Kiwi Kale Smoothie

Kiwi Kale Smoothie

We are finally done with all the major holidays, at least for now. It is time to get back to a healthier and leaner diet after the feasting of the past two months. I am so looking forward to lighter foods and warmer days. While it is still cold here, the days are slowly getting brighter and longer again. Spring will be here in slightly over a month…YAY!

Of late, you have probably noticed that I am into smoothies. Our day starts early because of school and work and so breakfast is early. By mid morning I feel like I need a little something to carry me through. Since I do not favor chewing on fruits and raw vegetables at that time, incorporating them into a smoothie is a good way to get the nutrients into the body. I find it light and refreshing and it gives me a boost of energy. On days when I take a smoothie, it is not necessary for me to do lunch. Works out really well for me.

Kiwi Kale Smoothie

I usually use unsweetened soy milk as a base for my smoothies since that is what my boys drink in the morning. We love soy milk but it has a stronger flavor which may not always combine well with some fruits. Coconut milk in cartons is a good option as it has a very mild flavor but it is not something I purchase on a regular basis. I only buy it occasionally for curries and desserts. That leaves me with rice or almond milk. I decided to go with the latter this time because they were on sale at my regular health food store last week. These do not come refrigerated and so I bought a couple of cartons to store in the pantry.

The regular almond milk is lightly sweetened with 7 grams of sugar per serving and it worked really well in this Kiwi Kale Smoothie. There is no need to add any sweetener to the smoothie. In fact, I really enjoyed the slightly tangy combination. The bits of kale provided some roughage and I love the color it lent to the smoothie! :)

Kiwi Kale Smoothie

Kiwi Kale Smoothie

• 1 kiwi fruit, peeled
  • ½ cup (30g) packed shredded kale leaves, stem removed
  • 1 cup (240ml) almond milk

Combine kiwi fruit, kale, and almond milk in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Remove and serve immediately.

Kiwi Kale Smoothie

1. Ramona says:

That looks totally healthy! I was curious to see what milk you used with the kiwi. I found out the hard way that kiwi does not mix with dairy… it becomes very bitter. Almond milk is a great choice for the smoothie. :)

I only found out recently that the enzyme in kiwi turns milk bitter. Strangely I did not have that experience in my Kiwi Banana smoothie. Not sure if the banana helped neutralize the effects a little. I do like the almond milk though as it is lighter.

2. Victoria says:

This is a beautiful smoothie! The almond milk added some great protein too, I’m sure. I definitely need to get back on the healthy train after the holidays. Been traveling a bit and it’s been hard to get back on track!

The past two months hasn’t been good in terms of diet. Like you say, it is time to get back onto the healthy train and this smoothie is a great one to start with. :)

3. mjskit says:

I love the idea of use kiwi and kale together! What a yummy smoothie!

4. I’m thinking I may need to get on the breakfast smoothie bandwagon. Lack of time, the need to lose weight, and find a convenient way to get something so easy and so nutritious into my body all make it a very tempting option :) Never would have thought to include something as grassy and possibly bitter like kale, but I might just try it! Thanks for the inspiration…

Do come along on the ride! I think you will not be disappointed. It is kind of fun to mix up all the fruits and veges and see what it taste like. For some reason, I have never thought of kale as bitter. This bunch that I bought are almost like baby kale. In fact, I was munching them as I went along preparing for the smoothie. :)

5. Carole says:

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about shakes and smoothies. I do hope you link this lovely one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

6. Patricia says:

Awesome! I love smoothies and this one sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!

7. PolaM says:

What an interesting flavor combination! Maybe I should follow your lead and start preparing for summer… but the snow is still here!