If you have never tried Cara Cara oranges, you should run to the stores right now. They are the juiciest and sweetest oranges I have ever tasted. It was love at first sight when I cut into these beauties. Their flesh is a pinkish salmon color and they are seedless too! Combining them with blackberries and baby greens was a no-brainer. The contrasting colors further enhanced their gorgeous color. Served with homemade Orange Poppy Seed Vinaigrette, this delightful Cara Cara Orange Blackberry Salad is a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds.
According to this source, Cara Cara oranges are in season from December through April. It is no wonder you do not see them as the summer progresses. Fortunately, they are still available in my neck of the woods although it is now early May. They do cost a bit more but they are worth trying. I will definitely be buying a few more before the season ends.
One of our favorite dressings for a fruit salad is poppy seed dressing. I used freshly squeezed orange juice in place of vinegar for this homemade dressing. You can use any kind of oranges for this purpose. I added some cider vinegar and honey to round off the taste. The honey may be adjusted or omitted depending on the sweetness of the orange juice used.
Be sure to give the dressing a good shake before drizzling over the salad as the temporary emulsion will settle and separate into layers. It is interesting that the poppy seeds formed the second layer separating the oil and the juice. I think it is actually quite pretty.
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 5 oz (140g) baby spring mix
- 6 oz (170g) blackberries
- ½ cup (50g) toasted walnut halves
- ½ cup (120ml) freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off the skin from the oranges. Cut each orange into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Divide baby spring mix evenly between 4 salad plates. Place 4 to 5 slices of oranges, a few blackberries, and some walnuts on top of the spring mix on each plate.
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in an empty bottle. Put on the lid and give it a good shake until everything is well mixed. Drizzle over fruits and vegetables.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!