Peanut Butter and Cream Cheese Dip

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Fall is almost here! The days are definitely getting shorter. The trees are changing color and the leaves are beginning to fall. Scarves and sweater days will soon be here and I am looking forward to the crisp weather and the fun activities of the season. A trip to the orchard for apple picking, a drive through the country to watch the fall colors, and a visit to the pumpkin patch are “musts”. Fall is my favorite season.

Although apple season has begun, we have not gone apple picking yet as it is still pretty warm. We did however, go to the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum’s Apple House this past weekend. They were selling Zestar, the early season apple with a crisp, juicy texture, and an exciting zesty flavor with a hint of brown sugar. This is a good snacking apple and one that we really enjoy.

Apples at the Apple House are sold in pecks, a US customary unit of dry volume. Each of the paper bags in the picture above is a half peck while the plastic bags as shown below are a full peck. There were eleven good size apples in my half peck.

As soon as we got home, I sliced two apples for the family. They were so fresh and juicy. As we were snacking away, I was reminded of a delicious dip I had at a friend’s house some time back. I did not get the exact recipe from her but she told me there were peanut butter and cream cheese in it. I was anxious to give it a try.

I had to go to the store for both the peanut butter and cream cheese. My favorite peanut butter is the type made in small batches from the health food store. They come salted and unsalted. I decided to get the crunchy and salted one for this dip but creamy will also work. I used honey as the sweetener and a little milk to thin out the mixture. Add more milk if you prefer the dip to be more runny.

This dip has a sweet-salty combination and works really well with crunchy fruits, vegetables, and pretzels. Do give it a try.

Peanut Butter and Cream Cheese Dip

Yield: 1½ cups

Peanut Butter and Cream Cheese Dip

• ½ cup (115g) peanut butter (your choice of chunky or creamy)
  • ½ cup (115g) cream cheese
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • ¼ cup (60ml) milk
  • 3 crunchy apples, sliced

Combine all ingredients except apples in a medium sized bowl. Mix thoroughly until smooth and creamy.

Place in a bowl and serve with sliced apples.

I am sending this to In and Out of the Kitchen Link-up Party over at Feeding Big.

1. Wow..that’s a delicious dip..

2. Ruby says:

Interesting, Biren. I often mix peanut butter and honey as a dip for my kids, but haven’t tried it with cream cheese. That probably makes it a better dip consistency – will give it a go!

I can understand that as the peanut butter I grew up with was sweet just like the popcorn too. The ones here are salty. This dip is relatively new to me but I do like the combination and consistency. I hope you will give it a try.

3. Baby Sumo says:

I know a friend who would love this… he’s a peanut butter fanatic! :)

4. Hi Biren, I love peanut butter and there is always a bottle in my fridge. This dip looks so good and I’m sure it is smooth and creamy. Would love to try this during the weekends.

I always have some peanut butter in the fridge too. This dip is really easy to put together and it can easily be halved. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

5. kitchenriffs says:

We haven’t seen any local apples yet in our markets, but I know they’ll be here soon. Can’t wait! Love the dip you’ve put together – sounds like it’ll combine so well with the apples. Thanks for the idea!

6. A quick and delicious afternoon snack.

7. What a terrific combination. I would never have thought to combine peanut butter and cream cheese. This is the perfect afternoon snack for kids and adults alike.

8. Blackswan says:

Hey Biren, this is such a delicious dip! Better than snacking on chips. This is a healthier option :)

9. Ramona says:

Yes.. yes.. yes!! Sign me up for this combo. :)

10. what a great idea! i love to eat peanut butter straight from the jar, so this is a good way to kind of lighten it up! i could see this becoming a staple for me :)

11. mjskit says:

What a great dip for apple! Sometimes I’ll just spread peanut butter on apple slices for a snack. I’ve got to pick up some cream cheese and try this because it sounds so good! BTW – this is a different recipe for you, but like all of your recipes – a GOOD one! :)

I have also done that as a quick measure. This combination is tastier and the consistency works better for the apples. Yes, this is a little different but actually we do eat a lot more American food than what I share here. :) Glad to hear you like the recipes. Many thanks for your kind words and support.

12. Jeannie says:

That dip looks to die for….and sinful! hmmm…eat first worry later lol! I enjoy eating just plain apples too, must be crispy of course!

It is a tasty dip and not too sinful. I used reduced fat cream cheese and the peanut butter is organic with just a little added salt. :) Yes, crunchy apples are delicious!

13. Ooooh! I love salty sweet combinations and always add a pinch of salt to my desserts, especially Asian desserts. The apples are gorgeous and the second pic looks like the apples came from your farm ;) You know, I’ve never been apple picking before….

Me too! Adding a little salt tends to enhance the flavor of sweet dishes. I used to have two apple trees in my yard which started bearing fruits in the second year of planting. I had to prop up the branches as they were so heavy with fruits. Missed those trees.

You should come visit in the fall and I can bring you apple picking. It’s a lot of fun and beautiful too out in the orchards when the leaves change color.

14. Raymund says:

Very odd combination but surely I will try it, looks so interesting yet delicious

1. September 10, 2012