Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters

Modern technology is amazing. You are reading this post as though I have just written it, while in truth I am somewhere out there in the sky flying towards Malaysia. Blogging can be such a “many-splendored thing” with scheduled posting! In anticipation of my trip to Asia, I have been in a cooking frenzy to populate my folders with postings to fill all of the month of June. I did get a little help from friends in guest postings. Sometimes, it takes a village to run a food blog. 8) So, please continue to visit and comment and I will try to respond whenever I can. Do follow me on Facebook as I will be sharing updates and pictures there.

This spring, corn is making an early appearance in our grocery stores (fresh corn is like a summer staple here in Minnesota). In deciding to combine corn with tofu, I have in mind to provide a vegan and gluten-free version of an earlier recipe that I had published entitled Tofu Fish Balls. I must say that my carnivores at home were almost lulled into thinking that they were wolfing down their usual meaty fare. It was almost a gastronomic footnote for them to realize that they were in vegan-mode as far as this dish went.

By the way, this “veganizing” otherwise meat dishes is not a new phenomenon as the Chinese have been making vegetarian duck, chicken, fish, pork trotters(!) for centuries. It is always a fun challenge to re-create some of the look and taste of a familiar dish and adding a vegetarian twist to it. In many such recipes, soy products are king. Tofu and bean curd sheets have been the building blocks for providing both texture and sources of protein.

Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters

I added some Chinese chives for a slight garlicky aroma. The corn provided the sweetness and crunch. These delightfully tasty Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They were gone in a blink of an eye. ;)

Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters

Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters

• 12 oz (340g) extra firm tofu, well drained
  • 2 corn yielding about 1½ cups(250g) cooked corn kernels
  • 1 oz (30g) Chinese chives
  • 2 tbsp (16g) rice flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • Canola oil for deep frying

Boil corn in a large pot of water for about 7 minutes. When cooked, remove from pot and slice corn kernels from the cob.

Process tofu in until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.

Add corn kernels, Chinese chives, rice flour, and salt. Mix until well combined.

Heat canola oil in a deep pan. Using two spoons, shape heaping spoonfuls of tofu mixture into balls. Drop into hot oil and deep fry until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Serve warm.

Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters

1. kitchenriffs says:

Have a great trip! We just gotten our first corn of the season, and it’s of really good quality – surprising for the time of year. And this is a great way to combine it with tofu. Really nice recipe – thanks.

2. Ruby says:

Love fresh corn! These are so pretty and I like that they’re vegan too. Hope you have a great trip, and give please Denise a squeeze for me! :-)

Fresh corn is really the best. Hard to resist when I see them at the stores.

Thanks Ruby! Apart from the humidity I am enjoying myself. :)

3. Oh, how cool is that? You can write and post form anywhere!!! I just have today and tomorrow and then I’ll have a couple of monthes off for the summer. Hope to be around and on facebook more! Have a great time in Malaysia, I wish I was going with you! These fritter sound great! Love the chives in there! :D

Enjoy your trip! :)

The tofu fritters are such tasty and healthy bites.

5. Patty says:

Have a wonderful trip Biren! I love your very creative tofu dish, especially the added corn;-)

6. love that you added in the tofu! Simply delicious and I bet it goes so well with the corn. Chives are one of my favorite herbs so i am all over this!

7. Wow time flies so fast. It’s already your traveling time! Have a safe trip Biren!! I’m looking forward to hear stories from Malaysia!

These fritters look fluffy and delicious. My kids love this kind of texture. You made them so neatly – almost identical! =) Enjoy your time with friends and family!

8. kristy says:

Oh my oh my Biren, these fritters look incredibly delicious and very very tempting too. I think hubby will do anything for me if I make these for him. haha….
    Hope you’re having a great week ahead, dear.
    Blessings
    Kristy

9. Ramona says:

I think this is one of the best ways I have seen tofu prepared!! What a fantastic fritter!

10. Love those corn fritters with tofu!

11. Deep fried tofu balls, yum! I’d eat them with some sweet chili sauce

12. Raymund says:

I think I would love this, well done

13. PolaM says:

Looks delicious! Have to hop to the farmers’ market

14. mjskit says:

Even though they are fried, I wouldn’t feel guilty at all about eating these! Delicious fritters! Have a great trip!

15. Nasifriet says:

I can imagine these fritters were gone in a jiffy. They’re gorgeous – visual and taste ! Great idea to use tofu, instead of flour. Will definitely give this a try, maybe with some other herbs and spices, like coriander, cumin, onions and the list goes on.

Wow… Biren! I envy you heading direction Asia! Haven’t been back since 2008. Do bring back lots and lots of the Nyonya and other Asian recipes and share them with us :-D

Enjoy your hols!

16. Lesli Mark says:

this site is very useful for my family, especially my wife
    Thanks

17. Hi Biren, yes technology can be a wondrous thing! A village running a blog :D So true!!!

These fritters look wickedly good! I really want to make and eat them!

18. I absolutely love these!

19. Sarah says:

Could I use beans in place of the tofu?