Every year after the Thanksgiving turkey dinner, Ro-Jiro would drop hints about a follow up dish in the form of a pot pie using the leftover turkey. I usually oblige him but with the most recent Thanksgiving, I used up the meat for this Turkey Congee. For that reason he was not able to get his pot pie fix up until now. Although there was a delay this time round, I think he would agree with me that it was well worth his wait. 😉
Since St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, I decided to make the filling with a touch of the Irish using potatoes and leeks, two ingredients very popular in the Emerald Isle. I had one remaining sheet of puff pastry in the freezer and so I used it as a topper for the pies. That made it really easy as I only needed to concentrate on the filling which is pretty straight forward and simple.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1¼ lb (565g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 medium (½ lb/225g) leeks, sliced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups (420ml) milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- 1 lb (450g) Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sheet (9 oz/250g) puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Melt butter in a medium sized pan. Cook chicken for 5 minutes until browned all over.
- Add leeks and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Gradually pour in milk and bring to a boil.
- Add mustard, sage, potatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Divide filling into 4 equal portions. Spoon each portion into an individual 5-inch pie plate.
- Cut puff pastry into 4. Top each pie plate with puff pastry, trimming off excess. Press or crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush pastry with egg wash. Place pie plates on a tray and bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 23 to 25 minutes.
Ro-Jiro thoroughly enjoyed his Potato, Leek, and Chicken Pot Pie and so did the rest of the family. As soon as he finished his, he requested that I make it again soon. I guess it may be a good idea for me to replenish my freezer with another box of puff pastry soon.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎