For many residents of the Twin Cities, driving up to the Great Lakes is a good weekend getaway. It takes only 3 hours to get to Duluth and the shores of Lake Superior. We drove a little further northeast this time to Hancock, Michigan, a 7-hour journey from home. The drive was very pleasant and weather was great. We had a lovely time.
Hancock is situated on the Keweenaw Peninsula, separated from the rest of Upper Michigan by Portage Lake. A double-decked vertical lift bridge joins the city to Houghton in the south. The view from here is truly scenic. Looking at this right now, it is hard to believe they had over 300 inches of snow this past winter!
One of the highlights of visiting Lake Superior is the opportunity to eat fresh water fish. The deep cold waters are an abundant source of whitefish, trout, walleye, pike, and many other species. They are said to have a firmer and finer texture. Family owned fish markets like Peterson’s offers a variety of fresh and smoked fish at very reasonable prices. They also serve chowders, baked, and fried fish in their adjoining restaurant.
I bought some whitefish and trout at Peterson’s. As soon as I got home, I surfed the internet for ideas and came across this wonderful Pistachio Pesto Crusted Salmon. After I read the recipe, I was eager to give it a try.
This Pistachio Pesto Crusted Whitefish recipe was adapted from Citronlimette. Halibut, cod, tilapia, or sole may be used in place of whitefish. Do give it a try. You will not be disappointed.
My friend, Marie Poulin is a Personal Chef in Sarasota, Florida. She has created and tested a great number of recipes and favors fresh, seasonal, and local ingredients. Please visit her blog, Citronlimette for more vibrant, delicious, and healthy recipes.
- 4 pieces (6 oz/170g each) whitefish (may be substituted with halibut, cod, tilapia,sole)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (30g) rice puffs or gluten-free rice Krispies, finely crushed or processed
- 1 cup (35g) fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup (25g) toasted pistachios
- ¼ cup (28g) shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Rinse and pat dry white fish with paper towels. Place skin side down on lined baking tray. Drizzle lemon juice over the top then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine basil, garlic, pistachios, parmesan cheese, and salt in a food processor. Give it a few pulses. With machine running, gradually add olive oil through the feed tube of food processor. Process until smooth.
- Divide pistachio pesto into 4 portions. Spread each portion evenly onto each slab of white fish.
- Sprinkle finely crushed rice Krispies on the top to form a crust.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎