t made homemade sorbet in ages. And never a cantaloupe one (mango, yes). Great idea, and good recipe. You’ve inspired me! Good post – thanks.

7. says

Mmmm…looks lovely, you are so creative with the ice cream machine. I have one all ready in the freezer, I just have to get going making it. You always inspire me when it comes to ice cream. I still want to make the ginger tea ice cream…my daughter is now drinking ginger tea, so I think I will have to make it for sure. Otherwise I thought I’d be the ony one eating it. :)

Trackbacks

1. […] To keep the meal light and fresh, I served the chicken with a cold Cucumber and Tomato Raita, a side dish dressed with yogurt, cumin, mustard seeds, and mint leaves. It was a nice counterpoint to the grilled chicken. Other side dishes like steamed corn-on-the cob or a toss vegetable salad will also be delicious. For dessert, we had homemade Cantaloupe and Mango Sorbet. […]

2. […] The cantaloupe was from Guatemala. When I cut open the melon, I was surprised by the color of its flesh. It was a deep orange color, almost like a mix of orange and red. It reminded me of blood oranges though not as deep. The flesh is really fragrant, succulent, and very sweet. I can’t wait to go back and get another one to make ice cream or sorbet. […]