Even though no-boil lasagna has been around for sometime, I only chance upon it quite by accident recently. I was thinking of making lasagna roll-ups and drove out to buy my usual gluten free brand of pasta. I trust the brand and so I just picked up a box of their lasagna at the store without a second thought. Only until I was ready to cook the pasta did I read the instructions and it stated very clearly that I was not to boil the pasta. This means that my plan for roll-ups would not work and since I had the meat sauce and cheese ready, I had to proceed. I got out a pan and made these No-Boil Gluten-Free and Egg-Free Lasagna instead and they turned out to be pretty amazing!
According to this source, no-boil and traditional lasagna noodles are not interchangeable. No-boil lasagna will become soupy if it is precooked and will not absorb the extra liquid placed in the pan as required. Traditional lasagna on the other hand, will become starchy and gummy if it is not precooked. So, there you have it. Do not interchange the noodles. I am glad I changed my plans instead of going ahead and boiling those no-boil lasagna noodles for the roll-ups. I am very happy with the outcome and will likely stay with no-boil pasta in the foreseeable future.
Be sure to totally cover the no-boil pasta with the meat sauce and cheese mixture. The moisture from the sauces is needed to soften and rehydrate the noodles. I have omitted the eggs in this recipe but added feta cheese instead.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 can (14.5oz/411g) diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1¾ cups (15oz/425g) low fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (2 oz/56g) feta cheese crumbles
- 24 oz (675g) tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 9 strips no-boil rice lasagna
- 1 cup (4oz/115g) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add beef and onions and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil and oregano followed by diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow meat sauce to simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Combine ricotta and feta cheese in a bowl. Mix well.
- Spread 1 cup (225g) pasta sauce at the base of a 9-in x 13-in (23cm x 33cm) pan. Place 3 strips of uncooked rice lasagna on top of the pasta sauce. Then add ⅓ of the cheese mixture followed by ⅓ of the beef mixture. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on the top.
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 hour or until pasta is cooked through.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!